“adequate - older hotel”

Hotel Continental Venice
Ranked #165 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Located at end of the Grande Canal a short walk from the train station. Like everything in Venice, the building was quite old with disjointed hallways reflecting the conversion of the building to a hotel. The space in the room was adequate but the bathroom was tight with a cruise ship size shower stall and an hair dryer which reminded of the one we owned when I was a child in the 1960s. The pillows were hard and there weren't any extras. My daughter and I stayed there one night as part of a tour group and where we all had dinner together as a group. The restaurant setting is romantic at night and the food was tasty.
Pros - clean, staff friendly and helpful. Cons - hotel needs some updating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 June 2013

BEWARE! I booked and prepaid for my room for a may 21, 2013 arrival, four months in advance. When I fanally arrived(those who have been to Venice understand), I was old that there were no rooms available. I arrived at 1:00pm, well within the prescribed time for arrivals. The staff was unapologitic and told me they could book me into a different hotel. Long story short, that was the best mishap of my vacation. The other hotel was far better and the staff far more attentive. I would think that it would be illegal to sell a presold room, but unaware of the rules and laws I was left to grin and bare it. Later that day, I naticed, several times, the same bell man that took our bags to the other hotel, escorting other "guests" to their new hotels, in a far worse area, apparently this is a scam thay use quite a bit. If there were a lowere score and legal action that could be brought I would avail myself to both. Good Luck if you book here, it is a game of hotel roulette, luckily we won, but I saw many that didn't

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martini14810
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The hotel is a convenient distance from the train station and we were surprised that the room and personal amenities were a reasonable size, although a non mocking room there was always a scent of tobacco in and around the room so it would seem not all the rooms around ours were smoke free!
Breakfast was disappointing especially the second morning when there were a lot of tour groups and the tables were reserved. There were no available tables until requested by us and anther couple and arrangements were changed to accommodate us, but it should not have been a problem. First in for breakfast should be first served!
Disappointed at checkout when the 2 staff couldn't acknowledge us immediately but continued a conversation and after paying the city gas, we revived a perfunctory dismissal. Disappointing!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Close to the train station and on the main walking street. Massaging shower (extreme water pressure) nice restaurant with canal side dining and live music. Breakfast inclusive but not what I would call impressive. Hotel staff werent too helpful (other than porter and kitchen ladies) and some were even rude!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 May 2013

First the good point. The room is basic but comfortable and unlike other hotels provides rests for 2 suitcases, but for over $400 a night there should be some good points even in Venice. The location is close to the train station but a good walk to St Marco and the other popular sights. Now the down sides. There is free wifi but only works in the lobby and they only provide one access code for 1 device at a time. The catering is below standard - the breakfast is ordinary even by Italian standards. The one dinner we had the carrots and beans were so over cooked to be barely recognisable and just warm also. The service was efficient but not friendly which added to the Venice stereotype of wanting your money in big sums but you are a nuisance. In short expensive but there are obvious cost cutting everywhere. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Regrettably, I made this hotel reservation for my Mother's solo trip to Venice. The staff was incredibly rude to her, especially when asking for the WiFi number. The single room was very cramped with a small, hard single bed. Though the room had been apparently cleaned, the furniture and bed headboard was coated with years of old filth. I uploaded photos so you could see the filth on the bed. There was no mattress cover and the towels were so old and thin you could see through them. The shower was so small that my Mother had to open the shower door while showering so she could turn around. At 5'1" she is not a large woman.
When she complained to the hotel staff, they said they could bring in another mattress for her that might be softer. Unfortunately this would not have solved all of the other problems.
When she made the complaint to Olotels, the hotel switched her to another single room that was minimally better. The only nice thing about the hotel was having breakfast at the cafe on the water. I'm not certain why there are so many different conflicting reports on this hotel. Possibly their rooms vary that much or are the single rooms the ones that are so awful? My Mother spoke with some other couples at the hotel and they said their rooms were just OK. The great location of the hotel did not make up for the hotel room, I am sorry to say. Also, although they said they had AC, you could not turn it on until June and the Wifi connection was absolutely awful. She had to sit in the lobby to get any kind of signal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I stayed here for two nights and, after reading the poor reviews for this hotel, was surprised to find that the room was better than I had expected. It was clean and spacious and the bathroom was clean as well. No complaints in that sense. The location could not have been more perfect as the train station was just a few minutes walk away and it is close to the boat shuttle docks as well. The rest of the hotel was just as disappointing as I had anticipated though. The concierge were rude and on more than one occasion left us standing there waiting as they finished up phone conversations without even acknowledging us. We called down to ask how much it cost to make a phone call and the man at the desk replied with 'it depends on our system...' We later found out that our short phone call cost us almost 20 euros. The breakfast was beyond disappointing with stale croissants, watered down orange juice and very little variety. Had to ask multiple times to get a cappuccino as the waiter seemed to keep forgetting. Would ONLY recommend this hotel based on its location and decent rooms but otherwise, this hotel is very disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business