“Never forever”

Ambassador Tre Rose
Ranked #288 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 25 July 2011

When we arrived there was no one waiting for us and we had to drag our bags from one place to another for a distance of about two kilometers. Reception staff where at the other hotel next door were too agressive to the guests.They were all arrogant in their dealings with guests to the maximum degree especially with guests from middle east

Room Tip: No good view, very small rooms, old room key. My advise (DO NOT GO to this hotel)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hani-KSA

Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed here 5 nights over Easter, 2011, mainly based on location. Location was great, yes, but basically there is very little to really like about this place, the whole experience was quite poor.

Starting with the few good points first: you can’t beat this place for location, it’s practically on top of St. Marks Square. While that means you might have to travel a little further to find a decent restaurant, it does mean you’re within easy reach of the airport waterbus and all the sights. The room we had at this hotel was clean and relatively spacious. And that’s it for good points.

Okay, my main gripes with this place were the lack of advertised air-conditioning, the awful staff, and the atrocious breakfast – in that order. Firstly, what this place does not advertise is they do not turn on the air conditioning until May. We were in Venice over the Easter this year and it was not only quite warm at night, it was quite humid, and one of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the air-conditioning. Big mistake – the air conditioning was turned off, and the room was like a furnace if you closed the windows, and if you opened them you had the pleasure of hearing every footfall in the street below, not to mention the joys of midnight bells at St. Marks sounding like they were on your window ledge while being feasted upon by every winged thing that passed by as you tried to sleep.

When we approached the staff over this, asking them to turn on the air conditioning, we were arrogantly told that “Not until May, and besides, Venetians don’t mind this weather” – which would be a valid and intelligent response if a hotel for tourists actually had any Venetians staying there! Apart from this stupid and rude dismissal, the receptionist took two phone calls and spoke to three guests in the middle of our conversation, and then proceeded to play with the computer for a while. When I asked her what she was doing, she told me nothing, as there was nothing she could do. So that ended that conversation fairly quickly. They did offer to bring a fan up to the room, but to be honest, when you add a fan to an oven, you just get a fan-assisted oven, so it was a marginal improvement at best.

The breakfast can only be described as a travesty. The selection is poor, and the quality of the food is truly appalling. Really, give it a miss. To add to the non-existent ambiance, the staff working here look like they are dead inside. They also have this ridiculous and infuriating system where you have to ask for a plate so you can serve yourself breakfast – the wonders of Italian bureaucracy at work, I assume. You can be waiting 5 -10 minutes of a plate, even after asking the staff for one. Also, things like the coffee machine and the orange juice would keep running out. On one occasion, when I asked for the orange juice (I use the term liberally, as it was really diluted orange squash) jug to be refilled, the staff member looked at me, walked passed, and proceeded to load the dish washer in the kitchen. The juice arrived 20 minutes later. Probably one of the worst set-ups and food quality I have ever seen in a hotel, it was like they went out of their way to make it as unpleasant an experience as possible.

In a nutshell, the ONLY reason to stay here is location, the rest is an unfunny Faulty Towers impression. This hotel is run by the Best Western next door, so there is no dedicated receptionist at this hotel or, from what I can make out, any consideration for the guests either. If you don’t complain, and if you willing to put up with obnoxious staff and poor quality, then probably this place would be okay for the location and general room condition, but you could probably do better. Actually, you definitely could do better.

Tip:- it can be quite difficult to find a decent restaurant in Venice, but one we love, and went back to a few times was ‘Bagolo’ on Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio. It has a superb menu, relatively cheap, and seems very popular with the locals (the second time we were there we had to wait on a table). The staff are very friendly and speak a convenient array of different languages fluently, and the Campo itself has a more local feel than most (a rare thing in Venice sometimes). Definitely our favourite place to eat in Venice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ExplorerIreland
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Very small and a bad damp smell throughout the hotel. Our room was very cold and despite a heater in the room it never warmed up to a comfortable temperature. Also non existent hot water. Every request to reception was met with a promise it would be seen to. It never was. On the third night we were changed rooms to one that was at least warm but still no hot water for a show. Also it turned out we were locked into the booking. We decided to move onto
Rome and asked when we arrived but told we had to stay there for 4 days we had mistakenly booked for. There was no flexibilty in the booking. This coloured our view of Venice as we had to be there when we felt we had experienced it completely as we could. Attitude of hotel staff was less than helpful, even arrogant at times just repeating things like a mantra rather than communicating about an issue.
I'm sure there are better options. Helpful and accomadating staff make all the difference.
Lastly no tea and coffee making facilties so no early morning cuppa in bed if you enjoly that. Nothing open to buy one either.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2010

The hotel is located right behind Piazza San Marco in the heart of the tourist section of Venice.

Getting there: Just take the water taxi from the train station to Piazza San Marco and thenstanding in the middle of Piazza San Marco facing away from the water walk straight back and find Calle dei- Fabbri. The hotel is right next to a Best Western and you will find that the Best Western right next door is where to go for check in and questions.

The day I arrived, the tide was very high and the square was partially flooded. Apparently, the hotel also experienced about a foot of water entering as well. However, all of the rooms are at least one floor up so this did not pose a problem.

The room was very spacious. Huge, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, good selection of TV channels. However, there was a smell of sewage in the room. I thought it may be due to the flooding but upon speaking to other guests and seeing one of their rooms, it became apparent that it was just my room.

It was late and I was leaving the next day so I just slept, woke up early and checked my bag while I went sight seeing.

All in all a great room, great location, great price but the smell hopefully was just a freak occurrence and not something that anyone else experienced.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank SFOTraveler1113
Reviewed 7 December 2010

BED BUGS
This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The rooms were small and we had bed bugs. We were Itching and scratching. We asked the clerk at the recpetion to change us , but they said that if we wanted a better room we had to pay more. We then asked to speak to the Hotel manager, no service , rude and extremely arrogant. We stayed there 2 nights and then left.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank labelle58
Reviewed 15 October 2010

WARNING! If you book this hotel using Orbtiz, the Hotel may, on your arrival, move you to a different, dumpy hotel in a bad location. If I could have given zero stars to this hotel I would have.

I have to say, this was one of the worst experiences I’ve had with a hotel. We arrived at the Ambassador Tre Rose Hotel in Venice on a Friday afternoon and were really pleased with its location and couldn’t wait to drop our bags in our room and get out and explore Venice. We went to check in and at first they couldn’t find our reservation. After a couple of minutes, a worker at the hotel who was behind the reception counter (working behind a curtain) came out and told us that our room had water problems and that we had to be moved to another hotel room. We said OK and he proceeded to take us out of the hotel and take us on a 10 minute walk to another hotel. We had to walk through a dark alley (it had a cement ceiling on it so no light was shining in it) that had feces in it. We then ended up taking a right out of that alley and going up another alley that was desolate and a dead end. Our hotel was on that part of the alley.

The room was big, but it was a dump. Right away we objected to the room and wanted to be put in another hotel. The person from the Ambassador said we could write a letter and have our money refunded, but there was nothing he could do about the room. My new wife and I (we were on our honeymoon), discussed the issue and decided to go talk to the manager at the Ambassador. Along the way, we stopped at other hotels checking to see if they had any water problems and if they had any availability. None of the hotels said they had water problems.

We went back and met with the manager and explained to him that we were not happy with the other hotel, how we paid $255 for the night to be in San Marco square and on a street with a lot of life and shops, and how we did not want to be walking through unsafe alleys that have feces in them. The manager took me outside to show me an alley behind the Ambassador (which was more like a courtyard) and explained to me that some people don’t feel safe in that alley. The alley was well lit and he pointed out that they had three security cameras monitoring it. I wasn’t sure why he was showing me this, so I asked him if the alley we would have to walk to for the new hotel had security cameras in it, he said no. So instead of making me feel better, he made me feel even worse about the new hotel.

We then asked him to show us the water damaged room and he refused. He said if I were injured in the damaged room he would go to jail (according to Italian law) and he was not about to go to jail. He did show us an economy room and even that was much nicer than the hotel we were put in. The funny thing about showing us the economy room was that we didn’t book an economy room, we booked a classic. He couldn’t even get the type of room we were in right. Since we were in a classic room and not the economy room that had water damage, why were we bumped? After seeing another post on this site saying they couldn’t get their room because of plumbing problems it is pretty clear that they just overbooked the hotel and that is why we were bumped.
The more we talked to him about the situation, the less helpful he became. Instead of coming up with other options for us, he just kept sighting Italian law stating that he was only legally obligated to put us in another 3 star hotel. At one point he told us we could sleep in the lobby if the other hotel was not going to be good enough for us. That was pretty insulting. He continued the insults by constantly looking at me and indicating to me to control my wife. My wife was never out of control or angry, she was just trying to make her point be heard and he kept cutting her off by saying the same things over and over.

Amongst the insults, he managed to tip his cap about customers that use Orbtiz to book rooms in his hotel. He informed us that since we only booked the room for one night and that we booked through Orbitz at a cheaper rate, we were bumped to another hotel. Other guests had paid more for their rooms so it seems that you are taking your chances if you book this hotel through Orbitz.

After about a half an hour of this, he finally told us we could have a refund if we weren’t happy with the new room. We would just have to write a letter to Orbitz. If we did that, he would grant us a refund. When we got home and contacted Orbitz he declined the refund sighting Italian law saying all he needed to do was put us in another 3 star hotel. We knew this manager was sketchy, but we took it on faith that he would live up to what he said. Sadly he really showed us the type of business that he runs and the type of person that he is. I would strongly discourage anyone from booking a room in this hotel. The Best Western across the street has much nicer people working there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank newlywed072
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel was exactly the type of thing I was looking for in Venice, minutes away from the Piazza San Marco but not on it (too $$) and with good showers and clean facilities air conditioners but in an older building with Venetian chandeliers and our own little piazza. I loved the feeling of being immersed in the locale and this hotel achieved that for me. I would definately go back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family