“Disappointing stay in Venice”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Albergo San Marco

Albergo San Marco
Ranked #208 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stay in Venice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We arrived a day late due to a hoax bomb scare at our transit airport but the 2 rooms we booked were kept for us. The receptionist was matter of fact and our only help to our rooms was to be shown the lift and which floor to get off. The hotel has definitely seen better days but I understand this is fairly standard for Venetian hotels. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were a decent size. We asked for a kettle and this duly arrived with tea and coffee and there was a fridge stocked with drinks and water. The noise from outside finally died down after midnight but we accepted this as it was Carnavale.
Breakfast could be classed somewhere between disaster and horrendous. The food was as expected for a continental breakfast but was of poor quality. We had to wait for a table to be cleared..there was a mess of crockery and cutlery on every table. There appeared to be only 2 staff in the dining room and they were clearly struggling..none of the 5 staff at the reception desk appeared to be in any hurry to help. Despite arriving for breakfast reasonably early, there wasn't any hot water or coffee, no hot food at all and we had to ask 3 times before we got any service at all. The girl who attended us was actually a housemaid and should have been making up the rooms. She had no kitchen experience at all. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it's location is excellent, being literally 20 yards from St Marks Square.
Clearly my friends and I will not be booking this hotel again. Despite this we have enjoyed our brief stay in Venice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our bedroom was huge, with nice furniture & windows facing one of the small channels and a small bridge over it. Quiet place, good service, excellent breakfast, local & english newspapers, WiFi, and a computer for everyone's use. Best location, right on top of Piazza San Marco.
An advice: Experienced friends had advised my wife and I to board the Vaporetto as soon as we arrived to the Airport, and it proved to be a wonderful choice, as the boat took us along the lagoon and channels, beautiful sightseeing. But when the boat stopped at "San Marco Giardinetti" we were left there with our luggage. No taxis, no cars. Fortunately we had just a middle size suitcase and a carry-on each, and we managed to pull them across the Piazza up to the hotel. But our friends had bigger suitcases and it was not that easy to lift them up some stairs & cross a couple of romantic bridges. No hotel is allowed to send you help, they can only call authorized porters, who charge E15 just for the first suitcase, and E5 for each subsequent piece. By the time we left the effort was not so much, for we had found a better walking route to the Vaporetto, along the Piazzetta San Marco that starts right in front of the Cathedral and takes you to the waterfront without any stairs. So, travel light if you choose to lodge in this wonderful area, and from the Vaporetto walk to your right some 100m until you reach Piazzetta San Marco, turn left, cross the Piazza and a bit to the left find this nice albergo San Marco. located in my map at the corner of the Piazza and Calle dei Fabbri.
Cheers!

Room Tip: We had a very nice room and so did our friends, also an elderly couple
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nelson P
Palm Desert, Califorrnia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We arrived in Venice a day early for our cruise, and spent one night here in Sept/11. We had some difficulty negotiating the cobblestones in San Marco, and the steps up and down the bridge connecting to the hotel due to extra luggage for the cruise. Upon arrival we were checked in and directed to our room - no help from any staff- it took us several trips in a tiny elevator, and negotiating hallways and stairs to reach our small room. For over 340 Euro we were truly disappointed. The front desk staff were surly at times and at all times had an aloofness that does not make a traveller comfortable. The bathroom was appalling - desperately in need of a update - shabby decor, uncomfortable fixtures. The bedding was also in need of replacement. All in all a dreadful start to our tour and an unfortunate introduction to Venice.

Room Tip: there may be one - not room 1258
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank judy k

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

La Rochelle, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have just come back from my fourth stay in Venice in a few years. It was my second stay at Albergo San Marco. The previous was in November 2009 for 4 nights with two friends ( rooms 208 and 406). This time I was with my daughter and we stayed for 3 nights in a superior room (114) on the first floor, overlooking the canal. I am always surprised when I read bad reviews of places I have enjoyed, and this hotel seems to have a few of those. However my experience is not at all negative. The personnel of the hotel were always very courteous. They speak different foreign languages quite fluently, but enjoy your trying to greet them at least in Italian, which I always do. I was able to print my travel documents ( free of charge ) on the printer attached to the computer in the lobby, and the receptionist helped me when one sheet of paper stuck in the printer at one point. Breakfast is good, plenty of choice: hot croissants, eggs, ham and cheese, different sorts of bread, cereals...etc....I have never been to Venice in the high season so I cannot say what it would be like then, in the frenzy of summertime; best avoided, probably. The room was large, very clean, furnished with period furniture, a good bed, and good heating. The bathroom was well equipped and spotless. Impeccable linen changed daily. I can imagine that it could be noisy. Despite our double glazing windows, we heard the workers in the street one morning. But when in Venice one wants to be up and about, visiting, not staying in bed all morning, so it did not disturb us.
In conclusion, this second stay has convinced me that this hotel is a good choice; its location is superb, next to San Marco square, it has reasonable prices for Venice, and I would definitely stay there again on my next visit. I have stayed at two other hotels in Venice -Marconi on the Rialto - and Al Sole in San Polo- both were ok, but this one is equally good, in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Frenchgirl60
Innsbruck , Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Overall a very good hotel , nice service , good breakfast. The rooms are Ok in size , nice , Free Internet connection. The hotel is old fashion but well maintained .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Pune, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

The Location was very good and convenient to reach. It's right on San Marco square. We were there for 3 nights. We had a triple room which had a double bed in one room and a single bed in one and was quite good in size.
I only wish that the bathroom was well planned .The size was fine but it really needed a shower cubicle. The shower had a curtain and the water would all flow out if you were not very very careful while having a shower.
The rest of our stay was really good. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

After disembarking a cruise ship,we stayed 3nights here. The first room we were given was so noisy,tiny,and the shower flooded the whole room because there was a 2inch gap at the bottom of the shower cubicle. Not good.
The wifi is awkward to log out of,so you end up using up your 20hour allowance too quickly.
The decor is shoddy. Needs updating. I'm all for authentic,but chipped furniture and blankets on the bed are not my idea of comfort.
Some of the staff on the front desk were friendly. Some were down-right rude!!
Plus points,cheap(for Venice),excellent location. Would not stay here again though.

• Stayed November 2011