“My stay at d'Epoca Ca' Favrettp”

San Cassiano Residenza d'Epoca Ca' Favretto
Ranked #93 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Atlanta
“My stay at d'Epoca Ca' Favrettp”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I journeyed to Italy in October to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. I joined the group of ladies late in the planning so I was unable to secure a room in their B&B. I found this little gem and was so glad I did. First, no other hotel or B&B would extend a single rate without adding the single supplement charge. I asked for the small room on the top floor with a single bed and was offered a great rate.

Room: the room was very small but quite confortable. My window opened onto a small canal just off the grand canal. I had 2 very large windows which offered a great breeze at night and during the day. My 2 days in Venice was a perfect stay at this hotel. Now climbing 4 flights of stairs to my room was difficult the first time, but afterwards, I enjoyed the challange. By the 3rd day, I made up any excuse to climb the stairs just for the exercise.

Food: traditional breakfast with excellent coffee to include american coffee. Great local pastries and meat also. I agree, if you arrive early enough you can sit on the terrace in one of the 2 tables and enjoy the view of the grand canal.

Staff: Everyone was very kind especially knowing that I was alone. The bartender remembered that I enjoyed a specific wine and brough a glass to me every night as I sat on the balconly watching the boats. He was responsible for taking my very heavy suitcase up four flights of stairs. Even though everyone says americans tip too much, i tipped this man well.

Transportation: at the airport, I went to the station where you hire boats, I fully intended to hire a private boat since I didnt have anyone to share it with, because I knew I could not pull that suitcase over bridges. To my delight, I asked if anyone was there to share a ride and it was! great price and enjoyed the 2 couples traveling with me.

Cons: This is only one con and it is specific to anyone that suffers from not having any "sense of direction". I suffer from this terribly. If I walk into a room with two doors and you spin me around, I would'nt know which door I entered. Anyway, Venice is full of small streets that wind for days. I knew in an instant upon leaving the hotel, even with their directions on paper (which were wrong on so many levels) that I was in trouble. I had to choose between trying to find anyone willing to allow me to tag alone, or venture out on my own and get lost. I ventured out and every single day or night while trying to return to the hotel, I was miserably lost. My last night a 70 year old gentleman who didnt speak any englist knew my hotel from the brochure and took me there personally at 9pm. Sweetness I cannot describe in this older man.

2nd Con: there is only one meal served at the hotel and for anyone wanting a late night snack, or dinner, you are out of luck. Still, on my next stay in venice, I would gladly stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Single room on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was the best I had on my entire trip! Lots of food choices and the coffee was good. If you're able to get the one small table on the balcony - GRAB IT! Right on the Grand Canal. Worth having breakfast with a jacket on even if it's cold. Not in the "tourist areas", but they are easy to get to. The hotel is walking distance to the Rialto Bridge and a few of the water bus stops, but the walking isn't easy with luggage. I would suggest a Water Taxi from the airport or train station. It will take you straight to the hotel dock. Expense ride, but worth it with luggage. Try to share a ride if possible?

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We arrived to the hotel by motoscafi and it was a fantastic experience as we arrived on the canal side of the hotel, so had the fantastic view of the canals. The hotel was excellent the staff very helpful and friendly, SIMONE on the reception, and Ernesto I must give a big thank you for being so friendly but all the staff are wonderful. The rooms are all lovely and clean and being on the canal gives it more character. The breakfast was great lots of choice. And it was only a 15 min walk to the Rialto bridge. A really lovely hotel well worth seeing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda N
Scotland
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just home after a 3 day stay and fantastic time at this little gem of a hotel. The situation is perfect and just minutes from Rialto bridge. We had a triple room which was a double room and single room together (room 109) breakfast was great choice and served on upper floor overlooking grand canal.........cannot get better. Room cleaned daily. Downstairs is a small bar and unbelievably cheap for what it is and where it is. Reception staff hugely helpful and friendly......big thanks to Giovanni for help with Hard Rock Cafe.....thanks also for making our dinner reservations. Will be looking to return here definitely :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed as a family of four in October 2013. We had a quad room, the beds were comfy and the room was a good size. It had a lovely bathroom which was under the stairs, so the bath was slightly sunken due to the stairs above. This made it quirky and the shower head was slightly lower than usual but my 6ft husband still managed to shower okay. The room was clean, with appropriate Venetian furniture which added to the charm of staying in such a wonderful city. The breakfast was very enjoyable with a range of different types of croissants and usual buffet breakfast items served in a beautiful room overlooking the Grand Canal.

We really enjoyed coming back to the hotel after a busy day exploring, but one of the highlights of our holiday was feeling in need of a coffee and sit down, we discovered we were near the hotel so we popped in and got a coffee which we drank on the landing stage overlooking the Grand Canal. We spent a very happy hour watching the world go by, enjoying our coffee. It got better as the receptionist discovered it was my birthday so gave us all complimentary drinks - we really appreciated it and it made my day all the more special.

We found a restaurant, Muro San Stae, where we had a very enjoyable, good value dinner which was within walking distance of the hotel.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay in this hotel again, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hadafabtime
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is a little tricky to locate from San stae. It is only a few minutes walk but difficult in he dark! The room was lovely and very spacious, perfectly adequate for three people. The breakfasts were great and the little terrace had splendid views over he Grand Canal. The hotel is ideally situated for walking to all the main attractions of Venice city. The only problem was that the room was rather warm and it is not possible to have air conditioning in November in Venice. We, rather stupidly, opened the windows and were very badly bitten by mosquitoes! Be warned, there are still lots about in Venice in November. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful. We will definitely return to this hotel and have no difficulty recommending it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Edith069
UK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in October 2013. Transfer from the airport was easy - we bought a return ticket on the Alilaguna and it took us straight into Venice. Here though, we made our first mistake - we got off at Rialto. After a few days of wandering around Venice, this would have been absolutely fine and we would have got to the hotel easy, but, we had no idea and ended up following the directions on our iPhones!! Somehow we eventually got there! Definitely get off the Alilaguna at San Stae, its very easy to find the hotel from there, just over 3 small bridges and takes minutes. When you get off the boat head to the left and there is a bin with clear directions to the hotel on it. Also, on the way there are a couple hotel signs to help you.

Checking in at the hotel was quick and simple, we were shown straight to our room and helped with our bags. Our room was great, clean and a good size with a small balcony. Also had a nice sized en suite with a shower over the bath. Had Sky TV which had English music channels that we put on in the mornings when getting ready to go out. There also were also other international channels available if you want that kind of thing when you're away.

Some have commented that the baths are small, but I didnt find that to be the case at all and I'm 5'9. Quite a powerful shower too which is rare for hotels! Room was fairly quiet at night too, although there was a little noise from the canal it wasnt enough to keep me awake. It was to be expected though - the hotel is right on the Grand Canal!

Breakfast was really good, and staff really friendly (unlike some of the other guests we encountered at breakfast!!). Good selection of cereals, bread, cheese, meat, yogurts, croissants and probably some other stuff I can't remember. All replenished frequently.

Some reviewers are complaining about all the staircases in the hotel. There are 3 sets of stairs, and yes, the third set are fairly steep, but there are only 19 steps. Unless you are spending a lot of time in the hotel when you are in Venice and not exploring the city I'm guessing you won't be going up and down them a lot? To those commenting on the lack of lifts: this is a 14th Century building - of course there are no lifts! Lifts would ruin the building! I understand that some aren't able to do the stairs, so would suggest they request a room on the ground or first floor.

I can't really say anything bad about this hotel. The chaps on reception were all really nice, friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean and well kept, the outside veranda was great to sit and have a drink. The location of the hotel is fantastic - 5mins walk to Rialto and 15 to San Marco. If you arent able to walk that though, the Vaporetto stop is minutes away too. Would definitely return! Many thanks!

Room Tip: If you aren't able to climb a lot of stairs, then request a ground floor room, or one on the fir...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends