“Great location and beautiful details!”
Review of Hotel Abbazia

Hotel Abbazia
Ranked #78 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Brooklyn,
“Great location and beautiful details!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I had a lovely stay at Hotel Abazzia. I arrived in Venice via train, so the location couldn't have been better. Even though it is so close to both the train station and a busy area, the hotel was wonderfully peaceful. My room was spacious and decorated with lovely fabrics and a Venetian chandelier. The breakfast spread was generous and varied, and it was even better when enjoyed in the beautiful garden.
The staff was friendly and helpful - one clerk saved the day when I arrived back after a full day tromping around the city and mentioned that I was too exhausted to go out to dinner, by suggesting that there was a good self-catering place around the corner. Thanks to him I was able to get freshly made risotto and a mini bottle of prosecco to bring back to my room :)
The only things keeping me from giving the hotel full marks were a) no elevator, which made bringing my heavy suitcases down from the 3rd floor cumbersome; and b) a snafu with my bill (combined with a clerk that didn't speak English) that made my check-out more stressful than necessary. However, I would highly recommend, and certainly return when if I'm lucky enough to get to go back to the amazing city of Venice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Brooklyn_Beaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our group stayed at the Hotel Abbazia a few weeks ago. The location is great - a 5 minute walk from the train station, and the accomodations are fine. Mirko, and staff are courteous, and very helpful, both with directions and restaurant suggestions (off main drag/great food & atmosphere/value). Would stay here again.

Paul F

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul F
NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at Hotel Abbazia for 3 days with a tour group. This was my 1st visit to Venice. I liked the location of the hotel: close to the train station (about a 3 min walk). Very convenient if you are arriving or leaving Venice by train as I was; close to the vaporetto (water taxi), gondola, restaurants and walking distance to Piazza Rome (over the big bridge) where you can get a taxi and the drop off area if you are coming from the airport.

The hotel has a very large lounge area and a small outside garden with sitting area. Since it is a former Abbey, the lounge still has the old pulpit, which does add some charm to the space. There is free Wi-Fi but very slow, and friendly staff. Continental breakfast is served in the morning – a variety of pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee machine, etc.

My room was newly renovated and clean. The bathroom had a tub with shower BUT no shower door, barrier or curtains- had to be extremely careful not to flood the bathroom when taking a shower. I can’t honestly say this hotel would have been my personal selected if it had been my choice but if a convenient location is important then this would be a good selection.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We arrived after 11pm as a result of a delayed Ryanair flight. From the bus you bear right over a modern footbridge, then follow the canal on your right for a few minutes stroll before turning left into a narrow alley just before the first buildings you find on the right. The night porter spoke good English and was very welcoming. Our room was clean and comfortable with a jacuzzi bath. Breakfast can be taken in the restaurant which is a little soulless and bland, or in the garden area which is delightful. The hotel features a nice bar area complete with pulpit ! Upon exploring Venice , the grand canal is right on the doorstep with vaporettos as close as can be. We preferred exploring on foot and discovering the hidden delights of the old town but overall were delighted with Hotel Abbazia and would return.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Gary H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were delighted to find this hotel very close to the train station. We checked in early in the morning and left our bags at the desk since our room wasn't ready, but we were offered breakfast before we wandered off to explore for the day—a generous and unexpected bonus! Three of us comfortably shared one spacious room with three single beds; it was sparkling clean and pleasantly decorated in a typical Venetian style. The lobby was impressive and inviting, the desk clerk was witty and personable. Despite being near the station, it felt safe to walk in this area at night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This lovely hotel is situated just near the Train Station . So close to everything. Great area, would definitely stay here again. There was a mix up with our booking but a phone call and thanks to Mirko at the Abazzia he had it all fixed up. When we arrived he greeted us and gave us an amazing room. So big, we had so much room. Big comfy bed, two big windows to look out over the alleyways. Huge bathroom and also a huge area for storage of clothes for hanging or in drawers. Amazing. Just wished we could have stayed longer than 2 days. The garden area is so lovely and peaceful right in the m iddle of the hotel. Breakfast was included and it was very nice. This was an old Abbey in the past and there are still lovely old features in the guest lounge area . Everyone on the front desk was friendly and helpful but have to say Mirko in particular is a great assett to the hotel. Always has a smile on his face.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is perfect. The breakfast is plentiful and varied. The lounge area is lovely, as is the garden. I stayed in October so it was getting to be a bit on the cold side, but I still spent some time enjoying the garden. There are only two things I would mention on the downside of this hotel. One is that there was a step up into the bathroom in the room we stayed in (203)...don't know if it's the same in other rooms. I think this could be a bit dangerous when you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and you are half asleep and don't remember there's a step...very easy to trip up. Same on the way out...if you forget about the step down, it could really be dangerous. Especially when you are trying to be considerate to your roommate and not turn the light on. The other issue is very minor in the whole scheme of things...we only got cushion-sized and shaped pillows on our beds. I like to have a whole pillow. It was especially silly when they put them inside large pillowcases! To end on a high note though, the day we arrived was pouring with rain and the tide was at its highest. The hotel lent us gumboots so we could visit St Marks Square and not get wet feet! All in all, I don't think you could go wrong staying at this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends