“Perfection - at a price - of course.....”

The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #7 of 386 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Perfection - at a price - of course.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

One of the best locations in Venice - wonderful having the private terrace to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner - or just drinks. A great benefit to be able to escape from the crowds and have nothing between you and the Grand Canal. A lovely (if expensive ) breakfast - dinner a little more mixed - wonderful service but the food seemed varaible. One gripe - please turn off or vary the piped music - it stayed the same selection for 4 days at every meal. You escape this on the terrace of course. Bedrooms and bathrooms excpetionally well-appointed and comfortable - as you would expect. Try to secure one that at least is overlooking the side canal - much nicer than facing onto the piazza side of the hotel. Bag a Grand Canal view room or suite if you can afford it! Well worth taking the private taxi service to and from the airport direct to the private jetty of the hotel. Wonderful and welcoming service from the front desk...... and dining waiters.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GreatExpectationsUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lompoc, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great base for getting to know Venice. The location is convenient for walking, water bus or water taxi, plus being on the grand canal, it's got great views. The staff was excellent, from reception to concierge, from housekeeping to wait staff. The room was comfortable, warm and welcoming. The 19th century style is beautifully realized, if not my personal favorite. Nice to be in a true 5-star hotel - super comfy bed, towel warmers, floor to ceiling marble bathroom, walk in closet with valet, good wifi, nice range of amenities. Quality everything. It will be a pleasure to return someday.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the Grand Canal.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelinFool93436
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently and while I echo much of the favourable comment of others, we had a few less than positive experiences. When we disembarked from our water taxi I expected a great welcome with people rushing to greet us but this didn't happen and in fact we had to carry our own bags into the lobby where we were then approached and directed rather indifferently to the check-in desk where the young lady was very pleasant and efficient. The rather unwelcoming feeling was not enhanced, for me anyway, by the letter of welcome in our room from the manager which was addressed only to my husband! The room was a canal view room with of course stunning views and a little balcony. The bed was large and very comfortable and the lighting unlike a lot of hotels was very good. In the early hours of our first night we were unfortunately disturbed by the loud barking of a dog right outside our room and by the calls of its owner chasing it. This was quite an unexpected occurrence in a hotel such as this and although we complained the next day, nobody got in touch or apologised before we checked out. While we were not very impressed by the lunch we had on our first day (soggy sandwiches), we were more than impressed by dinner in the main restaurant. We have stayed and eaten in a lot of the top hotels in Italy and the food here was definitely the best we have experienced. In conclusion, this is a great hotel for a special occasion, in a perfect location in a wonderful city!

2 Thank seorsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel, your near everything ,food was lovely, staff were more than helpful, if you want to step back in time this is the hotel, the only mod con was the the tele, rooms were warm comfy and CLEAN I would 100% go back

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shell_hollo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The only issue that I had with the Hotel is that it puts all the rest to shame...!
This was by far the best hotel I have ever been to. It is grand, yet relaxed. You can wear your tux or your trainers and no one will care one way or the other.

The hotel looks stunning. It has been restored wonderfully paying homage and attention to the original venetian interiors, using a lot of local materials. Fabrics, glasses, floors.

It feels more like a private house than a hotel.

The staff is very well trained, kind and fast. The concierge organised for us a beautiful boat trip. I know Venice quite well and they made sure I went to places I didn't know yet.

I am already planning a trip for next year.

6 Thank Siuzie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I've recently been to The Gritti Palace for a "honey-moon" type trip to celebrate my 24th Wedding Anniversary and had the most amazing experience in relation to services. Before I chose the hotel for the special occasion I did a lot of reserach and noticed that The Gritti Palace had a lot of excellent comments about the level of services. This drove my decision to choose The Gritti Palace and I can tell you I can only corroborate all the good excellent comments I've read before and obviously I had to add mine too! I very rarely make a review but made sure I spent the time to do this one. Trust me it is worth spending a bit more to stay at The Gritti. Although I have always loved Venice I used to say that level of services were not really great as there is more demand than supply in most areas of the hospitality industry. The Gritti has definitely changed my perception on this point and my wife and I had the most amazing time. All staff were great overall, however I must highlight the services provided by UMBERTO Vianello from the Concierge. He goes much beyond the extra mile!!!! I also received very special treatment from Lliana Quagliotto even before I arrived at The Gritti as she arranged for a very special welcome and great room for our celebration. I am sure the management of The Gritti will be aware of the importance of the staff and the quality of the service they provide to the guests and that they have to be rewarded accordingly, but I must say that people like UMBERTO you just don't find very often, and I can tell you I've been around A LOT and to many EXCELLENT hotels before either with work or on holidays, but I have never seen anything like that. Finally just wanted to add that no one should leave the Gritti without trying the food, which is simply great. Make sure you don't miss out the fresh fruits and treat yourselve and your partner with champagne and strawberries in your room with a view to the Grand Canal, a once in a lifetime experience. So thanks to all of you at The Gritti! We will be back...

Room Tip: Get a room with a view to the Grand Canal. It is worth it if you can spend time in your room appreci...
4 Thank Ricperoli
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family spent five fantastic days at the Gritti Palace in December. We were made to feel very welcome by all the staff. Our two Grand Canal rooms were exquisite with excellent views, sumptuous decor, luxurious bathrooms and superb housekeeping (who never stinted on supplies of Acqua di Parma toiletries). The welcome bottle of Prosecco and fresh flowers that were changed regularly really made the difference that set this hotel out as the best in which I have ever stayed. We used the bar every evening, the concierge were very helpful, even coming outside to pick an excellent gondolier for us, and the restaurant, in which we ate three nights, kept us all happy. This is a truly outstanding hotel

Room Tip: The view from the Grand Canal rooms is picture perfect.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family