“English subtitles!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 588 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world famous opera house, burned to the ground in 1996, has been rebuilt amongst much scandal and drama: its modern beauty and complex history ensure its place among the most celebrated monuments in Italian history.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“English subtitles!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I went to see La Boheme with my 20-year old daughter in May. The theater is a spectacular opera house, to rival any in Europe. We studied the libretto in advance and were thrilled to find that there were English subtitles above the stage. Everything about the production was amazing - singers, acoustics, and stage design. I should also point out that the theater is very easy to find, which we were delighted by, since we got lost trying to find anything else. I highly recommend an evening at the Teatro La Fenice.

Visited May 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Beautiful theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Beautiful theatre, we were in a box, 4 seats 50 euros each for the front 2 seats and 10 and 5 Euros for the next seats behind. The view was great . small theatre so we could see the whole 70 piece Philharmonic orchestra. Perfect!

Visited June 2014
Sleepy Hollow, New York
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Opera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Saw a really excellent performance of Boheme, very good singers (that I as an opera fan have never heard of), good orchestra and conducting and imaginative, good production. The downside was that besides having the most expensive opera tickets I ever paid for (over 200 Euros) the Fenice has seats that I could not fit into. The chairs are plush and luxurious but the spacing (main floor) is such that I, a normal 6 ft. 2 inch male,had to put my legs in front of the neighbor to be able to sit down. To avoid this I went to the side of the auditorium where they had single seats against the wall and I could have room for my legs.
So I rate the performance very good, but the seating good only for those 5 ft. 6 inches or less. I will not be back to the Fenice.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Fredi728
Perth, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Madame Butterfly at La Fenice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

A delightful experience even though I have seen the opera many times all over the world, but still special to hear Puccini's glorious music in this lovely old theatre.

Visited June 2014
Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Old Opera House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were a little reluctant to book a show because we knew we wouldn't understand what was going on but we did book a show and were pleasantly surprised. They put English above the stage, which was easy to read, so you could follow the opera which made it very enjoyable. The old opera house is beautiful.
Make sure you book your tickets directly with the opera house or you will pay a surcharge of about 70 Euros. Try asking your hotel for tickets far in advance and ask if there is a surcharge. The opera house is certainly worth the visit and the money.
Note: make sure you book inside the opera house and not in an outdoor theatre which is cheaper.

Visited October 2013