“Superb location”

Hotel Savoia & Jolanda
Ranked #80 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in early February. The hotel is in a quite superb location, not just because it is only 150 metres along the waterfront from St Marks Square, but also because of the ease of accessibility from Venice Airport. Just get the Alilaguna Blue Line boat from the Airport which runs every 30 mins (15 Euros) and stops right in front of the hotel at the San Zaccaria stop.

We booked through a consolidator at a very good rate, especially for Venice, of £80 per night incl city taxes. A warm greeting on arrival along with tourist information. Having arrived around midday, the hotel stored our bags until the room was ready. The room was compact but well appointed and with a king size comfortable bed. Given that we were in Venice, we were not intending to spend too much time in the hotel. Housekeeping was to a high standard and there was even a turn down service.

Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special.

We left Venice by train and got to the railway station by catching the water bus (Vaporetti) - the number 1 service stops outside the hotel and takes 45 mins to get to the station by traversing the length of the Grand Canal - what a way to leave.

Would we go back - yes, because of the location, although we might go for a larger room on the waterfront. We would also hope for better weather next time. Less rain ...... and lower tides, which did see water encroaching into St Marks Square.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MDS24
There are newer reviews for Hotel Savoia & Jolanda

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I booked a superior double room with this hotel on the 2nd February 2014 for 2 nights. This was a present for my girl friend so I wanted it all to be special and I was not let down at all. The hotel is situated next to the water bus/taxi stop just 200 metres from St Mark's square and the Doge's Palace. I booked a superior double room which overlooked a small quiet ally. The rooms are all classic traditional Venetian style and include a Jacuzzi bath. The maid service is twice a day. Breakfast was included in the booking and we found it very good. However, I could imagine it would get predictable if staying for more than two nights as there is not much variation.
The hotel staff were brilliant. All our transfers were sorted and we received a free bottle of Prosecco on arrival which was a real nice touch.
I would certainly not hesitate booking this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leigh H
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Hotel makes a great impression on first sight set as it looks out at the Grand Canal & Lagoon. It is within easy walking distance of San Marco & the Doge's Palace. I found the Staff so helpful & keen to help that I am puzzled by other remarks. Our room was at the side overlooking a small alley so I guess in high summer might be noisier, we had no problems. It had everything that we wanted & was very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was varied & plentiful and set us up for the day ahead.

3  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Location of the hotel is superb - one step from water bus , that is very important in Venice in terms of carring the luggage ! St/ Marko is 5 minutes walk. Rooms are nice and well decorated - a little bit small though. Staff is REALLY good and helpful. Hotel restaurant gives 20% off for hotel residents - rather delicious. We had a great time there!

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking lagoon
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marusya757
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel has everything you could want at a very reasonable price. The Hotel overlooks the Lagoon and is only feet away from one of the main water taxi stops. Minutes walk from St Marks Square, Bridge of Sighs, Doge's Palace and shopping. A superb location, with good food, friendly staff and excellent rooms - everything you could want!
The outside dining is great and even in November with the outside heaters it was a treat!
Breakfast was good and the staff are really friendly and helpful.
Venice is a must do it is a beautiful, unique city. The way of life and how the normal things we take for granted are transported through the waterways and canals is intriguing. However, that is reflected in the cost of eating out and getting around - it's expensive compared to mainland Europe and UK. Expect to pay €4 - €7 euros for a coffee, dependent on where you are.
St Marks Square is a hob of great architecture, history, shops and crowds as you would expect. It can get flooded in the autumn/winter months so be prepared.
Rialto Bridge and the area are good for shopping and markets. Peggy Guggenheim is well worth a visit. And you can't go to Venice without taking a Gondola - about €80 euros for half an hour but worth it but be selective and don't go to the queues but pick up the singular Gondolas they will negotiate and give more information.
Absolutely loved it and would go back.

Room Tip: Some reviews mentioned the street traders outside starting early and disturbing their sleep - we had...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank morrismadhouse
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I arrived on my birthday and were happy with the location of the hotel as it is very easy to find and pretty central. However we were disappointed when we got to our room. Although newly renovated, therefore in very good condition, it is tiny. My husband was even more disappointed that there was nothing in the room to acknowledge my birthday. He mentioned to the receptionist that it was indeed my birthday as our travel agent had advised us that she had made a note of it and would ask that they upgrade us. Now we realised that they were not obliged to do so, but some acknowledgment of the day would have been nice.
Our first night was terrible. We are overlooking an ally, and can here constant noise from people walking past. Also the bed was rock hard. We asked for a mattress topper, and it was there when we arrived back from our day.
Our second night we were prepared with earplugs! Was slightly better but still noisy.
We contacted our agent who said she would inform the hotel, as we did not want to complain and make a fuss.
On our third morning we were woken by a constant extremely loud banging. We called reception to ask what it was, they informed us that it is building work being carried out next door, and out of their control.
All of this we excepted until i overheard a couple booking in and were told as they had booked a standard room, and were staying for four days (as were we) they were going to upgrade them free of charge!
I waited to the side of the reception desk until i was asked how they could be of service to which I enquired as to why this particular couple had received an upgrade and we had not had any response what so ever.
I could not believe how rude to receptionist was to me. He said I shouldn't of embarrassed him by mentioning it in front of other guests, and it did not matter to him that it was my birthday, it is no obligation of the hotel to upgrade. I explained that I understood that but wanted to know why he had upgraded them (in front of me) when we have not had 1 single nights sleep. All he could say was that it did not matter to him, other peoples upgrade was not my business, they had no obligation, and the noise is nothing to do with them, and I should not of embarrassed him!

I have never been spoken to like that in a hotel anywhere I have been, and I am writing this review from my tiny room, whilst still fuming.

I have only ever written nice reviews before but felt compelled to let people know as i have read earlier reviews about upgrades and bottles of wine in the room, which just makes it even worse for me!

Such a shame as Venice is beautiful, but I now cant wait to leave.

Room Tip: Do not pick a standard room, although nicely decorated they are tiny. Also an ally view room is very...
8  Thank Chels2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This hotel has a fantastic location - right beside the water taxi and 5 minutes walk from St Mark's Square where you will find San Marco's Basilica and Doge's Palace. The views from the front of the hotel are amazing with the Teatro de Finesse right across. We stayed in a superior room which was decorated to the highest standard, with regular daily room service and clean bedlinen & towels, we also received a complimentary bottle of Prosecco. The buffet breakfast which was included was nice and had a varied selection. The staff at reception helped booked tickets to a concert a no extra cost.Overall a fantastic hotel to stay - exceptional service and great rooms with a fantastic location....would highly recommend and stay again!

2  Thank carlene1