“Great Hotel, Excellent Staff”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ranked #52 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I booked my stay many weeks early on expedia, and by the time I got their prices had skyrocketed. As a result, I expected to be put in a cubbyhole of a room. (I had booked Classic Double for single use.) Instead, I was given a huge room with king bed, foyer area, and beautiful furnishings. That came along with two personalized notes from the guest room manager welcoming me.

The air conditioning worked perfectly, which was needed! And contrary to some earlier posts, wifi is available -- free -- in rooms and I had no trouble at all connecting.

The staff is superb. Both completely professional and yet very friendly. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Contact them ahead of time on their website, and if you have a little Italian use it. It makes you...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Stayed in this charming hotel in a twin-bedded standard room on the 3rd floor with my mother for 4 nights. Its in a very central location. We really liked the decor of the hotel it was typically Venetian, with a little Middle Eastern theme too. My favourite place was the salon where we had tea one afternoon, see pics. The reception areas are beautifully decorated and luxurious. There are antiques and collectibles all over the hotel which we loved as we are both collectors. Our room was a little tired but then the hotel is very old and I suppose it gave it a feeeling of authenticity. It was small and there was not a lot of space to walk around the beds. It was clean however, with a nice bathroom and plethora of toiletries (including bath salts): these are good quality and replenished daily. Lighting is very limited but we only really used the room for sleeping so this wasn't a problem. Then again if they could improve the lighting they should. We both slept well and the beds were comfortable, soundproofing on the floor above us was a bit of an issue on the last night as there was a noisy family staying above us and that disturbed our rest.
The service at reception and in the restaurant was polite and professional. Breakfast was delicious and I really enjoyed the homemade breads and jams. I still crave their peach jam which was the best I have ever had.
Wifi Internet access was free for me but this could depend on your hotel package, I was given a user id and password at reception and then could use wifi in my room and around the hotel.
My overall asessment is that It was an expensive hotel for the type of room we selected but we chose it for its central location and style. We enjoyed it, but if you want a bright airy room with all the mod cons and space, go for a cheaper 3 star and then book an executive suite. You would however probably forego the delicious breakfast with organic produce. Be warned food in Venice is generally expensive and disapointing!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank holidayqueen36
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst on the way to Croatia. We arrived by water taxi, which I must say is the way to arrive! We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff, who would not you carry a bag anywhere. We had 3 rooms booked, 2 of which were on the top floor, each with balconies and views to die for. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and is certainly a period style hotel, great showers and bathroom. After an afternoon of exploring we returned to complementary champagne, which we drank on the balcony and watched the world go by, perfect. We chose not to eat in the hotel, not for any reason, we just felt like exploring a little more. Breakfast was excellent and served in a beautiful patio environment.
I hope to return here again very soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2011

refurbished maintaining original style, although without the possibility to incorporate modern comfort like air extractor in the bathroom. Good breakfast. Beds could be renewed, not in the decoration, that is part of the style, but in the straighteness.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

You would never know that throngs of tourists are emptying out of water buses, gathering on the waterfront and walking by the front of the hotel as you enjoy breakfast or an after dinner drink in the garden bar of the Metropole Hotel. We spent two very enjoyable and comfortable nights here, and couldn't ask for more friendly and attentive service from the front desk, the concierge, and the wait staff. The location is close to the heart of the city, San Marco square, but it's also very easy to access the less trodden areas from this location.

Our room & bathroom was plenty large enough for us, as we didn't spend much time there in such a wonderful city full of gorgeous views, intimate restaurants and fun walks. The hotel helped us plan departure back to the mainland in a water taxi. They picked us up on the canal right off the lobby. Very convenient!

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We found this hotel thru booking with EasyJet and it was fantastic! Nothing was too much trouble. The location was perfect (only two bridges away from St Mark’s Square) and the views across the water were fantastic. Being so close to the front and St Mark’s Square it probably wasn’t the quietest hotel we’ve ever stayed in but, we weren’t exactly hoping for a quiet country type retreat, but wanted to hear the fun of Venice. Having said that, it wasn’t crazy and we slept very well. The building was fantastic and I can highly recommend this hotel. It was EXCELLENT!

Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is a very highly rated hotel with 2 star Michelin rated restaurant. The decor is garish. I felt as if I had entered a cheesy flea market. The owner apparently has a penchant for collecting assorted knick-knacks which he enjoys sharing with his guests. Our floor was a repository for an unending assortment of crucifixes. Our room (321) was ungodly hot with a poorly performing air conditioner. When I complained, I was informed that there was nothing they could do as it was an "old hotel". When I told them that our friends' room next door was cool the gentleman at the front desk(Peter) said that we should sleep with them! The bathtub would not drain. The hand-held shower did not work. The front desk personnel were at best condescending, at worst, downright rude. Save your money. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends