“Good location, clean and basic for a short stay”
Review of Albergo San Marco

Albergo San Marco
Ranked #207 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Good location, clean and basic for a short stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived in Venice in the early evening and found the hotel very easily.(i had google mapped it before we set off)
The room was clean, comfortable and small but just right for our 3 night stay. The Hotel decor seemed very dated but our room was very pleasant.There was the hair dryer in the bathroom, which was adequate.
Our roomed looked out on to the small street below, on the first night the Restaurant/cafe connected to the hotel was open most of the night and people were sat outside at the tables and chairs, if I could've understood Italian I would have been able to translate every word they said - all the laughing, shouting, talking, running - did not stop until 2am. After a long day of travelling I was not amused. In the morning I realised there were some shutters, but I couldn't open the window to get to the shutters. I mentioned it to the reception staff twice, they said they would check it for us whilst we were out for the day. But when we came back in the evening it hadn't been done. I went down to reception to complain again and the main receptionist - Constantino - said it would have to wait until the morning, I said it couldn't, he rolled his eyes and sighed and said he would send someone to sort. Indeed a young man came and sorted for us, and I had a better nights sleep, but didn't block out all the noise.
The breakfast was basic, but ok, and this got very busy at certain times. There was just two ladies serving and cooking, so they did well in the circumstances.
On our checkout we handed in our keys and paid the tourist tax which was €3 per person per. Night. However then Constantino presented us with a bill for €250 ish , we were a little shocked, but he quickly re-calculated when we queried.
Overall a good base and we enjoyed our whole stay in Venice, having said all of the above we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try a room at the back of hotel away from main street
2 Thank dovesnest22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I should have reviewed this sooner, apologies...

On checking out of the place the old chap said it bank card didn't go through, he then phoned a number and read the card details to someone to clear it. Swiped it again and everything was fine.

NOT

We got home and found or credit card had been cloned. He copied the card in 1 swipe machine, read all the details to someone; then did they proper transaction using the real credit card machine.

Be careful, I don't know if he it there now. Just in case.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank PDFinch
Manager_3stars_SMH, General Manager at Albergo San Marco, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Sirs,
I am very astonished to read your e-mail.
Unfortunately because you do not use your name I am not able to understand who you are, if you have been really our guest and if you are reviewing the right hotel.
You know, it is already happen somebody wrote a review using the wrong Hotel name.
However I want to explain what we usually do when a credit card it is not working properly through the Point Of Sales we have at our disposal.
We simply call the Toll-Free Number of the Credit Card Company asking the reason why the card it is not working.
We provide them the number and the expiration date and they can check what is going on.
After that, if they ask to do it, we pass the card through the POS again and it works.
When nothing happen we ask for a new card.
The cashier has 2 different POS at his disposal in case one of them is out of order.
That is what we do at the Best Western San Marco in Venice.
Because I never received before from you a message, an e-mail or anything else apart to read the review on Tripadvisor and the same from the Police, I really don't know how to consider your review.
I don't want to seem to be unpolite but it sounds at least suspicious.
So if you are sure to have reviewed the right Hotel please contact me directly, give me more information and the possibility to understand, and I can assure I will investigate about the matter.
If not, please delete your review because it sounds offensive to us and our daily hard work.
Thanking you for your attention I remain awaiting for your next step.

F.Patrizio
Area Manager
3 stars Hotels - San Marco Hotels Group

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Adelaide
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Fabulous location once you have you have your bearings. Lots of small streets to get lost in , which is half the fun. The breakfast for my liking was disgusting, if you don't get in early they don't seem to replace the food.
Our room was so small we laughed so much , I gad to rearrange the furniture so that we could open our suitcases. The room was very clean and that's what we really look for. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal
1 Thank greenfrogs
London
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Lovely little hotel even though its a chain. Centrally located on the door step of St Marks and only a 7min walk to Rialto. Staff were really helpful providing with us with an electricity adaptor as we had brought the wrong one. They also printed our boarding passes off with no problem. Tea and Coffee is provided all day upon request and I believe tea making facilities can be provided in your room upon request. Rooms were decorated venetian style and were spotless. Would have given an excellent but for the awful fruit juice provided at breakfast and the cold pre-cooked omelettes.

Room Tip: Quite a bit of street noise in the morning - so ask for a room over the canal.
2 Thank LondonDids
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

stayed in a small, old and tattered building, but that didn't matter it was based in the best city in the world, we visited all of the attractions and walked for miles around the streets and canals of venice.

one of the nights i finally popped the question and asked my partner to be my wife, she said yes, this place is truly the best and most romantic city in the world, a must for anyone who has never been

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jack E
Essex uk
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Booked here for a long weekend stay. Very old building so floors uneven. Rooms small but adequate. En suite bathroom small, but modern and clean. Restaurant attached has a poor menu selection and quite expensive. Continental breakfast was not very appetising with limited choice. Reception staff a little remote but quite helpful. Can be quite noisy outside at night as hotel in a narrow alleyway and all talking echoes, so keep windows shut. There does appear to be air con for summer months but it was not on at this time of year. It was ideal for St Marks Square however... literally a stones throw through an archway. Beds are very hard and pillows very flat so we did not sleep too well.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very difficult to find, actually ended up in the sister Hotel and then was given directions to the San Marco Best Western. Great location, couldn't have had better. Quiet but very central, behind St Mark's Square. The room was small ,but both bathroom and room were very clean. Just a shower (extremely small one) no bath tub. The kitchen and bar staff were really friendly and hard working. The front desk staff could have tried to be a bit more friendly! The continental breakfast was good with quite a lot of choice. The bar was expensive....e8.50 for a beer and e5 for a can of cola! Although it said Wifi we never actually connected.Don't use anything from the mini bar water is e3 a bottle, just buy from a local shop for e1 instead. Venice is really fun and we found the Venetians really friendly compared to other cities in Italy. Be prepared to spend, everything is pretty expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple