“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Description: A fresh tribute to Venetian cuisine, Restaurant Club del Doge welcomes guests in an intimate and elegant setting, which moves outdoors onto its Grand Canal Terrace from April until October. The atmosphere is casual chic by day and a more formal affair in the evenings. At its helm, Executive Chef Daniele Turco will tantalize your senses with epicurean delights that celebrate the best of local seasonal ingredients, from signature risottos to traditional cicchetti and seafood platters.
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Great hotel, sumptuous dining room, attentive service, good wine list - but extremely average food. Euro 350 for dinner for two for quality of food that you would find at the average Venetian trattoria. If you work in finance or the law, you'll find the dining room full of the kind of people you see at work, and their kids, which may or may not be a good thing.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Spinoccio
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at Club del Doge Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly respect your comments and we are happy to read that you appreciated the ambience and atmosphere of The Gritti Palace and its Club del Doge restaurant.

On the other hand, we do regret to read that the food was not of your liking, despite our use of prime quality products.

We strive to serve the best of the local, Italian and Mediterranean cuisine and we are sorry having disappointed your expectations.

We would be honored to have another opportunity to serve you at our best once again in the future.

Best regards,

Paolo Lorenzoni

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
“Unique”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I came to the Club del Doge for the 44th birthday of my partner Nina. I was looking for something very special and it was. Fabulous cosy atmosphere, tasteful decorated restaurant. Extremely professional and friendly service and great food. An evening to remember for life

• Visited December 2013
Norwich, UK
“Attentive service, shame about the food”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The maitre d' here could not have been more attentive, in fact the front of house staff were all very good and friendly. They rustled up a gluten free bread basket for my husband as whoever took the details from my booking forgot to pass that on. However the plush surroundings and great staff were let down by very average food served on a cold plate. My lobster and porcini on mash was bland to start and the Venetian liver and onions was good but not wow. We eat in a lot of Michelin starred restaurants and this didn't cut it for us. Sorry it was supposed to be a special meal and it just wasn't memorable.

• Visited December 2013
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I had dinner here during our stay at the gritti palace. I am a fussy eater and I am not a fan of fine dining but the staff did everything they could to accommodate me, and what they did make me was delicious. My partner really enjoyed his meal. Pricey and not the best meal I've had but others in the restaurant looked as though they really appreciated the food, as well as my partner.

Visited November 2013
Richardson, Texas
“The Staff was gracious and fabulous.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had been exploring Venice, and after reading the reviews, felt called to find the Gritti Palace . We arrived and asked if it was possible to have lunch. They were kind and gave us the best seat on the terrace (I'll explain "best" in a minute). I was parched and asked for still water before I could even entertain looking at the menu. I quickly went thru the water and the waiter was quick to notice and come to my aid. It is not always possible to get un sweet ice tea with lots of ice but when I asked the waiter, he said that he would make me some. Well he brought me a glass and then to my amazement an entire crystal pitcher of ice tea with lots of ice. He won my heart then and there. In the mean time my husband had ventured and asked if they could plug in his phone. They took it to the bar for a charge. My husband ordered a Jack and Diet Coke and then we ordered. We were enjoying our food and of course the fabulous view. We were lucky to be seated on the Grand Canal as well as a side canal. Then it happened, a lovely lady came by in her boat, she smiled and waived to me and my husband got so excited and was speechless at the same time. It was Sophia Loren! We don't know how the Gritti did it, but they offer a truly 5 Star experience. (The waiter said that the side canal was the one to La Fenice - maybe that is where she had been) Best Service Award goes to the Gritti!

• Visited October 2013