“Our favorite day in Venice”

Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Enrica Rocca runs a cookery school with a difference. “Born in Venice, Enrica is an Italian cook of note and a flamboyant and passionate chef and restaurateur. She has Italian cooking in her blood and a contagious zest for life and food…” David BakerFinancial Times
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We met Enrica at the Rialto Bridge to start our cooking experience, but first things first. Enrica introduced us to the four others who were joining us for the day of cooking and asked if there was anything we wouldn't eat. Now, there was shopping to do at the market where we learned how to choose and selected the freshest fish and vegetables, beautiful fresh herbs and cheeses.
After we filled our pull cart with all the ingredients we headed to Enrica's kitchen, stopping along the way for a little Prosecco and delicious crostini. What a treat!! Down a little alley way we enjoyed the most delicious treats - we never would have found this treasure ourselves.

After refreshments we walked to Enrica's kitchen, where we were welcomed by her assistant with more Prosecco and our cooking journey began. We cleaned the scampi shrimp, the manta shrimp, squid, salmon, octopus, swordfish, shelled fresh peas and beans, sliced and grilled eggplant then filled with delicious cheeses, then sliced and seeded a Sicilian zucchini which was eaten with just a drizzle of olive oil. Food was prepared and put out to enjoy as we prepared our "main course" items. When all was ready we sat around the large kitchen island and enjoyed our creations with white wine. This is just a selection of what we prepared and enjoyed and I have to say I would not normally have tried some of these items but was very glad I did. Everyone worked together in the kitchen with Enrica's guidance. She is warm, entertaining, passionate and knowledgeable.
Our four cooking mates were the most fun and we enjoyed their company so much we exchanged information and have kept in touch. it was a perfect day.
We spent a wonderful week in Venice, and our day with Enrica was our favorite.

3  Thank happytraveler214
in 7 reviews
"cicchetti"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 13 June 2014

It isn't often that people have the privilege of spending time with a true artist, be it music, fine arts and media, authors, or culinary artists. My wife and I had such an experience last week in Venice, Italy, with Enrica Rocca, chef extraordinaire. Her passion and knowledge of her art made our experience much more than simply attending a cooking class.

While we consider ourselves decent cooks, Enrica convincingly flipped our view about how we go about preparing meals. She taught us that it's always the ingredients that come first...find the best, fresh ingredients and then decide, creatively, how to combine and simply prepare them.

Our full day cooking class with Enrica was educational and a lot of fun with great food, great wine, and great people. And there's nothing better than that! From the visit to the market, the pause at her favorite bacaro for a "cicchetto", and then to her incredible kitchen where she patiently directed our cooking, we had a culinary experience that will guide our own efforts for years to come.

We highly recommend Enrica's cooking classes to anyone truly interested in learning the true "art" of cooking. Thank you, Enrica!

1  Thank Bert_and_Frima
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Before leaving for Italy we asked for a recommendation on things to do, a friend recommended the cooking school with Enrica so we signed up. We had high hopes and the experience did not disappoint. Not only was the food fresh and delicious, but we learned a lot, laughed a lot, and had the best night of our trip with the small group that attended.

It was very cozy and felt like cooking with family and friends the entire time. We learned a lot about different local ingredients and tried some things that we would have otherwise not considered eating (DELICIOUS SCAMPI). Enrica is a pleasure to be around and clearly loves doing what she does.

This is highly recommended for anyone that would like a great dining experience.

2  Thank Marc P
Enrica R, Proprietario at Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Marc, Thank you for the very flattering review and your enthusiasm in writing it. I hope to see you in Canada for my Book Tour before the end of the year. Will keep you updated on dates etc.... Ciao

Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you're looking for an authentic, memorable food experience in Venice, look no further than Enrica Rocca's fabulous cooking school. A native Venetian, Enrica is the real deal. She's on a first name basis with most, if not all, of the vendors and shopkeepers in the city and as you walk through the Rialto markets with her, you can't help but notice how eager they are to sell her their finest produce and seafood.

Pristine local ingredients are the foundation of Enrica's cooking. She doesn't use recipes, doesn't own a set of measuring cups or spoons, and rarely makes dessert. Instead, she encourages her guests to be creative and spontaneous in the kitchen; to let their senses be their guide. During the evening class I participated in, she urged students to 'stick your finger in the pot and taste it’ over and over again. How else will you know if the saffron-scented cauliflower purée you've been working on needs more salt?

The cooking school is inside Enrica’s family palazzo, on a quiet side street in the Dorsoduro sestiere. The atmosphere is very relaxed. You can take part as much or as little as you like. The class is as free-flowing as the wine - more like a stylish, upscale dinner party than a structured classroom lesson.

And what a dinner party! The food we cooked was, hands-down, the best meal I had during my entire 11-day stay in Venice.

A day or so after your class, you’ll receive a booklet by email (close to 60 pages) filled with Enrica’s culinary wisdom - tips on how to shop for and make the most of ingredients where ever you happen to call home.

Enrica will take you on a delicious journey involving all of your senses - sight, smell, taste, touch and sound - and when that adventure finally comes to an end (around 10:30 - 11:00 pm) you will know why her cooking class is considered one of the best in the world.

Enrica R, Proprietario at Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much Laura for sharing your experience with me. You really captured the essence of my cooking classes and what I try to transmit to everyone and I am so happy you had a good time with me in Venice!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our day with Enrica and another couple! The time spent in the fish and produce markets was invaluable, as was the wonderful opportunity to taste and try new things.

Here on the California Central Coast, we have local fishermen and a few small seafood markets, as well as farmers' markets on a daily basis around the county. My new goal is to cultivate relationships with local suppliers, and kick my cooking up a notch.

Working in Enrica's kitchen (could you really call that work?) was lots of fun as we cooked, ate, cooked some more, and ate. All in all an experience you won't find in most cooking "schools."

Enrica R, Proprietario at Enrica Rocca Cooking School Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Rick,

It was an absolute pleasure to have you and Amy in my cooking course. I am so happy to hear you are taking what you learned with me and bringing it to your kitchen!

Enrica