“If you're going to buy a mask, buy it here!”
Review of Ca' Macana

Ca' Macana
Ranked #3 of 323 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Buy your mask for the next Venetian festival at this shop, which specializes in the traditional Commedia dell'arte, as well as Venetian styles.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We regret that we were unable to paint a mask (very limited time in Venice) but we are happy that our tour guide pointed us to this shop. We were able to buy an 'authentic' mask. If you're going to buy one DO NOT buy one from the cheap vendors selling cheap 'made in china' masks. Why go to Venice to buy those?!

This shop had an amazing selection. We (my husband, myself and my two teen boys) had so much fun picking out our masks. The service was so great. They were so nice and didn't mind my kids trying on different masks. We were worried about the masks surviving the trip home so they wrapped them perfectly. They made it home safe and sound.
We can't wait til Halloween where we all plan to wear our masks.

3  Thank Shirell M

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Highly recommended. Reserved the two hour English speaking course, we painted two (paper mache) masks each. Great fun for the whole family, kids ages 9-14. Very nice staff member. We didn't shop at the store, only did the course. A highlight.

1  Thank brainman64
Reviewed 21 June 2014

It is overwhelming the amount of masks on sale in Venice. Once this happens, you know that you have to find the best value for money. In Ca' Macana the masks are high quality and at a great price. It is totally worth it to spend a bit more to have a good and unique mask. They ship it to your address (at a cost) or wrap it really good (we chose to bring it with us and it arrived perfectly). Another plus is the fact that the shop is located in a small street and when we visited it was not too crowded. I recommend it to everyone going to Venice!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We've seen some beautiful mask shops in Venice, but surely Camacana was our favourite! The masks were really original and of excellent quality. The staff was really friendly too. Unfortunately we did not have time for the 'decorate your own mask' workshop, but if we return to Venice, it will be on the top of our list.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stopped by on a Tuesday afternoon at about 4 and they were able to accommodate us. Both boys (11 and 17) painted a mask and I did as well. My husband wanted to take pictures so we have lots of those!

My main concern was getting the masks home (afraid they'd break or not be dry). If that is a worry, you can put that aside. After each painting step you'll blow dry the mask. By time all of us were done, the masks were not at all damp... no paint sticking to the paper. The masks are fairly thick paper mache and are wrapped when you leave. We were traveling back the next day and I'd emptied out our carryon into our checked bag and these fit in, no problem. If I had to put them in a checked bag, I'd probably support them with rolled up clothes around them.

The woman working with us spoke some English and she was very good at demonstrating what we needed to do so there really was no problem communicating. She also was good at letting my boys do their own masks after showing us how to get started.

Note that the store with all the masks for sale is where you go first and then they direct you down the way, to the right and then left to the workshop. As always with Venice, it is a maze. They have wisely taped up arrows so it really isn't that hard to find!