“Great Masks, Lovely Atmosphere”
Review of Ca' Macana

Ca' Macana
Ranked #2 of 297 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Buy your mask for the next Venetian festival at this shop, which specializes in the traditional Commedia dell'arte, as well as Venetian styles.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Masks, Lovely Atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

After checking out quite a few other mask shops, we visited Ca' Macana; saving it till last due to it's stellar reputation. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how lovely the staff were and by the quality of the masks. Everyone was very helpful, and we came away with what we were looking for.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Subculture85

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Sydney
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Amazing quality and affordable masks”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I spent a considerable amount of time and energy researching the best place to buy a mask from Venice and I am so happy I chose Ca' Macana. The quality of these handmade masks is exceptional and very reasonably priced for a lasting Venetian memento. I wanted my mask customized and the owner was only too happy to make the change for me on the spot while I waited. He also wrapped my mask very carefully for travel and it arrived in perfect condition. There is such a large variety of masks in many styles, shapes, colours and textures. Masks start from around 5 euro for the most basic. My only regret is I did not sign up for a workshop as we did not have much time, but will during my next visit.
You won't regret buying a mask from here. Makes a perfect gift too!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Eat-Travel-Smile
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Decorate Your Mask!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My sister and I did their one hour mask decorating workshop, and had a great time! It was quite reasonably priced and well worth the experience as well as the super meaningful souvenir we left with. It's best to call the day before to be sure they can accommodate you and to set an appointment. We were there during the off-season (but the start of carnival) and had no trouble walking right in, but I'm not sure that's always the case. Definitely a fun family activity that even children would love. I highly recommend it!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank JennyMSmith
La Jolla, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing Family Activity in Venice”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

To be honest i'm not a huge fan of family arts and crafts activities, so when wife Christine told me she had signed us up for a mask painting workshop in venice....I was less than enthusiastic. I'm glad she didn't tell me the price until it was over. it's kinda pricey, but worth every penny.

Nancy our teacher spoke flawless english and took us through the kinda strange history of masks and mask making in venice. For hundreds of years much of the population literally wore masks in public. the expressed intent was anonymity, which i suspect revolved around adult activities Nancy was kind enough to not expound upon in front of our girls ages 8 & 10.

then came the mask painting. we chose from a big selection of blank white masks all of which are hand made right in the same workshop. Then we chose a basic color scheme from tons of examples on the wall. From there is was actually much easier and enjoyable than I would have guessed. Nancy guided us through each steps in the process which resulted in something much better than I think any of us thought we were capable of.

I would highly recommend the activity for families or honestly anyone interested in an interactive Venetian history class.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank LaJollaFamily
Dauphin, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Mask making”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our kids age 13 (boy) and 10 (girl) loved the 1 hour mask making activity. Although the instructor did not not speak English, they were able to figure out how to make their masks. They had a great designing and painting their creations. Do not use google maps to find this shop. We got thoroughly lost! The one hour class did not require reservations. I would highly recommend this activity if you are in Venice. It was the kids favourite activity in Venice.

Visited August 2013