The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #12 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 17 December 2013

What a great hotel. The location is perfect, the decor appropriately opulent Venetian. The staff attentive and professional. The renovation work was executed perfectly. The hotel is not cheap by even Venice standards, but I can think of no other place I'd stay when revisiting this amazing city!

1  Thank mattfyfe
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and its décor, result of attentive and researched renovation works and, last but not least, the attentive and discreet service provided by our professional team.

Providing our Guests with the best possible hospitality has always been our goal and we are happy having achieved it with you: thank you for having elected The Gritti Palace as your unique address when staying in Venice.

We look forward to your next visit for another experience to treasure.

Best regards,

Paolo Lorenzoni

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

A fabulous hotel! Room and public spaces all beautiful. Staff completely charming and helpful, and manage to make you feel at home straight away. We had a Prestige room - very spacious, with a sideways view of the Grand Canal, and a vast marble bathroom. Champagne breakfast on the terrace in the morning sun, even in November!

Room Tip: Check British Airways for excellent value flight/hotel deals to the Gritti Palace in the quiet seas...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at The Gritti Palace in early November and were ready to permanently move in. We had a standard room NOT facing the canal. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and the bathroom was luxurious, large and well appointed. We loved having a late afternoon drink on the deck on the Grand Canal - a better view of Venice is difficult to imagine. We dined in the Club de Doge Restaurant and in the bar and were delighted with our meals and the service, not to mention the exquisite setting. The staff at The Gritti Palace really make this hotel unforgettable; they were fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My wide and I had a very brief one night stay here in December 2013 (room 310). The hotel underwent a major refurbishment, reopening earlier this year, and the place looks great. The location on the Grand Canal is hard to beat, a few minutes walk from St Marks Square. We arrived by water taxi, which pulls up directly to the hotel. There is a terrace overlooking the water, and a bar and restaurant on the ground floor. Our room (suite) was lovely, looking out over the canal. It was very well furnished, with free wifi and complimentary mineral water and wine provided. The room had a smart bathroom and comfortable bed, this room having a generously sized lounge as well. The staff were friendly and spoke good English. Of course all this does not come cheap, but nothing does in Venice.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stayed in many hotels, and many of the nicest ones, and often my preferred style, is the more modern, open, Asian hotels. This is the complete opposite, but is an extraordinary experience. It really IS a palace. The rooms are completely different from anything I have stayed in before. The service is absolutely impeccable, yet also friendly, rather than stuffy or snooty - I would give it 6 stars if I could! My husband and I went on a BA Holiday and whilst I am really no fan of British Airways, I do think that their holidays offer the chance to stay in some amazing top, top hotels, for quite a reasonable deal - I can't IMAGINE what the rates would be, were I trying to do this myself. I am sure we were in one of the "cheapest" rooms in the Gritti, but we still were treated like royalty. The decor is wonderfully over the top, yet also in keeping. There has been a huge makeover and so the bathrooms were beautifully fitted out in grey marble, the bedroom was beautifully finished (see photo) and the dining room and downstairs areas a real treat. As this is a Starwood hotel - and apparently Starwood owns the building as well - the beds are EXCELLENT. To sit on the "deck" overlooking the Grand Canal, when we arrived, drinking a hot chocolate and admiring the amazing scenery is an experience quite unlike any other. Elio, the Maitre d' (?? I think so) was brilliant and looked after us so well at our breakfasts and at dinner. We took a Euro95 private water taxi on the way in from the airport, which is definitely the way to go, but then took a "normal" one from the nearby Giglio stop on the way back, which also worked well. The ONLY thing is that I thought our dinner at the hotel was so-so, which we found a bit typical of our meals in Venice. I would do more research on where to eat if I went back again because we were either unlucky or it just isn't really that great in general. Our evening meal in the hotel was wonderful in terms of service and all the little extras, but frankly the actual food itself was nothing to write home about. Our breakfast buffet (included in our holiday price) was a good range of fruit, pastries, cheeses and cold meats and I certainly didn't need any more than this - you soon blow your budget if you do! I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank FSHK

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your detailed and rewarding review related to your recent stay with us.

We are very happy to read that you had an extraordinary experience at the Gritti, both in terms of accommodation, which you enjoyed immensely despite being it very different from your personal taste, but most of all for the delivered service.

It is pure pleasure reading that all of our staff was able to make you feel comfortable at any interaction and that you felt being treated as royalty. Elio, one of the Maitre d’ is particularly pleased by your recognition.

On the other hands, we are sorry to read that the actual food did not make you the positive impression the service did and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you our capabilities.

We are grateful for your recommendation and for your 6 stars!

We look forward to welcoming you back when you will next visit our unique city.

Best regards,

Paolo Lorenzoni

Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Gritti Palace is five star in every way. From the minute our water taxi pulled up to the pontoon we were treated like film stars. It feels very refined and special. The staff are all excellent. We had a beautiful corner room overlooking the square at the back. We drank our bottle of welcome prosecco with some chili nuts. The furnishings are so plush and the bed was without a doubt the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in anywhere. The Aqua di Parma products smell fabulous too. Highly recommended. Oh and a benchmark facial in the spa too!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and ours at the back was very quiet, but you'll pay for a Grand Canal vie...
2  Thank saryharris
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the Gritti Palace for our honeymoon at the beginning of November 2013. The hotel itself is one of the most beautiful places in the world. We looked at numerous other hotels in Venice and are so glad that we decided to stay at the Gritti. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we felt felt at home and nothing was too much trouble for the concierge. We cannot wait to return to the Gritti in the very near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple