“Not quite five stars, but still very good”

The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice
Ranked #92 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As some reviewers have noted, the staff here is not as welcoming as it should be. Much depends on who you get at breakfast or the concierge desk. When they're smiling and enthusiastic and happy to help, they're fine. But when they seem indifferent, it's a problem, considering the high prices. That said, it was a pleasure to have breakfast while watching the traffic on the Grand Canal, even if the closest traffic was the previous day's laundry being loaded onto barges from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased you have enjoyed our hotel and location but we are sorry to hear that you feel our staff was not attentive enough and we apologize for this.
We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore you faith in The Westin Europa & Regina by ensuring you receive a true Westin experience.
With best regards
The westin europa & regina

Write a ReviewReviews (2,540)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I hurts me as finally write off my allegiance to the Europa.
My first wife came stayed here 60 years ago as a young girl and over the years the concierge staff always remembered her from her early visits, as she was a frequent visitor.
She brought me and though it was not an annual trip never did 2 years pass before we visited.
In the interim the old staff retired and the Ciga Hotels was sold to Sheraton, which was sold to Starwood and the “Least of the Ciga’s was rebranded a Westin.
Though the Europa was always a notch below the Gritti, Excelsior and Danieli it had what I thought were Venice’s best rooms. The Gritti is further from San Marco and has few rooms on the Canal and the Danieli has none on the Canal and Riva degli Schiavoni is a zoo.
Over the years, I endured the changes, including the change of the staff uniforms from the old Venetian smocks into Westin Golf Shirts, as the old rooms along the Grand Canale were my favorite in Venice.
456 is a small room which over the years has become ever shabbier, with a tiny bath but a huge terrace over the canal from which one can spend good days soaking in the sounds and sight of Venice and go to sleep with the lights of Santa Maria della Salute. I love it.
In the off-season 151 or 252 are big and so Venetian and directly on the canal.
To pass on our Europa tradition we even gave our son a week in 456 for his honeymoon.
My last stay in 456 was ruined by LED lights that were too brightly illuminating the reconstruction of the old nunnery adjacent to Santa Maria. Even with the curtains closed the lights that came on at dusk were horrible. When I complained the front desk staff seemed to be totally unaware and even worse; unconcerned.
I checked out and moved to the Luna where we have been staying on recent trips.
This spring the lore of the canal front rooms drew me back to the Europa figuring that the construction on the church was completed and the lights gone and many Westins are not too badly managed.
I made a mistake.
I had e-mailed the concierge in advance asking that they obtain some tickets and arrange some motoscafi trips as the complimentary launch service that the Europa used to offer between its hotels has been eliminated.
When I arrived the concierge staff was rude and seemed totally ignorant (not only about my requests). When I showed them copies of the e-mails on my I-Phone including their confirmation they still treated me as if I was another dumb tourist imposing on them.
The food had never been exceptional, but lunches on the terrace were always pleasant, but this year the food was downright bad. The pasta was soggy and the fish salty.
The service was as inattentive and insolent as the concierge.
So it is with a heavy heart as I sit here booking my fall trip to Venice that I am debating between the Bauer or the Luna because I am following my own advice and finding someplace else.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank venamo
europaregina, General Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
I have shared and reviewed your comments with all my executive team, in order to avoid similar situation you have duly reported as our goal is to make sure that all guests are made welcome and that each visit is a special one. It thus concerned us deeply to read of your disappointing experience and the negative impression these left with you of our hotel in two different occasions.
Please be confident that our main aim is to offer our valuable clients an outstanding service and a memorable stay at our property and we regret so much to learn that your impressions are not compatible with our philosophy.
Along with our sincerest apologies I strongly hope that we will be offered soon again the chance of welcoming you back with us in a very near future.

Sincerely yours,

CLAUDIO
STADERINI
Deputy Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had business in other parts of Italy and this time my wife was able go join me so I wanted to do something special by adding days in certain cities such as Venice we'd never visited.

Wanting as mentioned to be special I checked various hotels and despite reviews from others about staff I proceeded to book a Grand Canal Suite.. We arrived all seemed to go smoothly with check in and were escorted to our suite by a lovely young lady from Slovenia, with champagne and treats awaiting. We walked on the large deck and it was all one could ever ask an outstanding view, chairs, table, it was stunning. Even my wife commented how the price paid was worth it.

This is when things got a bit dicey. First night we thought given the location we'd enjoy the restaurant at the hotel.. Food was marginal at best as was the service especially at the price. Oh well.. it was the view.

We did all the bits about Venice and on morning we were leaving we as usual were u for a nice walk about but before leaving needed change for 100 euro bill. I went to the front desk abut 7am and asked if she could break the bill and she looked up and stated- we don't have any, then went back to whatever she was doing. I travel and I mean a lot so much so I'm a GS status with United so I know hotels and service so I have higher expectations whereas my wife is more lenient let us say yet she commented how rude the comment was and it's tone. This young lady made no attempt to assist, made no reference to being sorry.. nothing, just rude. When she made her statement rather than offer advice on Customer Care ( I'm a business owner and know it's importance) we just went for a walk.

In closing no matter if the room is modestly priced or in our case over a $1000 a night staff should be courteous and I was astonished at what occurred as was my wife. When we return to the states we will be emailing corporate about this.

In the end comments made by others about the front desk staff being rude were correct. Sad because they really do offer a hotel and 2 rooms especially with stunning view decks of Venice

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TahoeJoe1954

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at The Westin Europa & Regina. I am pleased you have enjoyed our hotel and location but I am sorry to hear that we have not lived up to all your expectations, specifically with our Front desk staff behavior. Your comments will assists us in implementing corrective measures to improve the quality of our services and our guests' experience. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and I would be very grateful if you would please reach out to me directly to rectify our faults.

I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to The Westin Europa & Regina in the near future

With very best regards

CLAUDIO
STADERINI
Deputy Hotel Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Westin Hotel Europa was very nicely located near Si. Mark's . The breakfasts were very good and the views were beautiful. Being right on the Grand Canal made the visit to Venice so much better than the hotel we stayed at on Lido Beach 17 yrs ago,where we had to take water taxis to get to St. Mark's.The staff was very friendly and helpful. This is the hotel to book in Venice!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments on your recent stay at The Westin Europa & Regina.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel and had a great stay with us.
Please come back soon!
With very best regards

executive office
the westin europa & regina

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We walked everywhere! St. Mark's is a 5 minute walk if that and you get to look at all the shops. The bar/restaurant on the water is gorgeous so you really don't even have to leave to get great views. We ate breakfast on the terrace and could hear the gondola singers. The room was a really good size and clean. We had 2 adults and 2 children in the room and they made up a separate twin bed for our little girls. We didn't have a view of the grand canal from our room, but we were really only there to sleep. We sat out in the bar dock every evening and the servers couldn't be nicer, I hope we get to go back soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christy H

Dear Guest,
What a lovely review! Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us, we always aim to fulfil our guests’ expectations and we are pleased to read through your review.
All The Westin Europa & Regina team look forward to welcoming you back soon for another great stay.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We recently had 3 night stay as members of Tauck travel group.....the location on Grand Canal near St Marks Piazza is excellent. Hotel has very nice / excellent common areas including lovely covered, but open air breakfast location (word to wise....birds will freely share your plate if left unattended) beautiful bar and adjacent waterside covered terrace. Room 535 in Europa section was OK, but not great and had only minimal / partial view to Grand Canal. Bath/shower in 535 leaked badly until quickly repaired by staff without difficulty. Bidet location hampered easy access to commode. Nevertheless, we would happily visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: ....birds will quickly (within seconds) sample from any unattended breakfast plate...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RandyT2011
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased you have enjoyed your experience with us.
We will most certainly take your comments and address them to relevant managers.
Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back,
With best regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

As an SPG platinum member I booked one night here for my wife and I. We were upgraded to a suite with I'm sure DeAnne's (my SPG concierge) intervention. Thanks!

The location is great, right on the grand canal, steps to St. Marco. The room was beautifly decorated and luxurious. Fantastic breakfast, friendly, helpful staff.

However, it is Venice, so unless you get a water taxi directly to the hotel dock be prepared to ask a lot of people where the hotel is, as with everything in Venice it is not easy to find.

Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
What a lovely review. We are so pleased to read through your comments and we will make sure share them with the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcome you back.

With warm regards,