“As good as it gets for European Hotels”

The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice
Ranked #100 of 384 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
lic
“As good as it gets for European Hotels”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights with my bf during carnivale. The hotel is in an awesome location, right on the grand canal, very close to San Marco square and convenient to the 1 and 2 vaporetto lines. I had a grand deluxe room - king size bed (combine form two smaller beds) with a partial canal view. The room was huge for European standards. The bedroom was approximately 19' X14', there was a foyer with closets and room to leave my luggage and the bathroom had a shower and a tub and a bidet. I could not expect more for a European hotel, since I'm used to rooms where finding the space to open your suitcase is a little difficult. Bathroom was all marble and really nice. Decorations were very European and fitting for the hotel, but it seems like the furniture/decorations weren't professionally done - for example, there was a long painting on hung low one wall, so that the couch was covering the bottom of it. The bedroom area was really large, and one corner just looked starkly empty without a lamp or a chair. The only complaint that I have was that my room was not ready (cleaned) when I checked it, and I checked in after 3PM, the hotel's check-in time. We waited for half and hour and couldn't take it any longer. When I asked why our room wasn't ready, I was told that the hotel was very busy...the receptionist was nice, but didn't really apologize and didn't seem to comprehend that this wasn't acceptable. I was even more upset when I saw other guests check-in and get keys to their rooms right away, while we continued waiting in the lobby. I have never been to a hotel where my room was not ready after the stated check-in time. We ended up leaving our luggage and going out to explore while our room was prepared. The rest of my experience with this hotel was redeeming, but the importance of honoring the check-in time is something that even a 2 star hotel should be conscious of, let alone a category 5 Westin hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cccqz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Hotel offers one of the best locactions and views on Venice. However, service tends to be a bit slow, on more than one occassion staff simply forgot our requests. Rooms appear to be clean, but when we opened the minibar, some bottles of water and snacks were opened and half eaten. We asked to change that, but it was never done. I suppose the hotel was full during the carnival, but such things are unexcusable in any hotel. Just one very old computer in the business centre, no free wifi, very slow internet. connection.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Houston, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,060 helpful votes
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina during the first weekend of Carnevale. It was located on the Grand Canal and an easy 15 minute walk from the main San Marco water taxi stop. If you have luggage and are walking from San Marco Square, be sure to note that you will have to cross over a bridge with stairs and immediately after crossing that bridge, you need to take a left down some winding alleyways to reach the Westin. There are no signs for the Westin so I imagine a lot of people (including us) get lost trying to find it for the the first time.

The Westin was decorated in an ornate style with richly hued plush sofas, lots of marble and Venetian glass chandeliers. Our room was small but overlooked the Grand Canal which felt like something out of a movie. It was well appointed with the usual flat screen tv, mini bar, safe, bathrobes, desk, etc... Our marble clad bathroom had Murano glass sconces, heated floors and Westin's White Tea toiletries.

I also want to mention the Westin's Concierge staff which helped us immensely with advance dinner reservations and general directions/advice. I began emailing with them about 2 weeks prior to our arrival and they were extremely responsive to emails. For example, our flight to Venice arrived late and as a result, we wouldn't have made our Friday night 8 pm dinner reservation on time but I emailed the Westin's Concierge from the Venice Airport about the delay and they immediately changed our reservation for us and wrote me back.

I loved my stay at the Westin and would happily return!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jemimagold
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review you have written! Thank you very much for taking the time to do so.

I will pass on those positive comments to the Concierge team and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for assistance or for reservations.

UK
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We have just spent the most idyllic week in January in this wonderful hotel. It is impossible to exaggerate the splendid location it enjoys and equally impossible to overstate how well we were treated from the moment we arrived. We spent a week pretending we lived there and it was a long and magical dream. The location of the Europa is fabulous – right on the Grand Canal but with entrances so discreet you wouldn’t know it was there. The room we were given exceeded all our expectations and filled us with delight. The views from our terrace were stupendous, whether by day or by night and we had to keep pinching ourselves. It was so remearkable that we consciously built time into each day just to enjoy being in the hotel. With a B&O CD player we could have Vivaldi and Monteverdi to our heart's content and stepping out on to the terrace with a glass of something whilst gazing at the view was unforgettable. The hotel has a unique vantage point from which you can take in the island of San Giorgio, the Dogana and the magnificent Salute. The view from the dining room is equally enchanting and it was incredible to sit each morning at breakfast straight opposite the Salute church as Grand Canal rippled with the constant passing of vaporetti, water taxis, gondolas… Being January we had both sunny days and also some days of authentic mist which were equally delightful and impossibly romantic.
The other perfect component of this elegant and comfortable hotel is the staff. Everyone, from management to maid, was unfailingly courteous and kind and nothing is too much trouble. We felt thoroughly well looked after and totally at home. The purpose of our stay was to celebrate a special birthday (for which we were very kindly sent a bottle of champagne in our room) but frankly, everything here is so perfect it feels as though each day is a birthday in itself.
We hope to return to a place which has created for us some magical memories. I have never written a review before but it seems unfair not to share thess wonderful experiences. I cannot recommend it too highly. Do get the hotel to organise your water taxi – they will meet you at the airport and drive you straight to the dock. From that moment on the magic unfolds…

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank crivellino
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Dear Guest,
What make us happy the most is satisfied guests, and this review is fabulous!
Our aim is to always exceed our guests’ expectations and I am delighted to know the team has done that with you. We all here look forward to welcoming you back soon for another magical week in our beautiful city and please do not hesitate to contact us directly for assistance or for reservations.
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Venice was our third stop on our Italy trip, and once we figured the place out it became one of our favorites. We followed the hotels on-line instrucitons to get to them, but it would have helped if they give which direction to take the Vaporrato - take the "1" towards "Lido". By doing this and getting off at the first San Marco stop you are a super easy, one little bridge walk from the hotel.

As stated everywhere - the hotel is in a terrific location - minutes from everyhting. Reality in Venice is if you aren't dragging suitcases, walking is the fastest and easiest mode of transportation. Venice was the most expensive city we stayed in due to the fact that delivery is that much more expensive and labor intensive than anywhere else. There are ways to control costs, but expect to pay more period.

We were given a large comfortable room facing into the alley on a higher floor - it was not a problem for us. Everything was ship shape updated and well maintained. Hotel staff was excellent - we got very good dinner recommendations at a couple of nice places. Seafood is king in Venice - so if you would like to enjoy a variety of fish and shellfish, this is the place for it.

Being that this was our third stop, we learned how to economize by having breakfast at a bakery and eating standing up at a counter looking out the window - just like real italians. If you sit down you are looking at a heftry add on. On almost every street and alley we walked through there were opportunities to find something reasonably priced to eat. - pizza, panini's etc...

We did not do pre-planned tours in Venice proper. Venice was just fun walking and exploring and getting lost.in. We spent most of our days enjoying the spectacle that is Venice.

We did a short boat ride/tour to Murano, Burano and Torcello. You can purchase tickets right at the pier near where you got off to get to the hotel. The ticket booth can't be missed. You won't get alot of exploring time - especially in Murano, where they take you right to a glass works to see a short demo followed by an opportunity to purchase some of the beautiful glassware. You had a bit more time to wander in Torcello and Burano. The boat did include a narration by a multi-lingual guide, but due to the heavy fog there wasn't much to see. Do go to the bathroom before you leave on your trip - public WC's were scarce and those available were charging userous rates since they effectively had a monopoly. You can take Vaporrato's on your own to these islands if you don't want to be controlled by the "guided tour".

Bottom line - The Westin Regina Europa was a terrific home base for us in Venice. Terrific staff, well maintained and easy to get to.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mchud
Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2011

When we arrived in Venice it was rainy and gloomy but absolutely stunning! Venice was my favourite place in Italy that my mom and I visited. Here are a few of my observations:

The hotel was not too far from the water bus stop that we got off at but it was quite hard to find and lug our bags to! I would recommend taking a more expensive water taxi as it literally stops right in front of the hotel- Just for the first time and then the water bus is a great way to get around Venice! The hotel itself was in a fantastic location- literally less than 5 mins away from the popular Piaza San Marco. One concern I had was that you had to walk down some narrow/sketchy paths to get to the hotel which at night I did not enjoy (we are two ladies, 27 and 50+) However I really liked how close it was to the shops and great restaurants. Beware though because Venice truly is expensive especially in the summer- except if you visit one of their grocery stores. We found one when we ventured more north in Venice and it was great! The booze is so cheap!

Our room was very big as was the bathroom- I really had no complaints! Bring your own clock though. I also melted my hair straightener because for some reason I could not figure out what was up with my converter!

We never ate in the restaurant itself because it was insanely expensive but we did grab a fantastic glass of wine in the bar (also very expensive) and sat right along the canal at nighttime, eating pistachios that they provided! Such a good time!

The staff were great there as well. They booked us our train ticket to Florence and provided us with umbrellas when it rained! All in all it was a fantastic time- I can't imagine staying anywhere else! We got a great deal on this hotel for the summer I thought but it is/was still quite expensive- that would be my only concern.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank ilovedgreece
Otego, New York
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I can't say enough about this hotel. The location was perfect. The room was incredible. The staff was AMAZING! If you can afford it - this is the place to stay when in Venice. Steps away from San Marco, in one direction an easy walk to Peggy Guggenheim and in the another to the Rialto Bridge. Our room overlooked the Santa Maria della Salute church and it was hard NOT to just stare at the beauty of the view.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank RCSNY

What a wonderful review!

We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us directly for assistance or for reservations.