“Our worst dinner in Venice”

Ristorante Biennale
Ranked #1,025 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Castello
Antwerp, Belgium
“Our worst dinner in Venice”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed in a B&B in the neighbourhood. We've passed a couple of times by this restaurant and by the looks of it, it seemed a simple but normal restaurant. Although there are restaurants in this street that have no "Servizio" or "Cover"-costs, this one has a 12%-service cost. This, together with the prices of the food, seemed ok, so we decided to give it a try.

First of all my girlfriend wanted to sit at a table close to the facade. However, the waiter ignored this request and placed us at a different table (while there was plenty of room to sit). I found this a bit rude, but hey, let's not be so negative.
Secondly, I ordered a pizza (9 euros) and my girlfriend calamares together with a salad, because the menu wasn't really clear about what was included with "Calamares" (11 euros + 5 euros). For drinks I ordered a Coke and my girlfriend a bottle of water, because they don't give single glasses of water.

Our drinks and food dishes arrived very quickly, but for some reason these could not be delivered with a smile. Once in front of our noses, we were very disappointed.
The calamares weren't nicely orange and weren't crispy at all. They were soaked in oil. The calamares didn't have any sauce and just a slight portion of salad, so my girflriend had made a great decision to order a side dish. However, this salad seemed to be a cheap salad one can buy in the supermarket.
The pizza didn't have a crust, which I found odd, and there was merely meat on my pizza, while the menu said this was a pizza with salami and different sausages.

We decided not to let this ruin our night and enjoy the dinner. FYI, but you would have probably guessed, the food wasn't tasty at all. Moreover, there were three waiters (two macho guys and one masculin female with a look every man should be afraid of) and these were just constantly watching us eating our dinner from like a meter distance. We felt like prisoners looked down on by guards.

I've finished my pizza earlier than my girlfriend finished her dishes. Normally one leaves the empty plates on the table until the second person has finished her dinner. This wasn't the case here. As soon as they've seen me finish my dinner, a waiter traveled his one meter distance and asked me "Finito?". Of course I've said yes, and the waiter instantly cleared my side of the table and walked away with a very big grin on his face.

This pissed me off. Luckily my girlfriend made me relax. As soon as she'd finished her dinner, we drank the bottle of water and asked for the check.

Instead of preparing the check, they dared to ignore this request for almost ten minutes. As good costumers we paid the check, along with the "Servizio". But honestly, we really shouldn't have payed the "Servizio", because the day after we saw an Italian leaving another restaurant with a waiter shouting after him "Excuse me, no "servizio"!?". The wise Italian answered: "There was no service".

Short opinion: the food was terrible and the service was completely rubbish. Don't go there, unless you want to be treated terribly.

BTW: next to us was sitting a girl, who didn't express her opinion verbally, but I could see it on her face she didn't like this restaurant and the treatment either.

• Visited June 2014

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Tracy, California
“Great food at a reasonable price with a nice local atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had a lovely meal here in the far reaches of the Catello sestiere. We sat at an outside table around 7:30PM, where we could take in the local flavor of adults standing and chatting outside a bar across the via, while their children played street football and jumping rope nearby. I had a spaghetti with clams that was the best I've had, and my wife had a very tasty pizza. Total cost for the meal was around 25 euro, so not unreasonably priced. It is a bit of a walk, but was just what we needed. Afterward, we found a local bakery that had some absolutely delicious pastries a few doors down the via from the restaurant, and it was all locals shopping there. In fact, there were almost no other tourists around this area, which was nice also.

• Visited May 2014
Melbourne
“Good for a casual bite”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The food here was very simple, nothing fancy- but we enjoyed it. We both had pizzas and shared a caprese salad.
Great spot for people watching if sitting outside and the waiters were both wonderful- friendly and available when needed.
Reasonably priced.

• Visited April 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Tourist trap: to be avoided”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I had grilled vegetables, whcih were among the most tasteless i ever had, did not know this was possible. The bruschetta was mediocre, to put it mildly. Waitress was mostly invisible. Try any other restuarant around here but not this one.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank BarbaraGenevaCH
Perth, Australia
“Good except the pizza”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went to this restaurant twice over three days. The first night we had pizzas, and they were rather tough. One was very tough. The fact that they removed our knives and provided steak knives should have given us warning. A couple of nights later we gave them another go as we were not looking for pizzas that night. We had the €20 menu and the choices were good. The penne arabiatta was excellent and the whole sole with vegetables could not be faulted. The desert choice was a bit limited, so limited that there was only tiramisu .Overall the service was good and friendly though they did leave us rather too long before clearing the fish plates. A good meal and enjoyable night.

• Visited October 2013