“Excellent location.”
Review of Hotel Gardena

Hotel Gardena
Ranked #163 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have just stayed at this hotel for three nights. Having stayed in other hotels in Europe in this price range I have to say that this hotel is of a higher standard than most. The location is perfect for all public transport, including the waterbus. The were very friendly and the hotel,was spotless. Overall we would use agaijn the next time we are in Venice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andy_harrison1

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Modern but with classy venetian touch.

Great location very close to all public transports. Very friendly and helpful staff. Everything kept nicely clean. Front desk staff had lots of hints and tips for venice "explorers" Will definetely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank CfH76
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great Location to everything! Had a wonderful view of the canal. Room was clean and spacious, a little worn around the edges but felt the value for Venice was great. Had a nice breakfast in the morning room. My luggage was lost for a day and a half, and the front desk staff went beyond helpful to do everything they could to help. We would stay here again, after this last two night stay. The review that called this close to rock bottom is wrong. We have travelled Europe many times, and there are other hotels, but then if you want to pay $300 to $500 a night for lovely hotels in Venice, no problem. We were there pre cruise and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Room with a view.....
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My advice to you is: don't stay here. If it's too late, and you've paid up-front, lower your expectations to rock bottom, and you won't be disappointed. OK, I'm used to nice places, I've stayed in some truly lovely hotels (not all of them expensive) but I cannot understand anyone giving this hotel more than one star - what standards are reviewers using on TA?

It's in a useful location as far as public transport goes. But so are 100 other hotels nearby. Choose one of them instead.

The hall isn't 'fancy' or 'grand', it's faux-ornate and sometimes you'll hear a little Vivaldi playing, but more often than not, it's a crackly pop-radio station.

We were allocated Room 32. As you will see from other TA reviews, this is a room that others have complained about. These were the main issues:

Filthy carpets, and I'm talking spills, stains, blobs, scuffmarks. You would not walk on it in bare feet. Dirty hand- and fingerprints all over the doors, doorframes, walls. I wished I'd taken anti-bacterial wipes. Peeling paint. A previous occupant's stains on the counterpane on the bed. Clean sheets, but a dirty blanket. Squashed mosquitos and bloody smears on the walls. A ridiculously overheated room necessitating the opening of windows and the consequent ingress of further mosquitos.

Room 32 has a hand-held shower-adaptor attached to bath taps with clammy shower curtains to be drawn around the bath.

And the worst thing - on our third day, I had to pick a small dead COCKROACH out of the fibres of my leggings, which I'd put on a shelf in the wardrobe.

I asked to be moved from this small, hot and dirty room immediately, but this was, according to the receptionist, 'the best available'. In which case, my sympathies go to the occupants of the other rooms.

I should mention breakfast, as it was included, and of the same standard as the room. It consisted of a poor buffet, served by an overworked but cheerful single waitress/beverage maker/dish washer, Dianna, who was the hotel's saving grace. On her day off, she was replaced by a cross waitress who warned fellow guests arriving to breakfast at 9.45am that they had better hurry up as the dining room was locked at 10am.

Had I not been anxious about spoiling a wonderful romantic anniversary trip for my husband, I would have checked out immediately. In retrospect, I wish we had.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stormfever
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I specifically chose this hotel as it is literally 5 minutes walk from the bus station, 'People Mover' and train station. We were staying here after a cruise and all we had to do was get the 'People Mover' from the cruise terminal (cost just 1 Euro each and just a 5 minute ride) to Piazzale Roma, where we were able to walk to the Hotel Gardena. Admittedly you do have to carry suitcases over 2 bridges but I'd rather have the money for a meal.
The hotel is on a small canal and in a quiet location despite being minutes from the many attractions in Venice. Our room had a view of a quaint courtyard and was adequate for our needs. Comfortable bed, tv, fridge (which was stocked with bottled water) and a somewhat outdated but clean bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was offered in a pleasant dining room.
The hotel was very accommodating in looking after our luggage so that we could spend our final day seeing as much of Venice before catching our late night flight home.
This is a budget hotel and yet its proximity to vital transport links was a godsend to us. We were originally booked into an area known as Mestre, which is a very long way from Venice island; a cab/bus journey in fact. A lot of advertisements for cheap weekends to Venice don't explain clearly that you will be staying in Mestre and had we not changed our booking we would not have seen as much of Venice as we eventually did.
I would stay at this hotel again so that we can spend money on lovely, romantic dinners by the Grand Canal and have a leisurely walk home.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fcroton
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, after the first night we were upgraded to a canal view room which was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here, breakfast was in a lovely little dining room and we found the website photos were very accurate.

The gentleman who greeted us was very friendly and he was most helpful during our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms over the three days we were there, and perhaps the rooms on the can...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Diana V
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is located close to the station, you have to cross just the one bridge and walk for about 5-10 mins to get there. The lobby was fancy with marble throughout and the concierge was very friendly. Since the lobby was so grand we were expecting our room to be the same, but was sorely disappointed. The room was tiny, the bed, the cupboard and TV stand took up most of the room, and our luggages made the moving space even smaller, so we couldn't really move around freely in the room. My partner who is Italian was chatting to house keeping in the morning and was told that we had one of the smallest rooms in the hotel and next time if we book ask not to be in the corner rooms. There is a coin operated launderette just a couple of blocks around the corner from here, which was great as we needed to get a fair bit of washing done. All in all it was a good hotel in a good location with some friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple