We stayed at the Carlton on the Grand Canal in May 2014, we only visited Venice for one night so needed a hotel within reach of the main attractions and the Carlton fulfilled that need.
The hotel is a five minute walk from the bus station which we arrived at via a coach from Marco Polo airport, walking over a couple of bridges with our carry-on luggage was easily managed.
The hotel as well as having a canal front location is within 1/2 hours walk ( through meandering allways and ornate bridges ) to St Marks square.
The hotel's facilities are good, the rooms clean, newly decorated and very adequate. There's no escaping the fact that you're paying for the location rather than 5 star rooms but the hotel is relatively good value.
The rooms had a decent shower over a bath, wardrobes, safe and decent furniture and bedding. The air-con didn't work but that may be because it was only May, opening the windows provided a decent draught but in the summer the air-con would have been necessary.
A buffet breakfast was better than we'd expected, there was plenty of meats, cheeses, breads, juices, etc on offer and even a couple of hot ( or more accurately, warm ) items such as bacon and sausages.
The bar on the roof terrace had an excellant view which was a pleasure to sit out on in the evening sunshine and enjoy a drink or two. The drink prices were very expensive, we paid 8 euros for a small Moretti beer but again, you're paying for the view and location rather than a decent beer!
We'd recommend the hotel for a short stay in Venice as we enjoyed, it's location is good, relatively decently priced and the facilities are good too.
One final, off the track point, we found a camera memory card at the hotel, if anyone lost a memory card around the 1st May at the hotel contact me and let me know of the contents and I'll try to get the picture to you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegant and welcoming, the Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal has been run with passion for approximately 30 years by a Venetian family which loves to pay its guests attention, by providing them with valuable advise on how to capture the city’s true essence.Pastel shades, Venetian stuccoes, glass wall lamps made in Murano, furnishings which, while being functional, recall the glorious Serenissima epoch: these are the elements of the new hall and bar, completely mirrored on marvellous Istria stone. Right at the centre of the hotel is an original glass cupola creating light effects which highlight its sophistication. The recently restored, characteristic internal patio onto which some of the rooms look out and where guests can enjoy breakfast or relax, using it as a peaceful open-air lounge, has a notable impact on guests. The elegant Bar Carlton Café offers you the chance to taste excellent drinks and whet your appetite with unusual snacks both in the internal room and in the open-air, enjoying an unforgettable stay on the Grand Canal.The hotel also offers its guests outstanding opportunities to discover all of Venice’s magic, by organizing personalised itineraries and excursions: boat tours to the lagoon islands, guided tours of the city, romantic itineraries followes by a candle lit dinner and much more. For further information on “special” packages, check out our online booking now or send your request to our booking centre.For conferences and meetings we can provide the “Galileo” room, fitted with update equipment and capable of holding up to 60 people.Some of the services offered to our guests include: free entry to the Casino, free baggage surveillance, baby-sitting, restaurant booking, theatre and concert tickets.Restaurant “La Cupola”Elegant reflections, inviting aromas, brilliant colours and exclusive tastes: these are the defining features of our restaurant “La Cupola”, a jewel of refined style in newly renovated surroundings, boasting harmony in its menu selections inspired both by innovative cuisine, as well as the genuine traditions of the territory.The distinct, welcoming atmosphere and the fine cuisine will envelop you and capture you, transforming your “mealtime” into an exceptional experience.You will be greeted with warmth and courtesy, and given expert advice on your menu selections.The typical and international specialties are served with refined simplicity, elegant and genuine at the same time, accompanied by an exclusive wine list. Our Maitre, Filippo Nocerino, will be at your disposition for any special requests.Perfect for any occassion or simply for a romantic evening, our restaurant “La Cupola” will live up to your expectations and your appetites!TOP OF THE CARLTON SKY LUNGE & RESTAURANTLet “Time Out” steer you upwards to the finest sky lounge in Venice for enjoying cocktails in the clouds and Grand Canal view dining .Stylish evenings begin and end at TOP OF THE CARLTON, the rooftop terrace perched on the 4th floor of the Carlton on the Grand Canal Hotel. Impressive views from this spacious terrace take in both the ancient majesty of the Grand Canal and its noble palaces and the modern Constitution bridge, the newest structure that pierces the motley Venice skyline full of domes, bell towers, arches and spires.Choose from a multitude of cocktails, snacks and light-dining while you sit and enjoy a romantic sunset or experience the gentle lapping of the Grand Canal waters as a gondola passes by.When it’s time to unwind and relax, choose Top of the Carlton.TOP OF THE CARLTON can be exclusively reserved for private events and functions, such as wedding receptions, birthday parties, corporate events – in fact the sky is the limit.Open from mid May to end of September, weather permitting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Grand Canal Hotel
- Hotel Carlton Grand Canal
- Canal Hotel Venice