“A bit run down and miserable shower”
Review of Amadeus Hotel

Amadeus Hotel
Ranked #162 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Atlanta, Georgia
“A bit run down and miserable shower”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at the Amadeus on a group tour. We were supposed to stay at another hotel on the Grand Canal and were switched to the Amadeus at the last minute.
The hotel has two different sections with two different elevators and stairs. The majority of my group stayed in the front section and complained of noise coming from the street. Other than that they seemed fairly content with their rooms.
My room, however, was in the back section of the hotel. It was a single room, and true to my experience in European hotels, it was pretty small but functional. There was no safe and a very small closet. The bed was an acceptably comfortable twin.
The bathroom, and more specifically, the shower were what made the stay less than pleasant.
The shower had two heads - one the typical handheld European type head and the other fixed to the wall above the shower's head. I attempted to use just the fixed head, but there was no way to get anything but frigid water from this head when it was the only one on. So, I was forced to turn on the hand-held shower head. This allowed hot water to flow through both heads. Unfortunately, the hand-held head sprayed water horizontally getting water all over the bathroom. The temperature of the water was also very difficult to adjust with a response time lag making it common to scald yourself.

There was free wi-fi with a code from the front desk.
The buffet breakfast was pretty good, and the staff were friendly and spoke very good English.

The location was ok - about a 20-30 minute walk to St. Mark's Square.

Mostly due to the shower issues, I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sehkmet22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Crooklands
Reviewed 27 July 2013

First time in Venice, and I was recommended this hotel after reading TripAdvisor reviews and by our travel agent. The hallway looks good, but thats about it. The lift barely fits 2 people in. Our bedroom had wallpaper ripped, the shower couldn't fit 1 person in, bathroom overall was really small and cramped. There were no english speaking tv channels. View? There wasn't one. There were shouting italians on one side and a building site with constant drilling the other. We asked to change rooms, but the receptionist said they were full for the next few weeks. I find that hard to believe as there was hardly anybody there at breakfast. Breakfast was also poor, just had smoked ham, scrambled eggs, croissants and fruit. Not much if you are a veggie like me. Housekeeping did a good job though of making sure the room was clean and the beds were made. Air conditioning was a god send as well, but for the prices they charge, much better hotels around. However, the location was good, it was near the Ferrovia train station stop as well as Guglie on the other side. So plenty of choice and lots of restaurants and ice cream parlours everywhere which served great food and fantastic wines.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear and specifically request a double bed, otherwise you will get a twin.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel was in a great position for us, a few minutes walk from both the water bus and the train station. The staff were really friendly, the breakfast was lovely and the room was really pretty. Only one slight downside was the air con, it was suitable for the evening but was lacking the real cold blast for when you come in our of the sun on a boiling hot day. Would definitely recommend and would come back without question.

• Stayed July 2013
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I just recently returned from a two-week trip to Italy, which included a two night-stay in Venice. I must say that the hotel really caught me by surprise in many positive ways. Prior to my arrival, I read some negative reviews about the hotel's condition and location. I was somewhat concerned because I was bringing a group and didn't want a negative experience for them.

Here are some of the things that caught me positively by surprise:

1) My room, including some of the rooms of my fellow co-travelers were very nice and clean. Small, yes (as expected in Italy), but the air-conditioning was nice and cool, and the room was clean and nice. Some had balconies overlooking the garden and they enjoyed it very much. The garden was a big plus for my group!

2) The staff couldn't have been more gracious and friendly. Each time I came back to the hotel or when they saw me, I was greeted and asked how my day has been. I had a few requests for my group, and they were very hospitable and accommodated our requests the best they could without making you feel that you're troubling them. For example, I needed laundry done the same day, and they had everything clean and ironed that same day without any issues (compare to other bigger hotels we stayed at, this hotel's service was top-notch).

3) The breakfast and availability was very good. Again I'm a bit confused about some of the negative reviews. Members of my group felt that Amadeus had the better breakfast.

I had been to Venice before and if I wasn't leading a group, I wouldn't really care to return. but I must say, the hotel experience really gave me some reasons to go back.

Yes the hotel is all the way to the other side of Venice -- and if you really want to be in the midst of the the touristy stuff, then this might not be a place to stay. But I would consider going back here to stay for the following reasons: 1) it's really close to public transportation at the Grand Canal that you can virtually get anywhere (40 minute water bus ride to St. Mark's -- not good if you're in a hurry, but fine if you want to see the city); 2) It's about a 30 minute walk to St. Mark's Square (it's not that bad) and about 20 minutes to the Rialto Bridge; 3) Many shops and places to eat around the area (withing one city block), which makes it unnecessary to have to go to Rialto or St. Mark's for meals and souvenir shopping. 4) Much more reasonably priced than other hotels; 5) Friendly atmosphere of the hotel

Some negative things to consider: Some of the rooms have thin walls and you can hear your neighbor; can be quite a distance from the city center if you really want to be there, otherwise it's easily accessible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden with balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My daughter and I had a three night break at the Amedeus - 5th to 8th July. For those who like to stay in chain hotels which are the same anywhere in the world, this is definately not for you. We stayed in the older part of the hotel, which fronts on to a busy street, but our room at the rear of this section of the building was very quiet. The room was maybe a wee bit old fashioned, but clean, comfortable and with excellent air-conditioning. The decor is Italian in style, we certainly knew we were in Venice. The location of the hotel is very convenient, walking distance from the bus station and the railway. The staff were friendly and helpful. The garden is a pleasant spot to take a break from the bustle of the city. Our only disappointment was the breakfast, which though adequate, was rather limited and lacking in what I would have thought normal breakfast food - hard boiled eggs or tomatoes, for example. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would certainly use the Amadeus again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is not a brand new sparkling modern hotel, but that's not a bad thing. The decor is old-fashioned and in need of some renovation, but it does suit the style of the hotel. It has tall ceilings, ceiling lights, open landing spaces with seating and a very small lift. We stayed here twice. Both rooms were very comfortable with great showers. The rooms were both individually decorated, large with a safe and mini bar. The bathrooms were large with very powerful showers in both rooms, which were appreciated after the heat of walking around all day.

The staff in the hotel reflect the old-fashioned look and feel of the place. Everyone was uniformed and customer service was superb. On our second stay here, we had to leave before breakfast was served, so we had a boxed breakfast ready for us to take away. When we did have breakfast in the hotel, it was fresh and lovely European style breakfast with bacon and scrambled eggs on offer too, lots of fresh juices and fruit and a ground-bean coffee machine to help yourself to.

We used this hotel either side of a cruise from Venice and the hotel looked after our bags for us so we could look around the city between checking out and the cruise, and when we got back to the hotel it was in the morning following the cruise, our room was ready early for us to check in to. There is always someone on the reception desk to help you out at any time of the day or night.

This hotel is at the top end of Venice, close to the train station and the cruise terminal. Short walking distance with your luggage from a water bus stop. You can walk to St Mark's Square in around 30-40 mins, depending on how long you stop to take photos of all the canals you walk over. It's a beautiful walk around Venice. You can get the water bus as well, the bus stop is less than 5 mins walk away from the hotel. There are lots of lovely restaurants and bars all around the hotel, and we preferred being in this area and away from the vast majority of the crowds and the costs associated with eating and drinking around St Mark's.

We would definitely stay here again, sometimes the customer service you get more than makes up for a bit of old wall paper!

Essex UK
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed here for a weekend break from 5th July. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean & tidy. Our room overlooked the rear patio area and was nice & quiet.
WiFi is included in the price, and to access this you need to key in a code to get 10 hour access. You can take handfuls of the codes at the reception though so no biggie.
The hotel is situated on a main street with many shops and restaurants so you do not have to walk miles for a quick bite. 5 minute walk from the nearest water bus stop.
Water bus 7 euros for 1 hour (in one direction - clever).
Buffet breakfast was great, smashing coffee from the machine.
A kettle and basic tea/coffee supplies in the room would have been a nice addition, but overall I would definitely not hesitate to use the Amadeus again.

1 Thank oogzy