“Great unexpensive place to stay in Venice, 5 minutes from San Marco.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Istituto San Giuseppe
Ranked #20 of 214 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Québec (ville), Canada
“Great unexpensive place to stay in Venice, 5 minutes from San Marco.”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed there three nites in July 2013. The room was great no air condition but clean and had a private shower and toilet. The nuns were very nice. One was from the Philippines and spoke great English. There is also a Coop nearby where you can buy food, water, etc... if you do not want to spend your hard earned money in the expensive restaurants. I would go back any time. It is just accross PONTE DE LA GUERRA. I took the water taxi! Mistake. It costed me 60 Euros! I was so tired that evening, having arrived from Vienna by train to Villach, and then bus to Mestre and from there train again to Santa Lucia. To go to the airport, as i flew directly to Montréal, i took the public transport and it costed only 15 euros.It was a great stay, as i could go to San Marco's place early in the morning before the crowds got there. They have great little cafe bars not far from the convents for breakfeast. I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Vending machine in the convent for drinks.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Margarete55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Manhattan Beach, CA
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My daughter and I stayed here in May 2012 for 2 nights and loved the location. Like others before me have said, the rooms are basic but clean. Our had a view of rooftops from the bedroom and from the bathroom window we could see the top of St. Mark's Basilica. The price was really great for the location though I enlisted my friend in Rome to assist with the reservation because finding a contact was difficult for some reason. I chose to go directly through the convent and not through the online booking companies and they require 1 night deposit which wasn't an issue for me because I use XE Trade (highly recommend!!). The curfew was a little bit of a bummer but we weren't planning any wild nights out and location/cost was more important to me. There is a great little co-op market down the path away from the foot bridge and take the first left (it's on the right) where we bought food and the convent has a fridge where you can store it. The internet proved a bit spotty for us but after the nuns made several attempts to adjust our sign in code it finally worked. Getting that process started as soon as you check in would be a good idea since they seem to rely on one nun in particular to handle it for them. Leaving around 5am to get to the ferry that takes you to the airport was actually really cool because you have to walk through St. Mark's Square and it's completely deserted. It is etched in my memory as it was the last place in Venice I saw before leaving and amazingly beautiful in the peace of the early morning light, without all the crowds of people.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC works!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Luv2Travel90266
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This convent was an old Palazzo. The room itself was basic but clean. We had 3 twin beds which was kind of odd for a couple! But it really is an excellent value considering the location. It is kind of hard to find actually. We took the Alilaguna water bus from Marco Polo (€16pp) then we got off the Rialto Bridge. We got seriously lost. I think what would have helped tremendously is knowing that the convent was the Palazzo Tosca Papafava listed in the official Venezia Map they're selling at the tourist booth at the airport! The free wifi only works in the common areas. Reserving the room with them directly saves $$. Just email them at ospitality@alice.it. They require a 1 night deposit which needs to be electronically wired to their bank. I did it thru xoom.com for $5. Also be sure they receive your deposit for the room to avoid confusion at check out. Their staff speaks english. The nuns are friendly as well. They only accept cash. This accommodation really isn't for a romantic getaway but for those who want to stay in the middle of the action without breaking the bank!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DionneKaye
Champaign
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My family of six stayed at the Istituto San Giuseppe for three days for New Years Eve. I booked the rooms through Monastery Stays. The website for Monastery Stays is easy to navigate and reserve rooms (we also stayed in a convent in Florence). The location of the Istituto could not be better as it is only a 5 minute walk to either the Piazza San Marco or the Rialto Bridge. We had two rooms of three beds. The rooms are about the quality of a dorm but they do have their own bathrooms. The curfew was not too difficult to manage, and the sisters did allow us to come in after curfew on New Years Eve. There is WiFi only the upper lounge and there is no breakfast, but since you are just steps from San Marco, breakfast is easy to find. You do have to pay in cash on the day before you leave so make sure you hit the cash machine a couple of times before that day. Note: it is much easier to reach the Istituto from the San Marco vaporetto stop than from the Rialto vaporetto stop with luggage.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank army_arch
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I feel very neutral about this place. I think I would give it more stars if I knew Italian. It is not too difficult to find, but my husband said the Google Map had it in the wrong place. I couldn't make heads or tails of the Venice streets to begin with, so I have to take his word for it. They do send a map when you make reservations, so he said it is better to use that one.

The best thing about this place is it is 5 minutes from St. Mark's Square. You are right in the middle of the action. It is clean and well-kept. It does not include breakfast, but there is a fridge and tables you can use. However, most of the nuns do not know English and I felt like they were not quick to call someone if we needed help. On more than one occasion they tried to speak to us in Italian, going on for several minutes. We kept shaking our heads and saying "no speak" in Italian, but they were insistent. On the last day, we finally met the person who spoke good English. In general, this was frustrating for us because on the last night we needed to leave the convent at 5am for an early flight. They lock you in, so there had to be someone up to let us out. This was difficult for us to convey. Everything worked out fine, but I am not sure the stress was worth it.

Also, if you reserve directly through them, you will have to wire money to them for a deposit, which made me a little leery. Then, even though I e-mailed twice, they never sent confirmation that they received my wire. So, I felt like I was going to Venice unsure if I had a room at all. Also, wiring money was expensive - I paid $35 for it through my bank. I paid 80 euros a night for the convent plus taxes, so the $35 made it more than $10 more a night. I just want you all to know this up front. There was nothing terrible about this place, but not really much good either. I would look into staying somewhere else next time I went to Venice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon S
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Small but pristine accommodations. Wonderful location. Stayed there four nights in July, 2012. Here are the directions to get there: Walking - From the train station take the fast boat #2 (not the #1 milk train). Get off at Rialto Bridge. Turn left and walk past the Rialto Bridge. Look off to your right for S. Lio Street. Cross the bridge. Go three blocks to the dead-end T, and turn right. Go one block and turn right just before the next bridge. The Istituto is half a block straight ahead.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank venicesarasota
Scone, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our family stayed at the Istituto and enjoyed the central location and character of our accommodation. The rooms are basic, but extremely clean and have everything you need, including WiFi. We enjoyed seeing the children at school on our way out in the morning. The Istituto is a lovely building and we felt very at home.

Room Tip: We had two rooms with three beds each - not sure if they do doubles. Very quiet and secure location
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family