“Loved staying here”

Ranked #79 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved staying here”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed three nights at the end of our cruise. It was a great location-- just off the port and next to the railroad station so all the vaporetti stopped there. It is a beautiful old ex-abbey as the name implies and its real outstanding feature is the lovely garden in the middle. It wish we could have gotten a room that overlooked the garden and that was not on the third floor (they say second but the ground floor is 0 in Europe). We usually stopped in the garden when we got back from our wanderings to get enough strength to get up to our room. Hey! We did a lot of walking. The room was very comfortable and clean and we had a jacuzzi. We can't get used to showers with no curtain so we had some wet floors the first day. Breakfast was great and one could take it out into the garden. Lovely. I should mention that the house staff was very accommodating and helped us with our luggage as we needed it. All in all, I would go back. I would request a garden view on a lower floor next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view and a lower floor room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Abbazia for 4 nights in July 2013. The hotel was literally right around the corner from the train station, which was very welcome as we were not traveling light! I must commend the front desk staff in particular for being extremely kind and helpful with everything from our stroller to Italian grammar. Overall, it was a delightful stay and I hotel I would stay in again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My stay at the Hotel Abbazia marked several firsts for me:
1. My first trip to Venice.
2. My first stay in a (former) monastery.
3. My first stay in a hotel where the minibar was cheaper than going to a bar!

My room was the perfect size and overlooked the relaxing and verdant garden. The high ceilings, gilt fixtures, and tall windows with shutters made me feel like a true Venetian. The elegant furnishings, marble floors, and pink and gold striped silk lining the walls made me feel like Venetian royalty! And the lobby, sitting area, and bar just made me feel glad to be there.

The other thing that sets this hotel apart from others I have stayed in during my European trip is. the front desk staff: they were unexpectedly helpful and welcoming. When I arrived tired and too early to check into my room, they took over my luggage, promised to have my room ready in half an hour, and asked if I needed to visit the restroom! Very impressive.

Oh, and one other first:
4. My first stay in a hotel where bubble bath was provided in my room. Might not sound like much, but for me, it was heaven!

Room Tip: The rooms. overlooking the garden are so peaceful, you don't realize how close you are to the ra...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank lejr
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel is located close to the train station in Venice. As you exit the trian station in front of the canal, it is on a small side street to the left, but it is easy to find. Look for the big sign for the Hotel Florida as it is on the same side street about a block back. We never had trouble finding the hotel. It is a three-to-five minute walk from the train station.

The hotel was once the site of a Carmelite order. It has a large sitting area off the lobby. That area is quite beautiful. It has a lovely outside courtyard.

The room in which we stayed was quiet and clean. It was smaller than American hotel rooms in equivalent price ranges although the bathroom was fairly large. In short, the room was more than adquate and possessed a certain old-world charm.

The hotel is situated near the canal taxis which are in front of the train station. This is convenient. The water taxis will take you almost anywhere in Venice. We bought a twenty-four hour pass. We always took the number 2 taxi as it had far fewer stops than other water taxis. Be careful that you get the taxi going in the right rdirection and that you are at the right dock. Some stoppping points have 2 docks and it is confusing.

The staff at the hotel was helpful, friendly and always courteous. And, we needed help as Venice can be difficult to navigate but is an absolutely beautiful and amazing place--but a tourist trap in every sense of the word. Watch out for the prices on St. Mark's Square. 12 euros for music while you sip a 9.5 euro coke?

This was just a great hotel both for its facilities and its location.

Room Tip: Remember, take a left outside the train station. If you hit Breks restaurant, you have gone too far...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen J
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

spend three days n the best is the location, steps away from the railway station, plus very good n friendly service. 2 downside: room too small. no water kettle in room, but the staff all hotel even five star is the same, no water kettle. but they r good to provide hot water in the bar instead. breakfast is nice n the garden is good to relax.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Excellent location, especially when you have not much time in Venice; friendly and warm staffs who are very helpful! Nice garden, ancient Italian style lobby, small but cute room with high ceiling at least.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Conveniently located to bus terminal (we bought 48 hour Actv pass for bus and ferries - strongly recommend as we used it continuously) and to train station. After travelling for 36 hours we were greeted by friendly staff. Made special effort to allow us to check in early. Great room, comfortable, clean and well appointed. Breakfast was substantial. Would have loved to have stayed more than two night.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business