“Palatial Splendor!”

Ranked #69 of 386 Hotels in Venice
PA
“Palatial Splendor!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour group. This hotel was a last minute change from one on the Grand Canal, so I thought it might be an upgrade. I was not disappointed.

The hotel itself is an old building, but fairly well maintained. There are many touches of it's luxurious past! Rooms were small, as with most European hotels, but adequate. Our room, however, didn't have much of a view: the windows of the building next door and a very small courtyard. Staff seemed friendly and helpful. Internet Wi-Fi worked, and was free! The garden at the rear of the hotel was lovely! I wish we had more time to enjoy it.

Breakfast was very nice with the usual breads, pastries, meats, eggs, and beverages. The assortment of jams and jellies was truly awesome!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank GleefulTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Killingworth, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Spent one night before a Costa cruise and three nights after the cruise. Nice, clean hotel. In the Cannaregio district. On the surface it seems far from the main attractions but Venice is not a large city and most areas are walkable within 30 mins from the hotel. Nice restaurants nearby within a 10 minutes walk. The hotel offers a free shuttle service via water taxi to the San Marco area and the island of Murano. The hotel is charming but also has some awkward aspects. For example the windows lack screens and with them closed both rooms were warm and stuffy and the building lacks any air handling this time of year. The bed the first night was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood and the bathroom had a door stop centered in front of the loo making it's use awkward. All in all I would stay there again because of their affiliation with Marriott but my expectations wouldn't be that high.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles_Schuchert
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well off the beaten path. It provides a nice getaway from the chaos of San Marco. However, the quality doesn't match the price.

Come here between summer and winter, and be prepared to overheat in your room. In spite of what's advertised, the hotel only provides air conditioning in the summer months. If it's warm in September or October, you're screwed.

And be wary of their use of the term 'suite.' A better phrase might be 'tiny room with a door separating the sleeping area from the bathroom space.' A classic example of false advertising.

The staff is considerate, but not empowered. And there isn't a good restaurant close by (be prepared to travel by foot or by boat to find a good dinner).

To sum it up, if I had it to do over again, I'd look elsewhere to get my money's worth.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark J
Burke, VA
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We spent three nights at this hotel in late May. The hotel is a gem, artistic, quiet, elegant. It sits right on the lagoon separating Venice from the mainland. You can look out the back to the mainland and Morano and Borano. The front is a very quiet canal. The interior is both ornate and grand, And what a lovely garden in the middle of the property.

But the real jewel are the staff. Pleasant, friendly, helpful, ever present but never in the way. Like you are visiting a long time friend. The staff were wonderful at every turn, whether it was directions, meals or just having a drink.

I will note that the hotel is pretty far from St. Marks square, perhaps a 20-25 minute walk away. I liked that because it gave us an excuse to really explore the island. It is not a diffiult walk but I would travel lite if possible (I newer travel lite!)

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the lagoon and loved it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikaamma
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel is very different like many in Venice are. It is a Palace that has been turned in to a hotel. It is furnished accordingly with an ornate look. It's location is away from the crowded areas of Venice but if you can walk it is not a problem to get there from the San Marco, Rialto areas. It is in a very quiet neighborhood.
The staff here was very helpful with restaurant and sightseeing plans. Daniel and Ivan were just the best. We had a wonderful recommended lunch in Burano and 2 dinners in quaint neighborhood restaurants close to the hotel. We did take advantage of the shuttle to San Marco and also rode the valporetto for the 4 days that we stayed there. Breakfast was good and included in our room rate. Our room on the 4th floor faced the canal and was large and beautiful. The one thing you need to know is that the air conditioning is turned off from October to April and during our stay it was quite warm. There are mosquitos so opening windows for air is not a viable solution to the heat.
This hotel would have gotten an excellent rating if it were not for the hot room.

1 Thank Ann M
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have to agree with nancy n...
We liked the location away from San Marco which is a zoo. We were in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of anything from a local bakery, pizzeria, cute little restaurants and a grocery store. Our upgraded room was right on the lagoon but I would say that it was not luxurious for a supposedly 5 star hotel. The bathroom was small and the door didn't close all the way. There was 1 chair next to a built-in shelf under an arch and that was where the TV was. Our accommodations at the Fairfield Inn JFK were smaller but had more amenities.
The concierge service was 5 star! Both Gaia and Philip were excellent with information and services. Philip recommended the Osteria Al Cantonin for dinner and it was wonderful.

1 Thank Junko H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here at the end of our week long trip in Italy in the middle of October.

Pros: free wifi worked for us, the boat shuttle, the free trip to Murano and the glass factory, Daniel! and Giorgia!

Shoutout to Daniel, who really took the time to give us tips and directions between getting to/from Murano and Burano. Thank you so much for being so helpful!

Shoutout to Giorgia who helped us with booking our transportation to the airport!

Cons: No A/C and poor service from Benedetto.

Upon arriving here, we were greeted by Barbara at the front desk, who was very friendly and told us Benedetto would check us in, tells us about the hotel's history, and ways to get around Venice. Benedetto did check us in but was in a rush to give us information on the boat shuttle, the hotel perks, etc.. It was disappointing to be greeted so nicely by one person and then to be put off by the next. I thought maybe it was a bad morning for him....but when we returned to get our room assignment and key, he's attitude didn't change. He was balatantly unfriendly it was rude. No one mentioned that the A/C wasn't working, so we were surprised by how hot it was in the room. When I called the front desk to ask abt the A/C there was no apology/explanation, Benedetto said it doesnt work. That's it, it doesn't work. Fine, we kept the windows shut b/c there were no screens. It worked out ok until the next day when it was surprisingly humid. We were forced to open one window and then had to battle the mosquitoes.

We were only staying at the hotel two nights and so i didn't think it was necessary for a change of towels or sheets, so when we left the hotel in the morning for our first full day in Venice, I left the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door. We were eating breakfast downstairs and my husband ran up to the room to get our travel book but he couldn't find it so I went up to look for it. It had not been more than 5 minutes when I saw the maid coming from our room, which I found weird b/c the service elevator had not opened which was right next to our room. When I got to the door, I noticed the sign said "PLEASE MAKE UP MY ROOM." I got our travel book, and changed the sign back and asked my husband if he changed it and he said no, I knew it was the maid. When we came back in the evening, the room was made up.....I guess she was looking for "something" or looking for a tip. idk, just thought it was weird and then I read another review of a woman who had $100 stolen from her. Hmmm.

Overall the hotel itself was fine, it just had poor service for a "luxury hotel."

Room Tip: If you want something away from the city scene this the perfect place.
2 Thank Michelle L