“A dream come true” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Massachusetts
“A dream come true”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

My son and I just returned from a three week trip to Europe (England, Paris, Berlin, Venice & Barcelona). Of all the places we stayed, the Hotel Metropole and Venice were the most magical! The hotel is EVERYTHING that I expected a hotel in Venice to be. The lounge area is sumptuous AND relaxing. The garden terrace was an oasis to enjoy coffee in the AM or drinks in the PM. Our room was comfortable and had a lovely view of the lagoon. Located right around the corner from St. Mark's Square, the hotel was in the center of the action. My favorite spot to relax was the vaporetto stop on the side canal. The staff couldn't have been MORE accommodating-arranging water taxis to Murano or suggesting dinner spots (be sure to try Osteria Oliva Nera-one of the BEST meals of my life!). I CAN"T wait to return to Venice and the Hotel Metropole!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

My husband and 2 kids 8 & 10 years old just stayed at this hotel. It was a 2 min walk to St. Mark's square. It was right on the water. The hotel arranged a private water taxi for us to the airport. It really was a great location. It was 1 min from the vaparetto stop but we needed a private water taxi because we had too much luggage and couldn't go over the bridge with it. Rooms were very clean & spacious. Bathrooms were very clean & nice too. They had a free water taxi to murano too. They included the breakfast buffet and it was very good. we were sad to leave but would definitely stay there again. It was a great experience!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Unfortunately, we were ignore by the concierge when we arrived. Then the bell hop kept us waiting so we had to ask the front desk to bring our bags up. Then, they didnt even do that -- after waiting 20 minutes for our bags, my husband found our bags in the middle of the lobby, unattended, and brought them up.
On top of that, my Amex agent told me that we were promised a complimentary dinner at a nearby hotel as part of the package, but they never gave it to us. We left the hotel inside of two days.....we were promised adjacent or adjoining rooms but were on separate sides of the floor, not even close.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Busychick3
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I booked my stay many weeks early on expedia, and by the time I got their prices had skyrocketed. As a result, I expected to be put in a cubbyhole of a room. (I had booked Classic Double for single use.) Instead, I was given a huge room with king bed, foyer area, and beautiful furnishings. That came along with two personalized notes from the guest room manager welcoming me.

The air conditioning worked perfectly, which was needed! And contrary to some earlier posts, wifi is available -- free -- in rooms and I had no trouble at all connecting.

The staff is superb. Both completely professional and yet very friendly. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Contact them ahead of time on their website, and if you have a little Italian use it. It makes you...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Stayed in this charming hotel in a twin-bedded standard room on the 3rd floor with my mother for 4 nights. Its in a very central location. We really liked the decor of the hotel it was typically Venetian, with a little Middle Eastern theme too. My favourite place was the salon where we had tea one afternoon, see pics. The reception areas are beautifully decorated and luxurious. There are antiques and collectibles all over the hotel which we loved as we are both collectors. Our room was a little tired but then the hotel is very old and I suppose it gave it a feeeling of authenticity. It was small and there was not a lot of space to walk around the beds. It was clean however, with a nice bathroom and plethora of toiletries (including bath salts): these are good quality and replenished daily. Lighting is very limited but we only really used the room for sleeping so this wasn't a problem. Then again if they could improve the lighting they should. We both slept well and the beds were comfortable, soundproofing on the floor above us was a bit of an issue on the last night as there was a noisy family staying above us and that disturbed our rest.
The service at reception and in the restaurant was polite and professional. Breakfast was delicious and I really enjoyed the homemade breads and jams. I still crave their peach jam which was the best I have ever had.
Wifi Internet access was free for me but this could depend on your hotel package, I was given a user id and password at reception and then could use wifi in my room and around the hotel.
My overall asessment is that It was an expensive hotel for the type of room we selected but we chose it for its central location and style. We enjoyed it, but if you want a bright airy room with all the mod cons and space, go for a cheaper 3 star and then book an executive suite. You would however probably forego the delicious breakfast with organic produce. Be warned food in Venice is generally expensive and disapointing!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank holidayqueen36
harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst on the way to Croatia. We arrived by water taxi, which I must say is the way to arrive! We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff, who would not you carry a bag anywhere. We had 3 rooms booked, 2 of which were on the top floor, each with balconies and views to die for. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and is certainly a period style hotel, great showers and bathroom. After an afternoon of exploring we returned to complementary champagne, which we drank on the balcony and watched the world go by, perfect. We chose not to eat in the hotel, not for any reason, we just felt like exploring a little more. Breakfast was excellent and served in a beautiful patio environment.
I hope to return here again very soon!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

refurbished maintaining original style, although without the possibility to incorporate modern comfort like air extractor in the bathroom. Good breakfast. Beds could be renewed, not in the decoration, that is part of the style, but in the straighteness.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple