Hotel Hesperia
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
1,055 results
All reviewscannaregio canaltrain stationcanal viewguglie stopno liftprivate bathroomjewish ghettorecommend this hotelgrand canalcroissantsfriendly hotelsmall hotelwater busquiet locationhamroof terracelovely little hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a B&B and location wise its great as its near the train station. You just need to be able to find it - and as is all places in Venice, finding it can be a challenge if you don't have a map on your smartphone. (Don't use address in Venice - even Venitian find it difficult if you simply ask them about a place by giving them an address). Have a map!

The hotel gave us a corner room which is huge by european standards. Overall its liveable but don't expect 4 star and above living amenities. Everything including the toilet is just basic.

But with all B&B, the breakfast are rather personal and having breakfast in a small corner of the hotel can be rather dainty experience.

Overall it ain't bad, because for me, the price of staying there is truly a value on its own.

Room Tip: Just along the canal of the hotel lies a delicious seafood restaurant. Its near the bridge. You cannot miss it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We spent three nights at the Hotel Hesperia in Venice. It was a very convenient location and the hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. We travelled from the Marco Polo airport by bus and then walked from the bus station to the Hesperia - about fifteen minutes . The rooms we had were on the second floor , a bit dated but clean. Bathrooms were adequate but rather small. Breakfast was served downstairs and tables were very close to each other. Room rates for Venice were very reasonable and I have to say that we would be very happy to stay here again. There were plenty of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance . A good find which made exploring Venice a pleasant experience.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nico386
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Everyone here (our stay ends tomorrow) has been very friendly & helpful, and the room very much OK at the price (it IS Venice). Breakfast includes müsli, fresh fruit and espresso coffee, which suits us down to the ground.
But oh...what a hopeless wifi set-up: expensive; hard to log in; harder still to log out of; complicated to understand in the first place. And I don't suppose that the hotel is making money on the arrangement, which is most probably to expensive to administer as well.

So, get rid of that offer free wifi - even with a modest increase in the room rate. Then it'll be a great place to stay.

As far as I can gather

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to the canal give atmosphere with a modest extra cost.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for part of our honey moon and we loved it. The BEST part of this hotel is how close it is to the train station. Never being to Venice before I soon learned that the streets are atrocious to navigate and the fact that we were less than a 5 minute walk to our hotel made this place a dream. Our room had a view of the canal and we would watch the boats floating by which was so cool. The staff was very friendly and spoke very good english. Breakfast was nice and a perfect start to the day. The rooms were very clean and as described. My only complaint was that the interior of the hotel smelled like sewer smell. Not sure why it smelled and the rooms didn't smell like it at all? Given all the positives this place was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Ask for the canal view because it made the stay much more romantic!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michael z
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I booked the Hesperia after narrowing my search for a Venice hotel using TripAdvisor and friends recommendations. As a solo traveller who had never before been to Venice I wanted a hotel that was reasonably easy to find on arrival, near to vaporetto stops and was rated fairly highly.
The Hesperia met these criteria and the customer service and help on offer was really very helpful and friendly too.

Because I figured most Venice water transport would stop at the train station (Ferrovia stop) the hotel seemed a good bet as their website gave what seemed to be easy, on-foot directions to the hotel from the station.
As it happened, I picked up the Aliliguna public ferry from Marco Polo airport and choose the Arrancia (Orange line). The ferry (more like a covered pleasure craft on the Broads!) set off across the lagoon to Venice and approached the city along the Guglie canal - which is where the Hesperia is! I saw the hotel as I floated by on the ferry so hopped off at the next stop - the Guglie vaporetto stop. Down the canal a bit further, over the Guglie bridge(pretty and busy) back up the canal and there is the Hesperia.

The current cost of the public Aliliguna ferry is 15 euros one- way into Venice. I bought this ticket and a three-day vaporetto pass in the airport at a ticket kiosk. The three-day water bus pass was 35 euros. You do need to be clear that you want the Aliliguna water ferry ticket - the assistant really tried to sell me a bus ticket. This would take me to Piazzale Roma - the bus/ taxi station in Venice...she seemed surprised that I wanted to go by water! I really wanted to arrive by water! This was sorted out easily though.

Having not been to Venice before I don't really know how the Hesperia compares to other similarly-priced hotels. It looks traditional and my room - 105 - has a side canal view, marble floor, a large original painting and some traditional, perhaps, glass light fittings. The bathroom was snug but spotlessly clean and all the furnishings and fittings in the room are in good order and spotless. There was good supply of towels and toiletries.

There is no lift and I don't know if there are any accessible rooms. There is a small confectionery/ newsagent type shop and a grocery store next to the hotel - both really handy. There are so many nearby restaurants and bars near the hotel - and indeed all over Venice - not to mention the gelato shops that it is impossible to be hungry or thirsty or in need or ice cream ever! Try amaretto and hazelnut gelato together...perfect. And an Aperol Prosecco with a snack at lunchtime in a bar. If you stand up to eat and drink it's cheaper - I preferred to sit and admire the views of Venice and do lots of people watching!

The hotel receptionists were both so helpful and friendly - they provided an excellent local map although it was soon clear to me that Venice is fairly small and very walkable. Despite the maze-like quality of the different areas of the city, I didn't stay lost for long ( and I can get lost in my home town) because you inevitably find your way back to a canal or street that is easily findable on a good map.

Breakfast is served between 7.30 and 9.45 am. There was lots of choice and lots in terms of volume....cereals, juice, fresh fruits, yogurts, ham, meats, cheese, bread, rolls, soft cheeses and eggs. Plus some assorted cakes, and as much tea, chocolate or coffee as you want and every morning an apricot-filled croissant! The hotel was full for the week I was there - only one other British couple - otherwise Dutch, French, Chinese and Australian visitors which was fab.

The hotel is just a few minutes walk and over the Guglie bridge from the Guglie vaporetto stop. This stop will take you direct to Murano and the islands, St Marks, the Lido and the airport and for me was the best possible location I could have hoped for. It is also only a 10 minute amble from the train station (Ferrovia) with no bridges to cross - handy if you had a lot of luggage or came in to Venice at the station or by road bus to Piazzale Roma.

I really enjoyed my stay - at the hotel Hesperia and in Venice. Both are highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room 105 has a side canal view so you can hear and see all the activity on the Guglie canal. With the tall windows and shutters closed it is very quiet though.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo