“Cooking on our Anniversary”

Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Enrica Rocca runs a cookery school with a difference. “Born in Venice, Enrica is an Italian cook of note and a flamboyant and passionate chef and restaurateur. She has Italian cooking in her blood and a contagious zest for life and food…” David BakerFinancial Times
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Prior to our 10th wedding anniversary vacation I researched several cooking schools offering private cooking classes in Venice. Our concierge had heard good things about Enrica and suggested we contact her directly. Our trip stretched over Thanksgiving vacation, and Venice was one part of a 10 day visit. Enrica was more than accommodating and flexible. We were only able to carve out two days of the trip for the class and she was able to move things around to make one of them work out.

After a few emails we were set for our private class, on our actual anniversary day, and first day of the trip. We met at the Rialto Bridge and she took us on an exciting walk through the Mercato picking up our ingredients from the fish, meat and vegetable vendors. After our shopping excursion we stopped at All’Arco for a Spritz and some delicious ciccitti. We were so enamored with that spot we made out way back twice before we left.

We could not have been more pleased with the day, the food, the company and the class. Thank you Enrica for kicking off one of the most special vacations we've done together.

Enrica R, Proprietario at Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you Maria for this really nice review!

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"cicchetti"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My family (myself, husband, three kids aged 11 to 16) recently had the pleasure of spending a morning and afternoon with Enrica during our trip to Italy. My three daughters are picky eaters, and easily bored. And that said, I can honestly say that this was the highlight of our entire trip. Enrica is warm, personable, and charming, and very good with children. Within ten minutes of meeting her, I felt like we had known her for years. She took us on a food shopping trip to the market in Venice, chatting and explaining all the while. We stopped at a little pub at one point, where we had drinks and a bite to eat. Her sweet dog Soya was with us, much to the delight of my kids (my youngest promptly dubbed him "Soy Boy" and insisted on taking numerous photos). We walked to Enrica's palazzo, where we chatted, watched her cook, helped her cook, drank delicious wine and just generally had a fabulous time. She's a great teacher-- I'm an avid home cook, and learned quite a bit. Probably goes without saying that all of the food was mouth wateringly delicious, and that even my picky eater kiddos managed to fill their bellies.

Another reviewer on this site said something about being disappointed about not having dessert, which makes me laugh. I was so hugely full from the many courses we had, dessert was the furthest thing from my mind. So full, in fact (as were we all), that we ended up skipping dinner that night. Believe me, you will not leave hungry.

Worth mentioning that there was no preset menu: Enrica asked us what we liked and didn't like, and spontaneously shopped for and created (with us!) a feast based on our feedback. Also worth mentioning: since we returned I've recreated some of her dishes with great success.

Highly, highly recommended!

1  Thank MargotMama

Thank you Margot, we really appreciate your amazing review!!!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I had an amazing time with Enrica! My wife and me stayed in Venice for 5 days and the cooking class in Enricas Palazzo including shoping at rialto market was one of the best and real experiences we made.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Enrica was very warm and personable. We came to her house in Venice to be greeted by two glasses of crisp Prosseco. We made quite a few wonderful dishes and made good conversation. She truly gave us the local feel for Venetian cooking.

Dear Thomas thank you for this nice review!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We had an enjoyable time with Enrica which was helped by the other 2 guests who were great company. Good food and wine although the whole thing was a little disorganized, which is possibly part of Enrica’s charm. Dessert was mentioned but we didn't get any. An experience, but not particularly good value at E360 for two with the credit card payment only through PayPal which gives a very poor exchange rate.

2  Thank rwlid
Enrica R, Proprietario at Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Client,

I am terribly sorry you did not fully enjoy your experience with me.

I presume that the word "disorganised" would be better explained by spontaneus. I know most cooking schools have a preset 3 course menu with written recipes and the whole thing is very organised. It was a choice I made to run my school in a different way and to rather go to the market in the morning, buy whatever great ingredients are available and then decide how to cook them. I fully understand this is not everyones "cup of tea".

Desserts I admit are not my thing, so I prefer to make several starters rather than a dessert. Savoury and sweets are two totally different worlds and rarely a chef will be good at both. So I decided to concentrate on my strengths rather than my weaknesses.

Kind regards