“Hotel OK but location is not where I want to be.”

Hotel Continental Venice
Ranked #163 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked a six night stay in Venice with Go Ahead Tours which I have done before but this is the first time their Venice city stay used this hotel. I was given a small dark room that looked out on a dark service cul de sac shared with another hotel. The sort of room that may have been used to house servants of guests at the hotel when the hotel was built. The room and the bed were for one person. I should have changed because besides the inhospitality of the room the air conditioner didn't work. But I didn't feel like dealing with more packing and unpacking. After my trip I thought maybe I could get my single supplement back but was told that hotels charge tour companies a single supplement on single rooms to make up for the money they lose on singles staying in double rooms. Something I didn't know. I should have asked for a room change. I wonder if I would have been charged a single supplement if I had booked the room and not the tour company. There isn't really anything wrong with this hotel. I just don't care for the location. It is very near the train station and several vaporetti stops. I suspect because it is near the train station and there are no taxis in Venice so everyone must lug their luggage a Tourist Town has sprung up along the Lista di Spagna consisting of nothing but tourist hotels, tourist restaurants and tourist souvenir shops selling real and fake Murano glass and masks. There really isn't much reason to be here. These hotels have groups of people on short stays in Venice coming in and out all with their luggage all day. There isn't much else to see. The Church of San Giobbe isn't too far off nor is the Ghetto with it's wonderful square but a bit far to talk to at night. The Churches of San Alvise and Madonna Dell Orto are further off and are in a very interesting part of the district of Cannaregio. At night there really isn't any place of interest to walk to. Also because of the location I took vaporetti more than I usually do because of the heat. Once you've taken vaporetti a few times the novelty wears off. They can be very crowded and at every stop there is a crush of people most with suitcases waiting to get on and off. It can be very unpleasant. I recommend staying in another area.

Room Tip: If you are single and have paid a single supplement and are put in a single room ask for a change to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank johndt41
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This hotel is in one of the best locations, in my opinion, in Venice. Very close to the train station and backing onto the grand canal. IT is a former palace, and as such is not laid out like a typical hotel. Add to that, the numbering of the rooms seems to have been done as a cruel joke to the guests. It is a giant maze, with lower number floors above higher numbered floors, a very strange layout. Its not super clean, but it isn't exactly dirty either I would say. It has character, which for some will not be appreciated, but for others it will be an extra bonus while staying in Venice. If you are lucky enough to get a canal view room, as we were, you may find yourself staying up late watching the canal traffic when you should be sleeping. It's such a beautiful view that it absolutely outweighs any possible negatives about the hotel. I loved this hotel, and I would say that more than any hotel in any other city we stayed in during our tour of Italy, the continental enhanced our time Venice and gave us an extra layer of local flavour. Also, check out the Soft bread bakery right next store, great canoli!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sdothbc
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Venice a couple of weeks ago and chose this hotel based on their website and reviews we had seen. We were lucky enough to get a private water taxi to the hotel from Marco Polo airport which took us straight to their door, although my first impression wasn't a particularly good one. This changed when we entered the hotel as it was laid out beautifully, with marble flooring and very helpful staff, especially the man on the desk. He was very friendly and gave us directions on how to get to certain places and where we could book trips from. The porter was also brilliant, bringing our case up for us moments after we arrived. The room we had wasn't great. The decor needed a lot of updating and the air con was incredibly loud at night, especially when the fridge turned on and started making a loud humming noise too. The bathroom was a good size although the hairdryer was incredibly old and, for me, was positioned on the wrong side of the wall making it difficult to dry my hair properly. I would also have liked a full length mirror and a few more plug sockets, as we only had one. The breakfast was great, and with the choice of sitting outside next to the canal it was perfect for a memory of Venice. As mentioned before, the pigeons were a bit of a nightmare but the waiters weren't afraid to shoo them away! My main issue was how far away it was from St Mark's Square, as this is where we went most days to go on trips to the islands etc. The best thing about the hotel has to be the staff and the location to the railway station, but I didn't find it one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My partner and I decided to take a trip to Venice (first timers to Venice). Like many we took a lot of time into researching for the best hotel that offered value for price, location, a great service and lovely room. I would like to say when reading other reviews, a number of people have left negative points on areas that the hotel itself could not help such a pigeons on the canal during breakfast or outdated decor. The waitresses were very good with attempting to 'shoo' the pigeons as often as possible and as for the decor it was very traditional Venetian which is what we were personally looking for - a break away from the typical modern everyday style.

Hotel Continental offered us everything we could have needed for our holiday. We took a water bus from Marco Polo airport which dropped us at the closest stop to our hotel. After speaking with a very helpful local who directed us we found that we were only 5 minutes from our hotel. On walking to our hotel we actually walked past it hoping our hotel looked something similar to find out that it was in fact our hotel.

Visually Hotel Continental was beautiful from the outside with a grand lobby. Our check in was quick and easy and we had help from the porter with our luggage to our room. The room was suitable for what we needed - which was somewhere peaceful to sleep with enough room for us to get ready as we were out most days and was well air conditioned - was also cleaned daily.

Breakfast was a continental breakfast (as expected) which was what we needed to start our day. You had the option of eating inside or outside on the canal which was very nice. The hotel also offered complimentary wifi which you had to request a code for.

During the stay we requested extra pillows and a blanket which was brought up to us efficiently. The hotel receptionists were helpful in giving up directions to areas that we were trying to find and informed us of where to get the local water bus to take a trip to Lido Beach.

The hotel is also very close to the train station.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Let me start by saying that my review is bound to be biased as we had a canal view room...and what a view it was !!!!
Location of the hotel is great. 2-3 mins walk from the Venice St Lucia railway station and Ferrovia Veporatti Terminal. It means that you have access to any part of the city by public transport.
The hotel doesn't look like a four star. Though the room we had was absolutely Awesome. The moment we open the windows it was Grand canal!!!
otherwise also, the triple room was quite big...so was the bathroom.
The staffs were good, unlike many previous comments they were definitely not rude.
If I come back to venice, i wud definitely stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was okay. Not the largest or most luxurious but the view of the grand canal out our window was beautiful!!!
Breakfast was fine, edible but not amazing.
We're trying to book again for our anniversary this year but the only problem is that they are so slow to reply to our emaills!!!
If it wasn't for the view, location and price we'd be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Spent July 7 through the 13th 2013 at the continental. The first 3 days was without air conditiong and management refused to give me a new room. As hotel was booked. They also only keep maintenance on staff certain days of the week. My first single room had ants also. My second single room was excellent even had a enclosed shower but, plumbing fixtures and shower heads built for velocity not adjustable. Bathrooms very small but manageable. Breakfast was the same every morning but good. Service excellent, as I sat outside with the pigeons. Cafe Americano is weak bring some caffeine.If like me and need it in the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal are nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends