We had booked in November having read good reviews. As we approached our arrival date (30th May) the quality of the reviews dropped. We approached the Hotel with trepidation.
This is what we found
1. Reception staff not smiling - All the staff we met started this way but after we chatted a while the smiles appeared.
2. Wireless kept dropping out - The codes on reception are per 'Device' so a laptop and 2 phones = 3 keys. The keys last 10 hours (Not the 20 claimed) if the device stays in range. Leave the hotel and you need a new key on return.
3. Breakfast wasn't resupplied - Every time a tray ran low it was refilled and we didn't run out of anything.
4. Mosquitoes and air con - The aircon was struggling as the temperature rose to high 20's but a Mossie plug in sorted our small friends out.
5. Breakfast on the terrace - We never managed it. At 5 euros a time it was a little over the top.
6. Extra charge for canal facing rooms. - If your not lucky to be allocated one, its worth the upgrade cost to spend mornings watching Venice drift past. We did and haven't regretted our time in room 130. Our original room was of a good size and was also very clean btw.
7. Poor quality bedding. - Our was changed every day. The carpet was vacuumed as well.
The hotel is a little tired, but on that scale so is Venice as a whole. Ferrovia Vaperetto stop is 50 yards away and most lines run through it. The rail station is 150 yards, the main bridge is steps only, so luggage can be a drag.
Don't worry if you are booked here. Relax and enjoy what you find. Then enjoy a fantastic city.
P.S. Be a visitor, not a tourist.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Principe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rodeway Inn Venice
- Principe Hotel Venice
- Grand Hotel Principe
- Hotel Principe Venice