“Just okay 5 star”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Just okay 5 star”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

As many of the other review state, the receptionists desk and concierge were not helpful. We travel a lot and expect a five star to offer caring service. Not so at this hotel. The rooms were nice and clean, but there was construction going on from 8am to 7:00 pm. The first impression at the front desk, no smile from the woman and a few grunts as answers to our questions. We asked the concierge for restaurant recommend and he gave us one place. Didn't offer us much help. I would call down to the front desk and nobody would answer. The breakfast restaurant staff was the friendliest. I wouldn't book this hotel again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lskirgirl
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our goal and by your comments we feel we might have failed in certain areas. We really apologize that we did not meet your expectations and we have addressed your issues with all our staff.
We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore you faith in The Westin Europa & Regina by ensuring you receive a true Westin experience.
With best regards

Executive office
the westin europa & regina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed on a short break booked via British Airways. Good price for 4 nights flights and accommodation.

Reception - overall fairly disappointed with the reception team. Only two people really stood out from all the others I spoke to. First lady who helped me move rooms and the lady who helped us to check out. Both had a lovely manner and really went out their way to assist with my questions/queries. The rest of the reception team didn't seem to want to assist. Often found only one receptionist on duty. At times this lead to queues and obvious frustrated guests.

Bedroom - First bedroom was lovely. Much larger than expected. All the 5 star amenities you would expect. Slippers, robes (although not as soft as they could be) were a welcome addition on this relaxing break. Bottle of bubbly on arrival. Everything to hand. Overpriced mini bar however that was to be expected. Super King bed that was very comfortable. No tea and coffee making facilities but I guess that was due to Italian Law. My first room overlooked the small courtyard at the front of the hotel. Nothing special but I didn't pay the special prices. It became apparent on arrival that the hotel were doing some light building work on the outside of the hotel. The noise that the builders made starting at 8am impacted a needed long lie. The receptionist was very kind and understood our problem and offered to move us to another part of the hotel. She asked for us to pack up and leave our bags in the room and she would organise Concierge to do the rest. Second room - smaller room however fantastic view of the Grand Canal. All the same amenities just different decor. This bedroom had a connecting door to the room next door. Little sound proofing and at times the overactive child who insisted on making noise near on 11pm became irritating. Maybe look at better sound proofing in adjoining rooms?

Concierge - I found very helpful but a small warning. I asked about trips to the visit Murano. I wanted to see some glass making. The Concierge kindly offered to call ahead and get a free water taxi over to the island. I questioned why it was free and he said that it was a promotion. "It is is free because the glass maker is hoping for a sale" he said. So as promised the water taxi arrived no more than 5 minutes later and took us direct to the island. We were met by one of the staff of the Schiavon store who welcomed our arrival and guided us straight in to the store. We immediately progressed straight through to the glass making area. He spoke confidently about the craft and talked us through what was happening. It then became very apparent that we were not going to see much else other than the store above. The assistant had a lovely manner and obviously had practiced his sales technique. A long story short we ended up buying a lovely piece that we are so pleased to own. Almost a shame that it was done in this way however. I feel the man at Concierge or indeed the whole team were incentivised to send us there. It was all so slick!

Breakfast - breakfast was included in my rate. 1st and last breakfast was superb. Attentive service and so relaxing. Fantastic choice of hot and cold food. You are even welcome to help yourself to a bucks fizz if you wish. Middle two days were a little disorganised. It wasn't necessarily because it was busier or later on in the meal period. The whole service seemed to lack structure and organisation. Be warned of the pigeons if you are sitting outside. To be expected I guess but little to deter the birds away from your breakfast. Word of advice. Never leave your table unattended. No risk of theft from humans so don't worry however the little birds will happily pick at your breakfast in your absence.

Bar - lovely part of the hotel. Fantastic little jetty that you can sit for hours watching the world go by. Quick table service, little selection of nibbles offered with your drinks. Very nice.

Other points to note. The hotel was experiencing big problems with their internet this week. Often struggled to get a connection. Normally a 1 hour session is offered free of charge once per day if you sit around the lobby area. Otherwise a charge is applicable. 12 Euros for a 24hr period if I remember correctly.

To summarise my trip. I loved my first trip to Venice. Westin Europa & Regina assisted me with that. However I would have expected an increased level of service from the staff. Little warmth and care by the majority. Very few smiles, virtually no one said 'buongiorno' or 'ciao' when walking past people in the corridors.

I would probably choose another hotel if I was to visit Venice again. The current ranking of 116 of 381 hotels in Venice says it all really. Room for improvement.

Room Tip: Worth booking a premium deluxe room to get added space or a better view of the Grand Canal
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very descriptive review as we do value feedback from our guests, even if negative, as this ensures we grow and evolve our business.
In the hope you will give us the chance to demonstrate we do care and have actioned your considerations, we look forward to welcoming you back to Venice in the near future.

Southend-on-sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I together with 24 friends, visited Venice a few weeks ago to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and renew our weddings vows. We had employed the services of a wedding planner to make the necessary arrangements (Gemma of Italy2wed.com) and she had brought to our attention the facilities available at the Westin Hotel Europa & Regina, Venice.

Below is a copy of the email I wrote recently to Raffaele Ruffolo at the Hotel with whom I had exchanged emails detailing our requirements regarding the celebratory luncheon to be enjoyed at the Hotel following the renewal of vows ceremony which took place in the Hotel's dedicated function room. Please regard this as my review of our experience at the hotel:

Dear Raffaele,

My wife and I and our guests have now returned home following a memorable weekend in Venice.

I feel I must write to thank and congratulate you and your team on providing such a beautiful venue for our renewal of vows ceremony followed by cocktails and a wonderful celebratory lunch.

The food was delicious and cooked to perfection and the service was first class. Thank you so much for providing a memorable meal in fabulous surroundings overlooking the Grand Canal.

The attention to detail shown was exceptional, from the table centre flower arrangements (even on vacant tables!) to the personalised menus provided for us and each of our 24 guests.

I can recommend The Westin Europa & Regina Hotel to anyone wishing to celebrate a special event in a prestigious location in Venice.

My wife and I shall most definitely return to Venice and we shall be sure to dine with you again when we do so.

Many thanks once again for making our time in Venice so special and memorable.

Kind regards,

Christopher Robinson

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CJR244
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Westin Europa & Regina. Your review makes everything we do here worthwhile and I will ensure to pass on your comments to the team, especially to Raffaele. It is always a pleasure to be part of a special celebration such as your 40th wedding Anniversary was! We are pleased the service has made you both and your guests feel special and even more so that you would recommend us in the future.
I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to The Westin Europa & Regina in the near future.
With warmest regards

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I booked a small tour the Europe, one stop was through Venice to experience the romance it creates. We booked The westin europa based on reviews and location. Upon arriving the guest service agent couldn't find our reservation. After her arguing with me I finally spoke to a manager and our reservation was found. The room they checked us into was nice, nothing like the picture of our room catergory but none the less nice, Until 7:00am the construction started directly beneathe us! After traveling in a car through italy for 9 hours the last thing we wanted was to be woken up at 7am by jack hammers. I called the front desk the switched our rooms to the category that i actually paid for. When I tried to go to the front desk the elevator didnt work due to flooding. So we had to wait a few hours to for the room change. There was no kind of service recovery for this no kind of compensation. It's sad because I love starwood properties but I felt like my business wasn't valued being an spg memember.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anthonyvega
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your visit. On behalf of our Front office team, please accept our sincere apologies.
Please rest assured your comments have been shared with the management team.
Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Europa & Regina in order to revise your feelings on our property and service.
With our best regards

Douglas, Isle Of Man
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have just spent 5 nights and have ahead a fab time. We went to the hotel with a british Airways holiday and it couldn't have been better. The rooms, staff, location, food I fact everything about the hotel could not be criticised in any way. Would certainly go back and would recommend it to anyone thinking if a visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LynneIOM
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting this lovely review and for your reccomendation. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your recent experience with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With warmest regards

Cranford, nj
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Just spent a couple of nights in Venice with family. The Westin was beautiful, service was just ok and prices were too high. I booked a joining room for my family and they could not accommodate us at check in. Based upon the prices, it was ridiculous that my husband and I needed to split up. If I went back to Venice, I would stay somewhere else.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank ShoeGirl87
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked a free night using Aeroplan (~50K points, or value of $500~$1000)
I'm Starwood Gold, so they "upgraded" me to the "biggest small room in my category with a view" of the Salute (room 153). They said they're almost sold out, on a April Thursday night(??)

Good
- Location: pretty close to Line 1 San Marco stop or Line 2 San Marco stop (you have to cross a bridge at San Moise though), very close to San Marco square
- View, if you got any, is great to see Salute at different times of the day
- 2 free water bottles per day
- We got a welcome chocolate cake for anniversary
- Free wi-fi for SPG Gold (vs. $12 Euro per day), whew~
- I got 3 pm late check-out as SPG Gold, thank you

Bad
- No water water, until our neighbour room (152) called to complain and got it fixed, then our hot water also came, after a long wait
- Room is as tiny as New York city room. There's a King (or Queen?) bed, and about 1 person's width between the bed and the wall. I'm glad I didn't pay $400+/night for this room, nor staying more than 1 night here
- Compared to all my other 6 hotel stays this trip, this is the smallest and least memorable room (I had hoped for a balcony or anything better, but I got a window that opened less than a hand's width)

Overall, I appreciate the view of Salute, but as SPG Gold, it left me with a bit sour taste and not wanting to come back to a Venice hotel. Next time I'll try AirBnB

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JerryHung