“5* Hotel in St.Marcs Square - 5* Location - 5* Prices - But not 5* Service”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ranked #51 of 385 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“5* Hotel in St.Marcs Square - 5* Location - 5* Prices - But not 5* Service”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for my Birthday & yes as Location, Location, Location goes the Hotel certainly has that. Arrived in Venice and brought a Return ticket to the Airport & 3 day pass for all boat rides around the city for 50 euros (bargain).
There is a slow 20min boat ride to St. Marcs square and a 1 Hour long boat ride - weather was great that day therefore we took the longer ride to enjoy the view as we were not expected at the hotel till later.There is 2 St Marcs makes sure you get off at the second one as this is closer to the hotel. EVERYONE REMEMBER VENICE IS BUILT AROUND WATER - ONLY WATER TAXIS - NO TAXIS YOU WALK EVERYWHERE. On 1st appearance outside & inside of the Hotel looks deceiving but it is beautiful. We felt our room did not live up to the price and after a discussion with Hotel our room was changed this room had been up dated & more or less finished, this was much better.
On arrival weather fantastic - Next two days it could not stop raining it was so bad * note to people if you go in the rainy season take waterproofs and wellingtons, sea water salty will ruin your shoes girls. Everywhere sold plastic over tops, umbrellas and plastic shoe covers - bring your own and save money. We got soaked by the rain & Hotel did nothing to help ,we ended up using the hairdryer to dry out our soaking shoes and coats. We booked end of Feb -Mar & were not aware this was Venice Carnival time and the costumes were Fantastic - be sure to check dates and book in advance your hotel.
Water boat from hotel was very pricy at 160 euros - cheap if there is a group of you. 1 pot of tea cost 28 euros - you be the judge of the price, I stop in 5* all of the time & I felt it was quite high. TV no music channel & only English station Sky News & BBC News - not essential but when getting ready would have been nice no docking station - this is a 5* hotel.
Booking out was easy and the reception were very helpful. Take time to look around the hotel it is beautiful - but some places in the Hotel I feel are in need of up-dating.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a Lagoon view, Ask for a room with a quiet location if you need peace & q...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LornaDavis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I booked tis for my boyfriends birthday. We got a boat taxi from the airport to the Metropole which was a great start to out holiday, as the weather was beautiful I couldn't think of a better way to travel!
Our drop off was literally outside the hotel where it seems that others had to walk a way, anfd when we realised how central we were it was amazing, literally a stones throw away from san march square and everything we wanted to near. Walking into the hotel I had to adjust my eyes as it was so hot and bright outside and cool and dark inside, but once I could see it was fabulous, cluttered with artifacts and nick nacks, everything velvet, gold, regal and plush it was the quirkiest hotel I think ive been in. Check in was a bit painful but once it was sorted and we were escorted to our room all was ok. The room itself I was slightly disappointed in as I had paid a serious amount of money for 4days and expected it to be much grander as the website described. Never the less it was very different, we had a raised bed area (the beds were 2 doubles pushed together and I expected better), the sitting area wasn't massive but an ok size with some fruit, snacks and drinks which was nice and the welcome book was well set out. The room was grand-ish with the cherrubs everywhere and the 4poster bed etc but looks like it could do with a bit of updating as looking slightly tired. Windows either side of the room was welcome as it was hot. There was a dressing area as you walk to the bathroom which were both a nice size and very clean. We were considering having dinner here one night but on passing the restaurant decided against it as there were never many people seated and the prices were extortionate. We ate out at new places every day and would recommend that as there are some gems we found. Even breakfast was priced at around 21Eur a day and that was just continental! I cannot stress how central this location was, a stones throw from everything! Also whenever we mentioned where we were staying whilst out and about it seems the hotel is held in high regards by natives.
Venice is a beautiful place and like another world, I would tell anyone to have a visit.

Room Tip: Suit 251 - described as a suite, but smaller than I thought!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We came back from Venice this week and I already miss it. We stayed for 5 nights.
*Hotel*
The Metropole has one of the best locations, very close to St. Mark’s Square.
Besides the perfect location, it is also a really nice hotel. We had a deluxe double room with lagoon view, albeit a bit on the small side, it had the best view of the lagoon. As we didn’t actually spent much time in the room, the fact that it was a bit small wasn’t that important. The room had gorgeous gold silk covered walls, high ceilings and a Murano glass chandelier, so even if it was small, it didn’t feel that small. Plus the view from the 3rd floor was really out of this world! To wake up every morning to that gorgeous view of the lagoon was such a pleasure. The bed was extremely comfortable.
They have a 3 times a day service, once to change the towels and bed linen, once for the turndown service..and, as we discovered, they actually come back late at evening to put some sort of linen towels on the floor next to the bed and close the window shutters. Very nice service!
The bathroom was all marble and the toiletries were very good quality, we even had bags of bath salts available. The whole place was extremely clean.
The hotel staff was very very nice, they remembered my room number every time and always had a big smile on their faces.
The breakfast was really nice as well. They have mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumber, boiled eggs, bacon, scrambled eggs, cheeses, cold meats, fresh fruit, croissants, porridge, nuts, just to mention a few. You have to try the panna cotta, really amazing! After the breakfast I didn’t have to eat until the evening!
For my birthday they offered us a glass a prosecco in their Oriental Bar and some nibbles, very nice touch!
*Murano and Burano*
The hotel has a free water taxi to Murano – which was very nice. You just need to tell reception when you want to go and they will arrange it for you. When you get to Murano, you are welcomed by a really nice man, who will take you to a Murano glass factory where they will show you how they make a vase and a horse. Beautiful, make sure you tip the guy who does all this, as he deserves it. We didn’t actually buy anything there, as we found the prices a bit high, but if you can afford it, there are some amazing things there, it’s like a museum! After that they were offering either a water taxi back to the hotel or to the Burano Island. We took the Burano – and it was worth it. We were greeted by a nice lady who took us to a shop where they were showing us how they make the lace. We bought some things here, but we haggled a lot to get a better price, which we did in the end. All in all, a great day! We took the vaporetto back to Venice Island, it was 7 Eur per person.
*Transfers*
We went for the shared water taxi, which was absolutely fantastic. We did have to wait about 30 min when we arrived, which was a bit annoying, but as the normal price for a water taxi just for us was a bit high, it was to be expected. The journey from the airport to the hotel and back was very very nice. On the way back they went to take other people from other hotels so it was like having a gondola ride through the canals, amazing! We loved it!
*Food and drinks*
There are so many restaurants, even if it was Valentine ’s Day and very busy, you wouldn’t have any problem to find a restaurant. Most of them do a tourist menu, very good priced. The wine is good, go for the house wine, as it is good and not expensive at all. I loved the Bellini in Bacaro Jazz bar (close to Rialto Bridge), they have a happy hour from 4 to 6 everyday when you get 2 drinks for the price of one, so do try it.
We had once dinner at the Restaurant Terazza Danieli at the Danieli hotel, just 100 metres from the Metropole. The food here is exquisite, but be warned - not cheap. Very nice though, worth the price if it’s for a special occasion and you want to treat yourself.
We had a drink on the terrace bar of Gritti palace hotel, only for the gorgeous view of the Grand Canal on a sunny day. Drinks not cheap, but you’re probably paying for the view!
*Entertainment*
Ok – here it is – the best part of our holiday. By chance we discovered we could buy tickets to Opera, but not opera in a theatre, but opera taking place in 3 rooms of an old Palazzo (Palazzo Barbarigo Minotto) on the Grand Canal. I didn’t even think about it and got the 70 Eur/ person tickets for Il Barbiere di Siviglia. What a treat!! It was amazing to see them performing just 1 metre away from you. I want to go back to Venice only because I want to see the other plays they have. If you like opera – this is a must! They also have drinks (alcoholic and soft) included in the price, during the interval.
It was truly a perfect holiday.

Room Tip: Go for a lagoon facing room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loves2travel099
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at The Metrpole in January. What an absolute delight. Walking through the crimson corridors adorned with the owner's collections was quite magical. Our floor had a massive collection of old 'bedheads', quite 'Alice in Wonderlandish'. Our room was changed in minutes, once we informed them that our wifi was not working ( important when you leave children at home), not to mention an upgrade. We travel quite extensively, and on this one occasion I want the staff at The Metropole to know that we're planning another stay in April. Also, many thanks for the lovely bottle of Prosecco and the delicious nibbles you sent to our room for our anniversary.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Conjux
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed in a junior suite. There was a bedroom area that was open onto a separate seating area with a desk, chairs, small sofa and a larger TV than the very tiny TV that was in the bedroom area. There were windows in the bedroom area and in the sitting area. The room faced a narrow alley so even with the drapes fully open, there wasn't much natural light in the room during the day. On the upside, with the shutters closed, the room was pitch black and perfect for sleeping any time of day.

The bed was firm for my taste but comfortable. The bedding was very high quality with four large down pillows. There were extra blankets in the closet.

The bathroom was huge with a large soaking tub. The shower is above the tub, not a separate stall. The water pressure was good and hot water available almost immediately. The towels were large and high quality. There is plenty of wall area but no towel bars so the towels are in piles around the room and have to be moved around to use various things in the bathroom. Robes and slippers are provided.

There are tons of TV stations but the the only English language stations are the international news channels. There are no English language entertainment channels.

There is a mini bar that was restocked every day. The heating and cooling was easy to control and worked well.

The rooms are not very modern in the sense that I had to move a lot of furniture around to find a place to plug in my phone and iPad to charge.

The service was very good. I was in and out of the room during the day and they seamlessly serviced the room around my schedule without any specific direction from me.

The location is very good. The hotel faces the lagoon on a main thoroughfare but is far enough from Piazza San Marco that one can avoid the constant crush of tourists. All major sites were easy walking distance and the hotel is a minute away from a main vaporetto stop.

Room Tip: A high floor facing the lagoon or canal is preferable to a room facing the alley
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Metropole in Venice for 3 nights in mid January. We can't say enough good about the staff. They went above and beyond excellence. They helped us out every day. There was a question about our reservation. The company that reserved our room didn't include an item on the reservation that was specified on their web site. Management at the hotel provided it for us even though they weren't required to. After we checked out and we were waiting for our water taxi - one of their staff members came to us with a dear sweater of mine that had fallen behind the luggage rack. I was so grateful.

The hotel is so beautiful inside. Our room was large and clean with everything that we needed. The breakfast was the best we had during our nine day trip to Italy. It was in a beautiful garden setting. We also took the hotel's complimentary water taxi to Murano. There was no pressure to buy anything. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nancy g
Ramsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I am sorry to say that despite all the expectation I was very disappointed with my dinner last night. We were a party of 10 and arrived at 7.45pm and were offered a set menu, albeit a choice of 2 menus, we were then informed that we could not have one table of 10 - only 1 of 6 and 1 of 4. We waited for one hour and a half before we were show to our tables, in an empty dining room! Where we subjected to what I can only describe as one of the most moderate and most expensive meals that I have eaten in a very long time. I do think that Eur 240 (including a tip) for 2 is expensive!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends