“rude receptionist and terrible service/room”

Universo Nord Hotel
Ranked #261 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My stay in Venice was by far the worst in my trip. When we arrived they showed me a very small room with a tiny bed and 1 pillow (I booked it for two people). Then I came back and said to the guy in reception that this is not the room I booked after couple of minutes of argument insisting that all the rooms are the same, he sent someone to show me another room, as soon I saw the other room I realised it was much bigger bed and the receptionist just wanted to rip me off with selling me the smaller room. In the last day I desperately needed to call someone and I asked the guy in reception to help me (another guy), he pointed to the phone in the corner and said dial your number without saying that I should dial 0 (or another number) for free line. I tried different things and after 5 min he looked at me like I am a fool and said why don't you dial 0?
The staff were so rude even the guy who showed us the room was so impolite and arrogant (I guess typical Venetian). They have different rooms but I don't think the other ones are much better, the bathroom and shower was ok and it has a little fridge. The only good thing is being close to the station but if will not go to this place again because the staff are not welcoming at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 March 2014

If you are on a budget this hotel is very good value. Twin room with en-suite and breakfast for around 70 euros per night. The location is brilliant, very close to train and bus station.
Very clean room, towels and linen changed daily.
Nice continental breakfast.
Friendly, helpful staff.
Wi-fi worked fine in our second floor room.
Corridors could do with an upgrade but you only walk through them!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel is really good, it may be small but it is really comfortable and clean. There is no carpets in your rooms so there will be not much dust. The staff is also very friendly and there are lots of restaurants near it. it is also close to the ferry jetty to San Marco, and also close to the train station.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights. My room was very small but please remember, we are in the centre of Venice. Perfect location. Breakfast very, very good. Staff friendly. WIFI ok. I recommend you this hotel if you don`t need any luxury.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Hotel,s biggest plus point is its Location just walking disctance from Train station.Though the rooms are little noisy but its great value for money with a sumtous breakfast and nice staff.
Cleanliness and wifi connection can be improved littlebit to make it a perfect holiday stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We loved our time in this hotel. The reception staff were most helpful, informative and quite humorous! WIFI was great, though we needed to sit in the lobby to get reception. The location is FANTASTIC... walking distance from the train station. We looked out of our window onto the stalls/shops below and LOVED all the activity! Beds were comfortable, but basic. Everything was clean., but well-loved (worn carpets on stairs). Food was simple but good: gluten-free options were a challenge in most Italian hotels (lots of sweet cakes) but this hotel wasn't too bad (boiled eggs, yoghurt and fruit were available for breakfast). Fantastic pizza and gelato just below the hotel... you can walk all over Venice from this hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We loved our 2nd floor room with a view over the street. Dated decor/bedding but who cares, with thi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The location is the best from my POV - very near SL train station, so very convenient for coming by train. There is no elevator, but the porter brought my suitcase up. The room was not big, but cosy enough, 2 windows, a small refrigerator, a good bathroom. Not a lot of electricity sockets, but enough for a laptop. The breakfast was good enough to not feel hunger for a half of a day - hot drinks, juices, bread rolls, butter, jams, honey, cereals, milk, yogurts, cheese and 2 kinds of sausage (not the best, but OK), croissants and so on.
The staff was nice and helpful.

Room Tip: My room N48 was on the top floor and quiet, but it is only reachable by stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo