“A return to a dream”

Hotel San Cassiano - Residenza d'Epoca Ca' Favaretto
Ranked #96 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Originally, there was some confusion about my booking which caused me considerable anxiety. After a telephone call to Simone who assured me that everything was under control and I was asked which room I preferred, I wondered how I could ever have doubted them.Everything was as near perfection as could be.
When we arrived, we were again greeted as if we were minor royalty- or at least very good friends- with apologies that acqua alta meant that for the first night we would have to have another room but would we like to inspect it.The room was, of course wonderful, and we were offered the option of staying put or moving to our chosen room the next day after it had had time to dry out. We opted for our original choice and our clothes were moved for us the next day and hung in the wardrobe.
My previous reviews report all the best things about this hotel from the welcome, to the unstinting help on offer, to the friendliness of the staff and the wonderful breakfast with one of the most beautiful views of the Grand Canal. What more can I say but a sincere thank you to Giovanni and Simone for being such good friends and such outstandingly good receptionists and ensuring that, once again we had a most enjoyable and memorable stay. We are still in love with La Serenissima and this hotel and if you stay here you will understand why.
Non vedo l'ora di rincontrarci. A presto.

Room Tip: Rooms with Canal views give the full Serenissima experience
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Getting to this hotel on foot is no easy feat, but it's well worth it once you do! We stayed here for 2 nights during our brief visit to Venice. Instead of using a private water taxi upon our arrival, which drops you right at the hotel dock, we opted for the public water bus (vaporetto). The closets stop is San Stea, which is only a 5 min walk to the hotel. The interesting part is navigating all of the little cobblestone streets and bridges to get to the hotel. It's not a straight shot and Google maps isn't very accurate. Once we figured out the most direct route we committed it to memory so we wouldn't get lost again :)

The hotel itself was fabulous! It's a historic building so it's rich with history and local flavor. Even though the hotel is older, they've made the necessary updates to make their guest comfortable. We stayed on the first floor, and our room was overlooking the Grand Canal. The room was much bigger than I expected and comfortably accommodated two people.

We really enjoyed the breakfast, which is located on the second level of the hotel. They had a nice selection of cereals, pastries, and hot dishes to select from. It was a bit cold during our visit so no one ate outside on the terrace, but we did go out and take in the gorgeous views.

Like other hotels in Italy, they ask you to return the key to them each time you depart the hotel. I had no complaints about this though as they actually use real keys (not key cards) and they are a bit bulky. But the old fashioned keys just added to the charm of this place!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here! I would definitely consider staying here on my next trip to Venice, which I hope is sooner rather than later!!!

Room Tip: The room on the first floor is very roomy. Since it overlooks the canal you can hear some of the wat...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MsWahine
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I had a very pleasant stay in a single-room on the top floor this past November. The room was small, but big enough for one. Its window looked out on the interior courtyard. It was quiet and restful. Got a view of the Grand Canal from the breakfast room and could hear the seagulls chirping. It is close to the San State stop and walking distance to the Rialto - so well placed. Loved that it was down a few small streets. For 50 Euros a night including an ample breakfast it was a great deal!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I journeyed to Italy in October to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. I joined the group of ladies late in the planning so I was unable to secure a room in their B&B. I found this little gem and was so glad I did. First, no other hotel or B&B would extend a single rate without adding the single supplement charge. I asked for the small room on the top floor with a single bed and was offered a great rate.

Room: the room was very small but quite confortable. My window opened onto a small canal just off the grand canal. I had 2 very large windows which offered a great breeze at night and during the day. My 2 days in Venice was a perfect stay at this hotel. Now climbing 4 flights of stairs to my room was difficult the first time, but afterwards, I enjoyed the challange. By the 3rd day, I made up any excuse to climb the stairs just for the exercise.

Food: traditional breakfast with excellent coffee to include american coffee. Great local pastries and meat also. I agree, if you arrive early enough you can sit on the terrace in one of the 2 tables and enjoy the view of the grand canal.

Staff: Everyone was very kind especially knowing that I was alone. The bartender remembered that I enjoyed a specific wine and brough a glass to me every night as I sat on the balconly watching the boats. He was responsible for taking my very heavy suitcase up four flights of stairs. Even though everyone says americans tip too much, i tipped this man well.

Transportation: at the airport, I went to the station where you hire boats, I fully intended to hire a private boat since I didnt have anyone to share it with, because I knew I could not pull that suitcase over bridges. To my delight, I asked if anyone was there to share a ride and it was! great price and enjoyed the 2 couples traveling with me.

Cons: This is only one con and it is specific to anyone that suffers from not having any "sense of direction". I suffer from this terribly. If I walk into a room with two doors and you spin me around, I would'nt know which door I entered. Anyway, Venice is full of small streets that wind for days. I knew in an instant upon leaving the hotel, even with their directions on paper (which were wrong on so many levels) that I was in trouble. I had to choose between trying to find anyone willing to allow me to tag alone, or venture out on my own and get lost. I ventured out and every single day or night while trying to return to the hotel, I was miserably lost. My last night a 70 year old gentleman who didnt speak any englist knew my hotel from the brochure and took me there personally at 9pm. Sweetness I cannot describe in this older man.

2nd Con: there is only one meal served at the hotel and for anyone wanting a late night snack, or dinner, you are out of luck. Still, on my next stay in venice, I would gladly stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Single room on the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was the best I had on my entire trip! Lots of food choices and the coffee was good. If you're able to get the one small table on the balcony - GRAB IT! Right on the Grand Canal. Worth having breakfast with a jacket on even if it's cold. Not in the "tourist areas", but they are easy to get to. The hotel is walking distance to the Rialto Bridge and a few of the water bus stops, but the walking isn't easy with luggage. I would suggest a Water Taxi from the airport or train station. It will take you straight to the hotel dock. Expense ride, but worth it with luggage. Try to share a ride if possible?

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We arrived to the hotel by motoscafi and it was a fantastic experience as we arrived on the canal side of the hotel, so had the fantastic view of the canals. The hotel was excellent the staff very helpful and friendly, SIMONE on the reception, and Ernesto I must give a big thank you for being so friendly but all the staff are wonderful. The rooms are all lovely and clean and being on the canal gives it more character. The breakfast was great lots of choice. And it was only a 15 min walk to the Rialto bridge. A really lovely hotel well worth seeing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda N
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just home after a 3 day stay and fantastic time at this little gem of a hotel. The situation is perfect and just minutes from Rialto bridge. We had a triple room which was a double room and single room together (room 109) breakfast was great choice and served on upper floor overlooking grand canal.........cannot get better. Room cleaned daily. Downstairs is a small bar and unbelievably cheap for what it is and where it is. Reception staff hugely helpful and friendly......big thanks to Giovanni for help with Hard Rock Cafe.....thanks also for making our dinner reservations. Will be looking to return here definitely :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends