“Fantastic service”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Description: A fresh tribute to Venetian cuisine, Restaurant Club del Doge welcomes guests in an intimate and elegant setting, which moves outdoors onto its Grand Canal Terrace from April until October. The atmosphere is casual chic by day and a more formal affair in the evenings. At its helm, Executive Chef Daniele Turco will tantalize your senses with epicurean delights that celebrate the best of local seasonal ingredients, from signature risottos to traditional cicchetti and seafood platters.
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I had dinner here during our stay at the gritti palace. I am a fussy eater and I am not a fan of fine dining but the staff did everything they could to accommodate me, and what they did make me was delicious. My partner really enjoyed his meal. Pricey and not the best meal I've had but others in the restaurant looked as though they really appreciated the food, as well as my partner.

Visited November 2013

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Richardson, Texas
“The Staff was gracious and fabulous.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had been exploring Venice, and after reading the reviews, felt called to find the Gritti Palace . We arrived and asked if it was possible to have lunch. They were kind and gave us the best seat on the terrace (I'll explain "best" in a minute). I was parched and asked for still water before I could even entertain looking at the menu. I quickly went thru the water and the waiter was quick to notice and come to my aid. It is not always possible to get un sweet ice tea with lots of ice but when I asked the waiter, he said that he would make me some. Well he brought me a glass and then to my amazement an entire crystal pitcher of ice tea with lots of ice. He won my heart then and there. In the mean time my husband had ventured and asked if they could plug in his phone. They took it to the bar for a charge. My husband ordered a Jack and Diet Coke and then we ordered. We were enjoying our food and of course the fabulous view. We were lucky to be seated on the Grand Canal as well as a side canal. Then it happened, a lovely lady came by in her boat, she smiled and waived to me and my husband got so excited and was speechless at the same time. It was Sophia Loren! We don't know how the Gritti did it, but they offer a truly 5 Star experience. (The waiter said that the side canal was the one to La Fenice - maybe that is where she had been) Best Service Award goes to the Gritti!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank fromtex
Los Angeles, California
“Not worth it- go the bar and skip dinner”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We had been told that Club del Doge was absurdly expensive but worth it for the view. Unfortunately it was too chilly to be seated outside so we had to sit inside. My boyfriend asked for a seat near the window so we could at least see the canal. While there were open tables, we were seated in the back room, with no view. I had hoped the food would make up for it, but it was one of our most mediocre meals. On top of the overpriced okay food, they charged a 14 euro cover for each of us. While covers are common in Italy, that is more than anywhere else we saw and we ate in excellent high end places throughout the country. My boyfriend had planned to propose that night but the whole experience left such a bad taste in his mouth he waited until later in the trip. The only plus side was after the meal we went to the bar where we were able to sit outside. There we experienced great service and excellent drinks with no cover (plus heat lamps). I would recommend the bar to anyone and tell them to skip the restaurant.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ErinR1138
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at Club del Doge Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly respect your comments and value them very much. Thank you for having posted your impressions.

From your statement, we do understand that your choice was determined by the view, which was to you the main attraction of our Club del Doge Restaurant.

Most unfortunately, the October temperatures at evening - approximately 12 Celsius degrees - do not allow us to serve dinner in the open air despite the presence of the heating lamps, both since our Guests would most probably become ill the day after (or have digestive problems the same evening!) as well as because the food would become immediately cold when serving it.

On the other hand, and if the temperature is not an issue to our Guests, the bar terrace is open also in winter time; this is due to the fact that sipping a drink doesn’t take so long as eating a full meal.

According to our usual standard of service and with the awareness that it is our delight to satisfy our Guests by fulfilling their desire, I can only imagine that you were not seated at one of the few tables with a view due to pre-existing reservations of those specific tables.

I do sincerely regret to read that your experience at our restaurant did not live up to your expectations and moreover that your dissatisfaction was increased by the fact that the food was not of your liking.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to revise the feeling you reported into a better one, in occasion of your next visit to Venice. We look forward to it.

Sincerely yours,

Paolo Lorenzoni
Palm Beach, Florida
“dinner inside.....gorgeous”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Serious restaurant in a seriously beautiful room. We were a group of 8 hotel guests and very much enjoyed dinner inside. One question, why a 14 euro cover charge/person?

• Visited October 2013
Arcadia, California
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was to be the grand dining experience of our trip to Italy and Venice in particular. The setting is glorious though we were not happy to be seated in the back tier of tables rather than closer to the canal. That was the start of a downhill experience. The food choices were not to our liking: liver, pasta with duck ragu, eel. And though the service was attentive the waiters seemed put upon to wait on us. We booked with Cellar Tours and perhaps that is why our menu choices were so inferior. Still the food should have at least been delicious, but alas it was sub-standard. We had better pasta at a little osteria called La Feluca.

• Visited September 2013