“Very basic with great location!!”
Review of Hotel Ateneo

Hotel Ateneo
Ranked #208 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 27 February 2013

First of all if you decide to find your hotel in Venice on your own print a google map with the walking way to the destination and always follow the arrows with indication painted on the top of the walls. Its the best way to walk around Venice!But obviously at some point you'll end up getting lost! :)
I took the very quick, convenient and cheap (having in mind Venice prices) bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and then had the half an hour walk to the hotel. If you dont carry heavy luggage its a good way to safe a few euros!Otherwise forget about it!Take the vaporetto or if you can afford it: the water taxi.
Checking in you'll be charged the Venice occupation tax: in this case, because we are talking about a 3 star hotel, you'll be charged 3€ per night/person. It ill be printed later on on the check out invoice.
We stayed in a standard room. I liked it: venician style decoration, very clean, flat screen with plenty of channels. So we were excited with the room!Until we open the bathroom door: no tub.
This may sound fussy but all you wanna do after a snow storm in soak your frozen feet in wam water. Which with only a shower on the wall it bocomes impossible!!Also forget about the romantic bathes...
No lift.
Air con always very, very hot!When i got to the room after dinner i always had the feeling it was so hot that it made my digestion process stop!Too hot!
Rooms were very clean. And the sheets smelled nice.
We were on the second floor and there is a balcony there at the end of the corridor that deserves being checked out. It has an amazing view and you can take beautiful pics from there.
Service wise is very bittersweet. Martina and Lediona were very good. Nice english and very pleasant.They are the sweet part!Bitter without a doubt the lady service breakfast!Dear Good!No manners at all.No gloves were used touching the food, i saw her cleaning her nose, not washing the hands before touching the food.She ate while on duty, in front of the guest, didnt speak or tried to speak a word of english. Once the two ladies were chatting while food was lacking on display and seemed to get upset when we asked them for milk or cheese because they had to interrupt the chat!They are not prepared to deal with tourists at all.
And breakfast by the way is very, very basic. Oh and they get to chose where you sit not you. So they dont have to set tables only because of you!
In my opinion this is easily avoidable if they hire trained people.
Check out is at 11am and you can leave luggage there.
If you'll only use the room for sleeping, if you are not fussy, and you get a really cheap rate, book it!Otherwise forget about it. If you can pay a little bit more Venice is the place to stay on a goos hotel has there are plenty of them there and quite affordable.

Room Tip: The difference between the standard and the deluxe is minimal: room size is the same bathroom has a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I was staying in this hotel from 16 to19 of January 2013. I was happy to be there. Hotel locates in the small street near St Marco square. The place could not be better. My room was too small but very nice, beautiful and warm. The breakfast was good. I had everything I need. I had no problem with Wi Fi. Thanks to very kind, helpful and professional staff. I'd like to mention especially the staff at the reception Martina, Lediona and Artur. Thank you very much! I'll dream to visit this place again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank nataliab409
Reviewed 27 January 2013

originally was staying at the boulevard on the lido which was quite acceptable but was asked if we'd mind moving to the ateneo for our last night. thinking of the improved location we readily accepted. finding the bloody place firstly was impossible, even the police didnt know where it was. anyway, we found it eventually and the receptionist was great.the room was shocking, very small, dimly lit and a bit grubby. our room 102 was passed by noisily by everyone. breakfast was hilarious, two women cooking croisants and coughing and sneezing over everything. loved venice, gotta earn more money 4 better hotel next time. very very expensive, greedy italians, give me london any day....

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank graham m
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

While the hot water was non- existent and the tv was intermittent, the breakfast was decent and plentiful (for Venice), and the service was helpful and with a friendly smile. My single room was small, but with a great price and by Venetian standards it was sufficient. A great quiet location and a good value in Venice.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We originally booked into the partner hotel (San Moise'), but were relocated upon arrival to this hotel (Ateneo) on the day of arrival, such a shame as San Moise' was simply a much better location. We were not informed of this whatsoever prior to checking booking in, but were advised that maintenance commenced night before our arrival....The first room we were allocated was very small and extremely poorly lit (you certainly would find it difficult to read in there) However we were given an "upgrade" to Superrior room, BUT was actually no better really (bar a shower cubicle instead of a shower curtain. Food was typical (sliced ham, sliced cheese, croissants, bread rolls, cereals, coffee, juice. We requested breakfast in our room, but they got the order wrong every day. Also no hot water for two of the three mornings. Unfortunately I got some bites on my hands and arms, which became rather sore. Ironic as looking at previous reviews; I'm not the only one to get bites from the room. (Owner/Staff please note) Overall though, price taken into consideration, it actually wasn't that bad. Comfortable bed, friendly staff and good location. Would I book into that Hotel go again? No....

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Venice requires a lot of walking so a good location is important if you're going to see the sights. Ateneo is no more than 12 mins walk (at a casual pace) to : St. Marks square and Basilica, Accademia bridge, nearest water bus, shops. About 15mins to Rialto Bridge. Fenice theatre is around the corner 1 min walk. (make that your focal point when tryin to find the hotel). If you've travelled europe and stayed in a native hotel at affordable prices then you will realise there is nothing special to these types of hotel. It was what I expected, and well prepared for the things that I wouldn't normally accept. If i wanted better service, quality, cleaniness, food then I'd pay for a 5star hotel...but cant afford it. Apart from the excellent location, there's nothing else excellent about the hotel or service. Hotel is small..rooms not very spacious. I stayed in a large room and the bed and wardrobe takes up most of the floor space. There's no shelves. Room was warm. There is AC but didnt use as the room was fine.The breakfast lounge is small and arkward, if there's no available tables you have to wait. Its a basic european breakfast. Ham, cheese and sweet breads. Cereals and tea, coffee and jucies... If you like your sleep ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor and away from the stairway...its very noisey and the sound echos. For the last night I was asked to move from 205 due to some maintaince, so I agreed. I was then given room 101..the first room next to the stairway. However the next morning at breakfast I noticed the couple who I thought were checking out from room 101with there cases were still here. So my conclusion is that they complained and reception agreed to make an excuse to make me vacate my room. However i don't blame them the noise is very loud on the first floor. The last day rained all day and my flight was at 9pm. So I came back to the hotel at lunchtime and sat there for 4 hrs reading my book. But not once did reception made conversation with me or offer a tea or coffee. maybe cos I had already checked out? Hotel ok, if you're stayin a few nights and lookin for a cheap break. For the amount I paid i wasnt expecting anything amazing. however the change of room was a major disappointment and wasnt offered anything for my inconvenice. Didn't want a refund..but maybe free wi-fi for the remaining stay or a meal vouchure for a restaurant. I'd recommend this hotel for location but not for quality or service or romance and I think most 3 star hotels will be the same as there are lots of hotels everywhere amoungst the shops and back streets. But If you want better this is not the hotel. I wouldnt come back to this hotel. But now i've seen Venice if I was to come back i'd probably save and go for better quality.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors away from the stairway. But there is no lift and female reception wont offer he...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We landed in the mid night and to our horror had to carry all the luggage through bridges and cornors for a long time to locate the hotel. In despair called up the hotel and they send someone to pickup. The worst was waiting when we landed in the hotel and realised that need to carry all the luggage through the stairs to the 3rd floor. Most interesting the room started and ended at the door. There was no room for moving around and it was stinking. The breakfast was something which we could not eat at all as there was only bread and butter. A terrible place to stay on a holiday paying 200 euro per day

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family