“Christmas in Venice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 386 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas in Venice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

We spent four nights over Christmas at this hotel in a junior suite and loved every minute.
The location is outstanding, just moments from St Mark's. The hotel is certainly amongst the very finest in Venice. The service is superb, whilst the rooms are sumptuous and elegant.
We did not eat in the hotel but loved Harry's (30 seconds walk from the hotel). Also highly recommended are Osteria San Marco, Do Forni and L'Incontro.
We will definitely return.

For the transfer from Marco Polo airport do not book a water taxi in advance as to do so through the hotel will cost you significantly more than just paying when you arrive. (There are many available as soon as you clear customs). A water taxi is the most special (and easiest) way to get from the airport to the hotel.

Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JFF79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Golden, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

We stayed at the Baglioni while on our honeymoon in November. We felt this was an excellent hotel and a good value.

Location: Couldn't ask for a better location. Very short walk to St. Marks square. Water bus station was a few hundred feet away.

Room: Fantastic, especially for the price. The room (Junior suite) was spacious (had seperate dressing niche and sitting area) and clean. The bathroom was almost larger than our room in Paris.

Service: Very friendly. However, the person who took us up to our room did a bad job of explaining how the door keys work and left with our door key. Not really a big deal, but we came back to our room later to find the key sitting in the keyhole, which could have led to a very bad day, but it ended up fine.

Overall: I would absolutely stay here again. I was very pleased with the room and the hotel. One note, we tried the hotel restaurant and found it to be the worst food we had in Europe, just not tasty at all.

• Liked — the amazing room
  • Disliked — the hotel restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rlp815
selby n yorks england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

We stayed at the Luna Baglioni on the 9th Sept for our wedding,
the whole experience was amazing, from arriving by water taxi to the hotels Front door (the only way to arrive in venice) until we regretfuly had to leave (in tears i might add!) This has got to be the best hotel in venice, the decor is exquisite and our room a Junior Suite was huge and beautifully finished, the room service was really good and every evening the bed was turned down and our slippers put at the side of our bed, also we were left a weather report and a chocolate on our bed every time as well. The staff throughout the hotel were extremely helpful and very friendly, One thing that we cannot thank them enough for was that on our wedding day there was a taxi stike in venice, and we needed 2 taxis to take our party to the ceromony and reception, ours were not running, so the hotel saved the day by letting us use theirs for the duration of the day.
We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will certainly return, its location cannot be beaten 30 seconds to St Marks, i will never get fed up of walking there last thing at night when all the crowds have gone, there is nowhere on this earth that can beat its atmosphere, and we were staying right on its doorstep Bliss!
Just one note for those people that complain about the noise.
Venice is a city and the noise of venice is what makes it venice.
Go to the top of a mountain if you want silence!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank gath
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

After reading many trip advisor reviews of the Luna Baglioni, we decided to chose it for a four day trip to Venice. It is indeed a beautiful, almost faultless hotel with its own landing stage, an absolute must for a hotel in Venice to avoid trawling the narrow crowded streets with suitcases.

We booked a junior suite as reports I'd read had suggested that double rooms were a bit on the small side. We were glad we did. We were also aware from fellow travellers that it could be noisy. Our suite, although sumptuous, was still on the petite side but full of antiques and very clean although it did face the building opposite over a narrow lane, so there was no particular view. Nothing adequately prepared us for the din coming from the street below on our first night though. We were exhausted from a very early flight and looking forward to a good rest but our room was on the side of the hotel over the Gucci shop, which lead directly to one of the boat landing stages. For most of our three nights the noise coming from people walking to and fro to the vaporetto was apallingly loud even though they were only talking. This was probably due in part to the narrow street and high buildings which filters the noise upwards. Sleepng with the window open therefore was not an option. After the first night, we went to a chemist and bought earplugs. These were brilliant and afforded us two really good nights' sleep after that.

I would recommend this hotel mainly because it has an excellent location. On our second night we had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant, which is well worth a try even though it is not cheap by any means. The staff are helpful too.

On another note, first time visitors should be aware that Venice is both horrendously crowded and very expensive so be prepared. We tended to wander to more 'Italian' parts of the city and sit and eat with the locals as the food is still very good but about a third of the price and it's less frantic. On our last day we travelled to the Lido, which is worth a visit as the beach is long and sandy and pretty deserted at this time of year. Not a restful break but a stunning city nonetheless.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank JackieBLondon
Hampshire, Great Britain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

We stayed at the Luna Baglioni from 15th -17th August. I booked the room directly on the hotel's website and got a good deal on a Junior Suite by paying in full a month before we arrived.

The hotel e-mailed confirmation of the booking and assured me that we would be allocated the best room in the category as we were visitng for my husband's birthday.

I had booked this as a surprise and I managed to get him all the way on the plane before he found out the destination! We arrived at the airport and took a private water taxi to the hotel which was 95 euros. Venice is very expensive!!!!! The Junior Suite was lovely - fantastic view of the lagoon (we were on the top floor) and the hotel had left a bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped fruit as a birthday welcome. Very nice touch. The hotel had arranged a table for us at Harry's for my husband's birthday dinner. We had Bellinis and shared the entrecote and they gave us a free birthday cake and sang "Happy Birthday". I think the meal with a bottle of champange was about 350 euros!

The next morning we went out on a Gondola ride (200 euros!!!!) and spent the afternoon doing the tourist attractions and found some nice bars around the Rialto bridge. We also had a pizza at one of the ourdoor restaurants that evening which was a reasonable price. We went up the bell tower at about 7pm (as it didn't shut until 9pm) and avoided the queues. If you sit down at one of the places that have an orchestra playing in St. Marks Square, they charge 9 euros for the music, but this was a lovely experience. Best to stay at one place for the evening if you choose to sit!!!

When we checked out, the hotel stored our luggage safely and called us a water taxi when we needed to leave.

I could not fault the hotel - the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was fantastic and clean and we would return to the Luna Baglioni. The location was perfect - steps from St. Marks Square and all of the "action"!

• Liked — The location/room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank fionado
Montrose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel Aug 29-31, 2008.

This is a very beautiful hotel with her own private dock for easy access from the canal/river. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the breakfast buffet sumptuous! and the staff is friendly & professional.

I would have rated this hotel an "excellent" rating had it not been for three incidents:

1. Prior to my arrival, the hotel already faxed a questionnaire asking me about my preference. They explained that this their way of personalizing their service to their guests. Needless to say, I was delighted & impressed with this "personalized" effort & from the prepared list,selected a room on a high floor, with a spectacular view, an american newspaper, a fruit salad dish, and a choice of candle scent for the night.

After succeeding to buoy up my expectations, I was absolutely disappointed when I was ushered to my junior suite on the 2nd floor with a view of the wall of the adjacent building ( I was awakend by the noise from people talking on the street the following morning). The junior suite, while tastefully embellished, was small, had a low ceiling, felt cramped, dark and dingy.

When I phoned in the front desk to express my disappointment,
The hotel staff (Marco) explained that a last minute switch had to be made because my "room" was not prepared & the hotel was fully booked.

To the hotel's credit, Marco saved the day by "upgrading"
me the following night to a large, bright & cheery room on the 4th floor with a spectacular view of the river.

2. The other incident? No hotel can lay claim to be one of the leading hotels in the world when their bathroom is infested (isolated or not) with what looks like a "roach".
It just so happens that housekeeping was providing turn down service that night so I pointed out the "other hotel guest" to her.
She stared at the foreign object for a second, pulled a piece of toilet paper and completely annihilated the enemy with one strike.

Not meaning to embarass Marco, I did mention this to him when I checked out from the hotel so they can look into this "invasion" at the least.

3. The breakfast buffet offers a sumptuous spread but the service is disappointing. When we entered the hall on our first morning, no one immediately attended to us & we had to wait for a few minutes. This was past 10:15 am when things were winding down. When the dark haired lady led finally us to our table,
I noticed that my plate had no napkin and I had to ask for one.
The plates are not cleared so you have to pile them on the side while you bring in fresh plates.

The good news is that all of these "oversights" were corrected and we left happy & satisfied guests. Unfortunately, these little & maybe petty things leave their marks and should not be part of any guest's experience. But when you claim to be one of the leading hotels in the world, one cannot blame us for coming in with high expectations.

• Liked — Location and accommodation
  • Disliked — read my review
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hmspcl
Sydney, australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

If you are after a truly romantic, truly special stay in Venice, I couldn't recommend the Luna Hotel Baglioni more highly.
Having said that, I stayed a wonderful two nights by myself there, and couldn't have been happier.
This is one of those truly class hotels where everyone makes a point of welcoming you back from a day's sightseeing, or greeting you in the morning, by name. The concierge here is terrific -- he got me tickets for things and answered all my questions with a sincerity and care that made me feel very special.
The rooms! Glamorous Venetian style, all silks and flowing curtains and opulence. Perhaps, not for the minimalist.
I had a huge bathroom with a claw bath and a tiny balcony that had water views and looked down onto the Cipriani.
The location, just behind San Marco is great. All those church bells! Lovely. But it's on a little deadend street, so despite being on the square, it's still not too rowdy around the place.
And the water taxi can pull up right at the front door! Though it is also right near the San Marco ferry station.
This place is simply lovely. I did find the corridors a little Barton Fink, but in the oldest hotel in Venice, you can expect a little, um, atmosphere in some parts.
Treat yourself, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Living the Venice high life to the full!
  • Disliked — Not a lot, really.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo