“Everything you could want”

Hotel Savoia & Jolanda
Ranked #81 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Everything you could want”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel has everything you could want at a very reasonable price. The Hotel overlooks the Lagoon and is only feet away from one of the main water taxi stops. Minutes walk from St Marks Square, Bridge of Sighs, Doge's Palace and shopping. A superb location, with good food, friendly staff and excellent rooms - everything you could want!
The outside dining is great and even in November with the outside heaters it was a treat!
Breakfast was good and the staff are really friendly and helpful.
Venice is a must do it is a beautiful, unique city. The way of life and how the normal things we take for granted are transported through the waterways and canals is intriguing. However, that is reflected in the cost of eating out and getting around - it's expensive compared to mainland Europe and UK. Expect to pay €4 - €7 euros for a coffee, dependent on where you are.
St Marks Square is a hob of great architecture, history, shops and crowds as you would expect. It can get flooded in the autumn/winter months so be prepared.
Rialto Bridge and the area are good for shopping and markets. Peggy Guggenheim is well worth a visit. And you can't go to Venice without taking a Gondola - about €80 euros for half an hour but worth it but be selective and don't go to the queues but pick up the singular Gondolas they will negotiate and give more information.
Absolutely loved it and would go back.

Room Tip: Some reviews mentioned the street traders outside starting early and disturbing their sleep - we had...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank morrismadhouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Verona, Italy
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I arrived on my birthday and were happy with the location of the hotel as it is very easy to find and pretty central. However we were disappointed when we got to our room. Although newly renovated, therefore in very good condition, it is tiny. My husband was even more disappointed that there was nothing in the room to acknowledge my birthday. He mentioned to the receptionist that it was indeed my birthday as our travel agent had advised us that she had made a note of it and would ask that they upgrade us. Now we realised that they were not obliged to do so, but some acknowledgment of the day would have been nice.
Our first night was terrible. We are overlooking an ally, and can here constant noise from people walking past. Also the bed was rock hard. We asked for a mattress topper, and it was there when we arrived back from our day.
Our second night we were prepared with earplugs! Was slightly better but still noisy.
We contacted our agent who said she would inform the hotel, as we did not want to complain and make a fuss.
On our third morning we were woken by a constant extremely loud banging. We called reception to ask what it was, they informed us that it is building work being carried out next door, and out of their control.
All of this we excepted until i overheard a couple booking in and were told as they had booked a standard room, and were staying for four days (as were we) they were going to upgrade them free of charge!
I waited to the side of the reception desk until i was asked how they could be of service to which I enquired as to why this particular couple had received an upgrade and we had not had any response what so ever.
I could not believe how rude to receptionist was to me. He said I shouldn't of embarrassed him by mentioning it in front of other guests, and it did not matter to him that it was my birthday, it is no obligation of the hotel to upgrade. I explained that I understood that but wanted to know why he had upgraded them (in front of me) when we have not had 1 single nights sleep. All he could say was that it did not matter to him, other peoples upgrade was not my business, they had no obligation, and the noise is nothing to do with them, and I should not of embarrassed him!

I have never been spoken to like that in a hotel anywhere I have been, and I am writing this review from my tiny room, whilst still fuming.

I have only ever written nice reviews before but felt compelled to let people know as i have read earlier reviews about upgrades and bottles of wine in the room, which just makes it even worse for me!

Such a shame as Venice is beautiful, but I now cant wait to leave.

Room Tip: Do not pick a standard room, although nicely decorated they are tiny. Also an ally view room is very...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Chels2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This hotel has a fantastic location - right beside the water taxi and 5 minutes walk from St Mark's Square where you will find San Marco's Basilica and Doge's Palace. The views from the front of the hotel are amazing with the Teatro de Finesse right across. We stayed in a superior room which was decorated to the highest standard, with regular daily room service and clean bedlinen & towels, we also received a complimentary bottle of Prosecco. The buffet breakfast which was included was nice and had a varied selection. The staff at reception helped booked tickets to a concert a no extra cost.Overall a fantastic hotel to stay - exceptional service and great rooms with a fantastic location....would highly recommend and stay again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carlene1
Great Neck, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I had my travel agent book this hotel for me. we had spent some time in Italy and had 2 nights so we really left it up to our travel agent to book it. The location was central and a block Piazza San Marco. A great location... Also 25 meters from water bus. We were put in a room in there "new" hotel around the block. Told it was a very special room & a free upgrade from what we booked. The room was like a log cabin, duplex. bathroom right near the front door and the 2 flights of stairs to the bedroom area that was in an attic and if you weren't careful you would knock your head into the natural wood support beams. Not for us... they had no other rooms for us so we stayed in it for the night... The next night we were put in a jr suite that had a view of the canal, very nice room but also very aged. The staff was amazing, very nice and would do anything to make you happy... For a 3 star hotel this is a great place to stay... The food for breakfast for me was not very good, but this seems to be how the food is in Venice. the coffee the first day was terrible and the 2nd day it was much better. Hate to write this but when I was in the bathroom one the restaurant waiters did not wash there hands after doing there business.. not a reflection of the hotel but it was gross !! Again... the front desk staff were exceptional !! I just wish I had really reviewed my hotel accommodations with my travel agent prior. We would have booked a different hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the lagoon
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Howie Z
London
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We got a great deal on this hotel through Secret Escapes so it was very good value for money. The room was nice and very clean, although the sloping ceilings were fairly low as we were on the top floor but this wasn't a problem. Breakfast buffet was good with plenty to choose from. The hotel is in a fantastic location, 5 mins walk from the main square and right next to a water bus stop but our room was very quiet. We visited during December and the reception was beautifully decorated with Christmas decorations. I would definitely recommend staying here, particularly if you are able to get a good deal on the price in low season.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Located straight in front of the boat coming from airport so no problems finding it. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Food not bad. Room was very new and typically venetian style decor. We chose a bath tub over balcony with noregrets. Superior double recommended.

2 Thank JapanTravelExpert
Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed twice now!

Horribly expensive but you must have a room with a view out over the water and the Riva degli Schiavone. Perfect place to watch the 'tourists' racing along after their guides.

Breakfast outside under the Awning is the only way to start the day. The Hotel is right by the San Zaccaria stop so it is dead easy to get around.

Staff are great, friendly and speak excellent English, French German etc

Room Tip: You must have a "Room with a View"!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple