The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice
Ranked #92 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We recently stayed here with our 13 yr old son. He loved the "loaner running shoes" and the workout room. The staff could not have been nicer and the views at this hotel were stunningly over the top. The food, service, rooms, etc everything was superb at this hotel. The concierge was so helpful and made reservations for us, arranged water taxis, etc. We also did the Murano Isle tour and we agree that it is a ploy to get you to buy something so be ready to say "no" if you want. However, they rely on tourism $$ so it is understandable. We would love to stay at this luxurious hotel again if we return to Venice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your fantastic review of The Westin Europa & Regina.
We are glad that we have lived up to your expectations during your stay and we are really happy that your son enjoyed our Westin Workout room.
We will ensure to pass on your comments to the rest of our team and our concierge in particular.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Venice very soon.

the westin europa & regina

Write a ReviewReviews (2,546)

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Italy for 14 days with 2 days in Venice. We used our Starwood points for our stay and mentioned it was our honeymoon. I thought we'd at least get a decent room or a note from management saying congrats, but all we got was not so friendly staff and a room in the back of the hotel overlooking a roof. It was a small room, clean and recently renovated but not memorable for the 45,000 points we used on our stay. We had a great time wondering around Venice but just didn't feel special or welcome at the hotel. The Westin in Rome however went above and beyond for us!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beach567
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We sincerely regret to learn that your honeymoon with us did not meet your expectations. Usually for such special occasion we personalize our service and amenities.
Your comments will assists us in implementing corrective measures to improve the quality of our services and our guests'experience.
We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore you faith in The Westin Europa & Regina by ensuring you receive a true Westin experience.

Executive office
The westin europa & regina

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed for four nights at the Westin Hotel Europa & Regina in Venice and had a wonderful time. Our room was very good and comfortable and had a nice classical design without being too old-fashioned. The hotel's location is just amazing: It is situated right on the Grand Canal, just a very short walk from St Mark's Square which makes it the ideal base to explore Venice. In fact, most of Venice's famous sights and museums are within walking distance from the hotel.
Unfortunately their ridiculous price policy for extras gets in the way of an all in all positive experience. For example, breakfast costs 35 Euros, a small bottle of beer 13 Euros and they even charge 6 Euros for an hour of slow Wi-Fi. All this just leaves the bad feeling of getting ripped off. Also the service was not as good as expected. The concierge and reception staff could not really help with directions for water buses, opening times of museums, tour bookings or restaurant suggestions. This is a real shame as this hotel could be so much better. For example, its bar has a beautiful terrace right on the Grand Canal with spectacular views of Santa Maria della Salute. But we only went there once as it was terribly overpriced.
Overall, I think the Westin Hotel Europa & Regina is a great place to stay in Venice if you are just looking for a good place to sleep in a convenient location and are willing to work around the disappointing service and the overpriced extras which is easily possibly as there are loads of restaurants and bars in the proximity of the hotel that offer food and drinks at much more reasonable prices.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It certainly pleases us to learn you enjoyed your time with us at The Westin Europa & Regina and our location - very close to St. Mark's Square on the Grand Canal.
On the other hand, it thus concerns us deeply to read of the perceived unfriendly approach of our Concierge and reception staff. We do pride ourselves on the high standard of training that all of our staff receive and are thus naturally concerned to learn of your dissatisfaction with the service approach received from some members of our team. Your valuable comments will assist us in correcting these issues so that others experience personal and welcoming 5 star service.
Though we appreciate you may have found our Bar Tiepolo prices expensive, the views are great and certainly a rewarding complement to a relaxing drink, especially when enjoyed on Bar Tiepolo’s Grand Canal terrace, one of the few in Venice. The Grand Canal views from our La Cusina Restaurant are indeed beautiful and when combined with the quality of our breakfast selection, we believe worth the extra expense.
In addition prices are overall in line with other established five star properties in Venice.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Venice soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Like all the buildings in Venice the hotel is old. But not the bad kind of old, it has a lovely classical feel to it would have given it a 5 star review except that I found it lacking in terms of service.

The hotel does not have many staff and unlike other five star hotels there isn't that feeling you get that you are being taken care of. That would have been fine if it wasn't so expensive. My room had the complimentary breakfast and so I would go to the restaurant every morning. The breakfast is a buffet but the tea, coffee and omelets have to be ordered. It would take 15 minutes from the time I sit until I am attended and I have to actually call them over.

The hotel is great in many ways but the only problem with it was the service. I do recommend it if you are not bothered by that.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank L_Wolfius
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
We apologize for the lack of service you experienced. This is certainly not the usual The Westin Europa & Regina standard as we focus highly on great service as our main aim is to consistently offer to our guests an outstanding and a memorable stay at our property .
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to rectify this experience and perhaps change your perspective about our property and our team.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

As many of the other review state, the receptionists desk and concierge were not helpful. We travel a lot and expect a five star to offer caring service. Not so at this hotel. The rooms were nice and clean, but there was construction going on from 8am to 7:00 pm. The first impression at the front desk, no smile from the woman and a few grunts as answers to our questions. We asked the concierge for restaurant recommend and he gave us one place. Didn't offer us much help. I would call down to the front desk and nobody would answer. The breakfast restaurant staff was the friendliest. I wouldn't book this hotel again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lskirgirl

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our goal and by your comments we feel we might have failed in certain areas. We really apologize that we did not meet your expectations and we have addressed your issues with all our staff.

Executive office

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed on a short break booked via British Airways. Good price for 4 nights flights and accommodation.

Reception - overall fairly disappointed with the reception team. Only two people really stood out from all the others I spoke to. First lady who helped me move rooms and the lady who helped us to check out. Both had a lovely manner and really went out their way to assist with my questions/queries. The rest of the reception team didn't seem to want to assist. Often found only one receptionist on duty. At times this lead to queues and obvious frustrated guests.

Bedroom - First bedroom was lovely. Much larger than expected. All the 5 star amenities you would expect. Slippers, robes (although not as soft as they could be) were a welcome addition on this relaxing break. Bottle of bubbly on arrival. Everything to hand. Overpriced mini bar however that was to be expected. Super King bed that was very comfortable. No tea and coffee making facilities but I guess that was due to Italian Law. My first room overlooked the small courtyard at the front of the hotel. Nothing special but I didn't pay the special prices. It became apparent on arrival that the hotel were doing some light building work on the outside of the hotel. The noise that the builders made starting at 8am impacted a needed long lie. The receptionist was very kind and understood our problem and offered to move us to another part of the hotel. She asked for us to pack up and leave our bags in the room and she would organise Concierge to do the rest. Second room - smaller room however fantastic view of the Grand Canal. All the same amenities just different decor. This bedroom had a connecting door to the room next door. Little sound proofing and at times the overactive child who insisted on making noise near on 11pm became irritating. Maybe look at better sound proofing in adjoining rooms?

Concierge - I found very helpful but a small warning. I asked about trips to the visit Murano. I wanted to see some glass making. The Concierge kindly offered to call ahead and get a free water taxi over to the island. I questioned why it was free and he said that it was a promotion. "It is is free because the glass maker is hoping for a sale" he said. So as promised the water taxi arrived no more than 5 minutes later and took us direct to the island. We were met by one of the staff of the Schiavon store who welcomed our arrival and guided us straight in to the store. We immediately progressed straight through to the glass making area. He spoke confidently about the craft and talked us through what was happening. It then became very apparent that we were not going to see much else other than the store above. The assistant had a lovely manner and obviously had practiced his sales technique. A long story short we ended up buying a lovely piece that we are so pleased to own. Almost a shame that it was done in this way however. I feel the man at Concierge or indeed the whole team were incentivised to send us there. It was all so slick!

Breakfast - breakfast was included in my rate. 1st and last breakfast was superb. Attentive service and so relaxing. Fantastic choice of hot and cold food. You are even welcome to help yourself to a bucks fizz if you wish. Middle two days were a little disorganised. It wasn't necessarily because it was busier or later on in the meal period. The whole service seemed to lack structure and organisation. Be warned of the pigeons if you are sitting outside. To be expected I guess but little to deter the birds away from your breakfast. Word of advice. Never leave your table unattended. No risk of theft from humans so don't worry however the little birds will happily pick at your breakfast in your absence.

Bar - lovely part of the hotel. Fantastic little jetty that you can sit for hours watching the world go by. Quick table service, little selection of nibbles offered with your drinks. Very nice.

Other points to note. The hotel was experiencing big problems with their internet this week. Often struggled to get a connection. Normally a 1 hour session is offered free of charge once per day if you sit around the lobby area. Otherwise a charge is applicable. 12 Euros for a 24hr period if I remember correctly.

To summarise my trip. I loved my first trip to Venice. Westin Europa & Regina assisted me with that. However I would have expected an increased level of service from the staff. Little warmth and care by the majority. Very few smiles, virtually no one said 'buongiorno' or 'ciao' when walking past people in the corridors.

I would probably choose another hotel if I was to visit Venice again. The current ranking of 116 of 381 hotels in Venice says it all really. Room for improvement.

Room Tip: Worth booking a premium deluxe room to get added space or a better view of the Grand Canal
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very descriptive review as we do value feedback from our guests, even if negative, as this ensures we grow and evolve our business.
In the hope you will give us the chance to demonstrate we do care and have actioned your considerations, we look forward to welcoming you back to Venice in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I together with 24 friends, visited Venice a few weeks ago to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and renew our weddings vows. We had employed the services of a wedding planner to make the necessary arrangements (Gemma of Italy2wed.com) and she had brought to our attention the facilities available at the Westin Hotel Europa & Regina, Venice.

Below is a copy of the email I wrote recently to Raffaele Ruffolo at the Hotel with whom I had exchanged emails detailing our requirements regarding the celebratory luncheon to be enjoyed at the Hotel following the renewal of vows ceremony which took place in the Hotel's dedicated function room. Please regard this as my review of our experience at the hotel:

Dear Raffaele,

My wife and I and our guests have now returned home following a memorable weekend in Venice.

I feel I must write to thank and congratulate you and your team on providing such a beautiful venue for our renewal of vows ceremony followed by cocktails and a wonderful celebratory lunch.

The food was delicious and cooked to perfection and the service was first class. Thank you so much for providing a memorable meal in fabulous surroundings overlooking the Grand Canal.

The attention to detail shown was exceptional, from the table centre flower arrangements (even on vacant tables!) to the personalised menus provided for us and each of our 24 guests.

I can recommend The Westin Europa & Regina Hotel to anyone wishing to celebrate a special event in a prestigious location in Venice.

My wife and I shall most definitely return to Venice and we shall be sure to dine with you again when we do so.

Many thanks once again for making our time in Venice so special and memorable.

Kind regards,

Christopher Robinson

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CJR244
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Westin Europa & Regina. Your review makes everything we do here worthwhile and I will ensure to pass on your comments to the team, especially to Raffaele. It is always a pleasure to be part of a special celebration such as your 40th wedding Anniversary was! We are pleased the service has made you both and your guests feel special and even more so that you would recommend us in the future.
I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to The Westin Europa & Regina in the near future.
With warmest regards