Myself and my partner picked this place for a 4 night get away, the website looked great, and the reviews were pretty good. Check in was an efficient, but not very friendly affair, which rather set the tone for the rest of our stay. All of the staff (with the exception of the waiters and waitresses at breakfast) were the same, nobody greeted you, or even smiled politely if you made eye contact as you passed them in the hall. I'd requested a room with a double bed and a shower when I booked, emailed a week or so before to check, and was assured that my request had been received, but we were given a room with a bath. I politely pointed out that the room wasn't right to the guy who showed us to it, he disappeared without so much as an apology. He came back a moment later with a scowl and a new key and simply said "okay, we switch" and that was that. The new room was a little bigger, with twin beds pushed together, and a tiny very tired looking shower room. The shower screen barely worked and made a horrible noise, and the beds were like rocks, but after the curt response to my last request, I didn't feel I could say anything about it.
The restaurant was very expensive for evening meals, and the drinks were extortionate! €6 for a fresh Orange juice with breakfast!
Right, on to the good bits! The breakfasts were nice, good selection of foods, plentiful coffee, and the staff actually smiled and said good morning when you came in. The rooms are bigger then you would expect in a city hotel, lovely and quiet and it's great to have a free safe in a place like this.
All in all, it wasn't an awful stay, but we wouldn't go back, I suggest the Antiche Figure hotel next door, it's not as "grand" looking as the Carlton, but we popped in for a drink one night as they had a terrace overlooking the canal (and our hotel did not) the guy at reception was so friendly I could have hugged him, the drinks were good value, and we were even given something to nibble (for free!) as we sat and watched the world go by.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegant and welcoming, the Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal has been run with passion for approximately 30 years by a Venetian family which loves to pay its guests attention, by providing them with valuable advise on how to capture the city’s true essence.Pastel shades, Venetian stuccoes, glass wall lamps made in Murano, furnishings which, while being functional, recall the glorious Serenissima epoch: these are the elements of the new hall and bar, completely mirrored on marvellous Istria stone. Right at the centre of the hotel is an original glass cupola creating light effects which highlight its sophistication. The recently restored, characteristic internal patio onto which some of the rooms look out and where guests can enjoy breakfast or relax, using it as a peaceful open-air lounge, has a notable impact on guests. The elegant Bar Carlton Café offers you the chance to taste excellent drinks and whet your appetite with unusual snacks both in the internal room and in the open-air, enjoying an unforgettable stay on the Grand Canal.The hotel also offers its guests outstanding opportunities to discover all of Venice’s magic, by organizing personalised itineraries and excursions: boat tours to the lagoon islands, guided tours of the city, romantic itineraries followes by a candle lit dinner and much more. For further information on “special” packages, check out our online booking now or send your request to our booking centre.For conferences and meetings we can provide the “Galileo” room, fitted with update equipment and capable of holding up to 60 people.Some of the services offered to our guests include: free entry to the Casino, free baggage surveillance, baby-sitting, restaurant booking, theatre and concert tickets.Restaurant “La Cupola”Elegant reflections, inviting aromas, brilliant colours and exclusive tastes: these are the defining features of our restaurant “La Cupola”, a jewel of refined style in newly renovated surroundings, boasting harmony in its menu selections inspired both by innovative cuisine, as well as the genuine traditions of the territory.The distinct, welcoming atmosphere and the fine cuisine will envelop you and capture you, transforming your “mealtime” into an exceptional experience.You will be greeted with warmth and courtesy, and given expert advice on your menu selections.The typical and international specialties are served with refined simplicity, elegant and genuine at the same time, accompanied by an exclusive wine list. Our Maitre, Filippo Nocerino, will be at your disposition for any special requests.Perfect for any occassion or simply for a romantic evening, our restaurant “La Cupola” will live up to your expectations and your appetites!TOP OF THE CARLTON SKY LUNGE & RESTAURANTLet “Time Out” steer you upwards to the finest sky lounge in Venice for enjoying cocktails in the clouds and Grand Canal view dining .Stylish evenings begin and end at TOP OF THE CARLTON, the rooftop terrace perched on the 4th floor of the Carlton on the Grand Canal Hotel. Impressive views from this spacious terrace take in both the ancient majesty of the Grand Canal and its noble palaces and the modern Constitution bridge, the newest structure that pierces the motley Venice skyline full of domes, bell towers, arches and spires.Choose from a multitude of cocktails, snacks and light-dining while you sit and enjoy a romantic sunset or experience the gentle lapping of the Grand Canal waters as a gondola passes by.When it’s time to unwind and relax, choose Top of the Carlton.TOP OF THE CARLTON can be exclusively reserved for private events and functions, such as wedding receptions, birthday parties, corporate events – in fact the sky is the limit.Open from mid May to end of September, weather permitting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Grand Canal Hotel
- Hotel Carlton Grand Canal
- Canal Hotel Venice