“Unexpected Accomodation”
Review of Hotel Gardena

Hotel Gardena
Ranked #168 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This review of Gardena Hotel may not be a completely accurate for 90% of the rooms of which the hotel offers. Let me explain. I booked a four night stay for myself and my wife many months prior to our mid July trip and booked the cheapest room option available on a travel website. I expected to get one of the standard rooms which I had viewed in the pictures on tripadvisor but wasn't expecting much more due to my choosing the lowest price option. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a friendly gentleman at the front desk who took down our information and checked us in. He then informed us that our room was ready (we were a bit early for check in). The employee then walked us down the hallway of the main level, walking through what appeared to be the breakfast area, and while walking explained that we would be staying in the "Garden Villa" which is "very romantic". We were then lead outside and walked a short distance through the outdoors eating area to the back of the property where there was a small building which honesty looked like a nice shed where they may keep their patio furniture during the winter time. I really don't know what I was thinking at this point. Then the employee told us that we have our own private air conditioning unit and wi-fi. When we walked in to what probably once was a storage area, my wife and I were shocked to find what appeared to be a newly renovated space with a good sized bed, television, mini refrigerator, armoire, and even laminate wood flooring. There was a good sized bathroom with tiled stand up shower, bidet and single vanity with hair dryer. The ceilings even had exposed wood beams. The air conditioning was as cold as you could ever possibly want yet adjustable, and the wifi worked great. We were stunned at what we figured was luck. The room was extremely quiet with no one above, below or next door to us. The only negatives of the room were that the ceilings were sloped, and if you are taller that 5'10", you may hit your head in the shower on a beam a few times as I did. Also, if there are early risers eating breakfast in the garden in the morning you may be woken up. Both my wife and I absolutely loved the space regardless.

As for the accommodations, we found the front desk staff friendly and helpful. The common areas were comfortable and clean. The breakfast in the morning was simple, offering bread, cold cut ham and turkey, salami, different flavor yogurts, cereal, fruit, orange juice and pastries. A simple breakfast that kept us going until a late lunch. The lady who worked the breakfast area in the morning was extremely friendly and helpful every morning, and would prepare fresh coffee as you wished.

As far as the location goes, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. The hotel was an approximately 7-10 minute walk from Piazza Le Rome where the airport buses and land taxis drop off. It was also about the same distance from the train station. These are HUGE selling points in my opinion because if you have never been to Venice before, you WILL get lost trying to find a hotel in the middle of the city. There are SO many small streets and alleys that it's bound to happen. And if you are arriving after dark it will be 10X worse because most places close up and it will be dark. We saw so many tourists mid day near San Marco or in Cannaregio or near the Rialto bridge who were carrying luggage, completely lost, sweating and miserable with map in hand trying to find their hotels. If only they had stayed at Gardena they would be checked in and out exploring already. We didn't have any trouble finding the hotel at all. It was great being away from the HUGE crowds that Venice draws this time of year and Gardena was located along a small canal with a few bars/restaurants nearby.
Even though we will probably never be back to Venice, we loved our stay at Hotel Garden and would highly recommend it, especially if you somehow land the "Garden Villa".

An extra tip for beer drinkers. Pretty much everywhere will charge you approximately $3.50 PER BOTTLE for Peroni beer. You can find a grocery store on the way to Rialto selling Peroni at three bottles for $2.50. Take advantage of this and stock your hotel mini fridge. Also, the water that you see flowing from the fountains all throughout the city is DRINKABLE COLD WATER. Buy a bottle water somewhere cheap and refill at these stations. It is cold, safe and delicious.

***BONUS TIP... DO NOT EAT OFF OF THE "TOURIST MENUS" AT RESTAURANTS IN VENICE. THEY ARE OVER PRICED, LOW QUALITY, SMALL PORTIONS AND GENERALLY BAD TASTING FOOD. IF THERE IS SOMEONE OUT FRONT TRYING TO GET YOUR BUSINESS, AVOID THEM. YOU WILL NOT FIND LOCALS EATING AT THESE PLACES FOR GOOD REASON.

DO HOWEVER EAT PIZZA AND GELATO PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE. IT HONESTLY ALL TASTES THE SAME.

Another dining tip, especially for Americans. If food is put on your table and you don't refuse it, you are going to pay for it. There is no such thing as complimentary bread and butter or free water. Bread will be brought to your table and if you eat it, you will be charged for it. And most restaurants charge "coperto" which is basically a service fee. Usually 10%.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Brian S

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Venice is old, its buildings crowded against one another, the are no sugardaddies looking to renovate small boutique hotels.

So, the Gardena Hotel is typical of Venice- cozy rooms that are well appointed, in room wifi and a better than average breakfast. The manager was in contact with me 2 days prior to staying to advise he would try and get roooms ready for our group early, no guarantees but he would make the effort. That kind of proactive communication and anticipating customer needs was impressive..and appreciated.

The hotel is a convenient 5-7 minute walk from train station, which is always a priority for me. Since it is over the bridge, it is away from the madness of the main drag by the train station. Within 5 minutes from the hotel were a bunch of restaurants that were clearly for the loclas...and I guess now us!!

The room rtate was over $225 which compared to other hotels I staye at during my jaunt through Europe was expensive. BUT, its NOT a fair comparison, as Venice is its own animal. So, compared to other hotels in Venice, I ws very pleased with this property and would definitely book again. That simple

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank beaubo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Everything Venice about this hotel. Expensive and small room, but close to station so good for access when carrying luggage around. Breakfast was good, receptionist a little unapproachable but got the job done. Room was quiet, and close enough to good restaurants and the 'neighbourhood' side of Venice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were coming in late from the train station and I wanted an easy place to find and sleep on our 2 night stay in Venice. We landed at the Gardena Hotel. When you get off the train station it's basically across the canal, or about a 10 minute walk. The only bad part is you have to carry your luggage over the bridge which has many steps! Once we dragged our luggage over, it was super easy to find (cross the big bridge, take a right and walk to the little canal on your left). We had a room on the 1st floor (I think the only one) which was a little odd, but quiet. I thought the hotel was a little overpriced for what we got, but I'm pretty sure that's Venice overall.

Staff were ok, didn't go out of their way to orient you to Venice or really pay attention to you. Our bathroom and bedroom were clean and had everything we needed. The room is covered in gold, but we slept comfortably, our air and wifi worked well, and I was happy. What I did like about the location was that it was kind of out of the thick of things, and near the first vaparetto stop, so that made it easy to get a seat on the "bus", travel other places, and enjoy a little more quiet than the rialto or st marks area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Oosch
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly the water pressure is miserable, secondly the aircond is not working, thirdly the room is so worn out...eg. bathroom door like about to fall off, carpet so worn out, bed so hard and can feel the spring, lastly most of the TV channel do not have good reception....so why pay for such bad accommodation in your trip and spoil your mood.....dun bother to come back.....at least to this hotel.....

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Mech C
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a convenient location to the train station. Our room overlooked a canal and we also had views of the Grand Canal. It was opposite a beautiful public garden. Location was good and everything was within walking distance. Definitely good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Gardena Hotel is very convenient to the railway and to the airport bus station, (one bridge in either direction) which is a consideration if you are arriving at night or are only staying a few days. Venice is small but you will get lost trying to navigate to more distant parts of the city with luggage in tow at night.

The hotel itself is three stories high with a lift and the front 3 or 4 rooms on each floor overlook a quiet canal and can see up to the Grand Canal to the right. There is a garden where smokers like to have breakfast. Staff are nice and helpful and breakfast is good but you need to ask for an espresso unless you want pointless American drip coffee. The room was renovated baroque and had separate toilet and shower rooms which were beautifully clean. However the ventilation was poor in both and so smelt musty.

We stayed 4 nights in mid-May and could find excellent food within ten minutes walk. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to San Marco where you can buy a coffee for 11 euros... It is a few minutes from the vaporetto station if you don't feel like walking and the boats go everywhere- Lido, Murano, airport, Grand Canal.

We will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view. Some rooms overlook the garden which is nice too.