Grand Hotel Dei Dogi
  • Restaurant
US$312
US$281
1,718 results
All reviewsfrench embassymarriott pointsorto stopwater taxibeautiful hotelprivate gardenoff the beaten pathminute walkfirst stopfree shuttlemurano glass chandeliersquiet neighborhoodformer palacethe hotel offersorange linehotel boatmark's square
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We found the hotel to be very nice overall. The staff at the desk were extremely helpful and friendly. They switched our room to a nice view of the canal. And, without me asking, they provided a chilled bottle of champagne in our room in honor of our 25th wedding anniversary. The room was number 105. It was a large room with a wonderfully large bath, with double vanities. The tub was extra long, which made for a comfortable relaxing bath after a long day of walking the city. We were there in December, and the weather was very nice. The hotel has no air conditioning, so it might be a bit hot in the summer. The windows to the rooms open well, but you might get a mosquito or two from the canals. Our breakfast was included in the room, along with free wifi. The breakfast included the typical buffet fare, along with a hot meal selection from the menu...was very generous and made for a great start to the day. The staff made some great restaurant recommendations. They have a courtesy shuttle boat to take guests along the city canals, but must be booked in advance. The hotel is off the beaten path in a very quiet neighborhood, but is only a short walk to the main tourist street. The vaporetto water bus stops just behind the hotel, for easy access to anywhere in the city, and the airport shuttle boat stops there, too. The only negative about the hotel was the quality of the bed. It was absolutely the worst king size mattress I have ever slept upon...and, believe me, I have had some bad mattresses in the past. We were only here two nights...so it was bearable.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Reagan10
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Only stayed one night, but the room and amenities were terrific. could recommend heartily. made the trip so much easier! lavish breakfast, access to the hotel's boat was great. watch out for the field trips - they can be hard-sell. Cold outside, but the room was warm and cozy. Very elegant and old-worldly, and in a quiet part of town, but easily navigated.

Room Tip: if you can get a room in the back by the boathouse, that's quiet and wonderful, but it's all good.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

As with allot of reviews I think it is hit and miss. The great aspects. Location, is out of the hustle and bustle which worked well, walking home you certainly felt liked you belonged more getting out of the throng of tourist, as commented there are some great restaurants close by, well recommended by the concierge. We stayed in a room overlooking the main water not in the house itself, we loved the view, the sunset from the little pier and sunrise over the water in the morning. Water taxi is a great option, and really is a value add. It's a great ride. Trip to glass showrooms was really worth it, especially if you would like to get a quality piece of Murano. The walk to st marks is at least 30 minutes but in a place like Venice the walk is a trip, and it was a reliefs always to be able to get out of the crowds. The property is special and definitely a historical venue,

Internet did not work and staff really were not trained in how to deal with the complaint. Seemed really disinterested in fact. I would say that I room was 5 star by European standards , just the service was lacking when dealing with anything that did not work. They seemed more interested in serving you their way than the way you wanted to be looked after.

I would go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monkeyc
Reviewed 1 December 2013

First of all must say what a beautiful, clean, welcoming,hotel this is and the food was very good as was our room and it was perfect overlooking the canal. My partner and I were with family and friends (8 in total) en route to our cruise ship the following day. Our maid came early to clean etc., and we said we would be going to breakfast could she come back then as the room would be free to clean etc. On returning to our room to collect our carrying - on cases ( our room had not been cleaned or the bed changed we did not open and check our cases before leaving, the porter/bell boy collected our heavier cases to take to the lobby, we took our carry-on cases, for when our water taxi arrived. Everything went very smoothly and there were no problems. On on board our cruise ship I went to my carry-on case to put my purse into the safe - I checked my English money and found that I had 2x£20 and 2x£10 notes missing from my purse. The only time that this could have been taken was when we left our carry-on bags in our hotel room whilst we were at breakfast, as I took my purse from the hotel room safe and placed in it my carry-on bag before we went to breakfast and this was the only time that my purse was out of the safe. I was very disappointred that this could happen in a top class hotel and I am in no doubt that this was where it was stolen from. I contacted the Boscolo on my return to England - I could not do this earlier as I had no internet access before then. It was over a week before they replied to my email and I was very disappointed with their reply, advising me that our hotel room's lock had not been tampered with and the staff are very trustworthy and have been with them for years. We were offered an up-grade to a junior suite in their or any other Marriott Hotel. Unfortunately, this will be the first and last time that we stay in the Boscolo Venezia, Venice as I would be worried about my personal belongings in or out of the safe. Such a pity, this cannot be the first time money or personal belongings have gone missing from the Boscolo, I enquired if this has happened before, but I did not get any reply. We have stayed at other Marriott Hotels and have had no problems and have already recommended the Marriott Beachside in Key West on Trip Advisor

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carole G
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights this week at Boscolo. Thought I would start with the positives:

The hotel is beautiful, filled with murano glass chandeliers. Very clean and artsy. If you've got status with Marriott, the breakfast is free (and very good).
The restaurant in the hotel is excellent as well. Good service and never busy.
Bathroom amenities were good and bonus, a towel warmer!
Concierge and staff were wonderful. There is a free shuttle to St Marks which will save you a ton of money!

Now, for the not so positive pieces...

Touted as a five star hotel, it definitely is not. Mattresses were hard and uncomfortable. Bathroom was small and very cramped (door hits the toilet and you can't use the outlet without trying to stand around the bidet, very awkward).

Pricey...especially for the location. It's easily a 40 min walk to St Marks and 25-30 min to Rialto Bridge.

Stayed: November 2013