“Perfect Boutique Hotel on Grand Canal”

Hotel Locanda Vivaldi
Ranked #54 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Connecticut, USA
“Perfect Boutique Hotel on Grand Canal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

Room we booked wasn't available when we arrived so, after one night in another perfectly acceptable room, we were moved to room 302 which was just glorious! Huge for Venice with a balcony overlooking Grand Canal....
Location convenient to vaporetto stops and walking distance to Rialto Bridge and St. Marks Square. Beautiful bathroom, comfortable bed and wonderful breakfast included. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank barbwyer
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
Buongiorno Barbwyer!

Thank you for your kind feedback!
We also can't wait to welcome you again here in Venice. Warmest regards!

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

Locanda Vivaldi is beautiful, elegant, and in perfect location - on the Grand Canal 2 bridges from Piazza San Marco. The water taxi took us directly to the hotel side entrance and the hotel provided free water taxi to Murano. Our room was very large by Venice standards and spotless. The breakfast buffet was delicious and abundant.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgrant11
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 22 October 2009
Thank you and see you soon again in Venice!

hollywood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We booked a Double Superior corner room on the first floor (Italian first floor is second US). When we arrived we saw we were staring at the throngs of people on the elevated pedestrian bridge outside of the window, which the hotel did not disclose to us. My wife was irate that she would be staring at thousands of people. The hotel moved us to a very small room on the floor above. The room was the size of our master bathroom at home. We paid 420 Euros, which is $621 per night at today's exchange rate. I asked if the rate would be lower because this was a smaller room, but was told it was in the same category becuase this is a "16th Century Villa and all the rooms are different". The bottom line is if you want to stay in Venice be prepared to pay double most other major cities in the world for smaller rooms or do not expect to have a view of anything. Either you pay $1,000 per night or more for a room with a view in a luxury hotel or you downgrade to a two or three star hotel with no view if you are on a budget. The hotel includes breakfast but most flights to the US leave early in the morning, so you will not be able to use the breakfast when you leave. Also, most flights from the US arrive early in the morning but you will not be able to check in until 2 p.m. at the earliest. In a larger hotel, with a larger staff, you can usually check in earlier, but this is a small hotel with a very small staff.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foodiesouthflorida
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 21 October 2009
Dear Friend,

The corner room is one of the most requested rooms we have. It is NOT at all at the same level of the bridge, you are much higher.
Saint Mark area is the city centre, it means that is very busy during the day (but not during the night!!!), it's normal that there are many people walking in front of the hotel. But it's not noisy: we have double glasses and double windows!!!

In any case, when you asked to be changed to another room, we accomplished your request and moved you to another Superior Double.
The other room is not as big as the corner room (the one on the corner is special) but it's still very big (I don't mean big for Venice, really big). This room is overlooking the Lagoon, it means that from here you can see: Riva Sette Martiri, Giardini della Biennale, Lido di Venezia, San Servolo, San Giorgio Island, Giudecca Island, Zitelle Church, Redentore Church, Punta della Dogana, Salute Church, the Grand Canal, Libreria Sansoviniana, The column of Saint Mark Square, Palazzo Ducale and Riva degli Schiavoni. How can you say that is not worth to pay for a Superior Room because you don't see anything?!?!?!?
Where in the world (or in Venice) you find a window with a view like this?
In any case Venice is not more expensive (and the rooms are not smaller) than Paris, London, New York or any other Major city.

We made our best to accomplish your requests (also givin' you a corner room at the beginning, this is a special treatment). You didn't had any discount because you were paying the rate of a regular Superior Double, even if you asked for a corner room.

The check-in time is 14:00pm in every hotel of the world. If your room is ready earlier we are more than happy to let you go in earlier. But it's not possible to promise it because everything depends on the departure time of the previous guest (check-out is 12:00 am).This is a standard policy in every hotel of the world. If you arrive early and the room is not ready you can leave your bags on deposit and enjoy Venice!!!

West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

Reserved a double room. It was the smallest room I've ever stayed in, not large enough for two people! The shower was the size found in a motor home. I seriously doubt a large man would have fit. The hotel was close to St. Mark's Square but wished we had stayed somewhere closer to restaurants, bars and shops. Breakfast was included and decent.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank janfromtoledo
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 12 October 2009
Dear Friend,

I'm sorry that you didn't find your room adeguate.
As you said you booked a Standard Double. We gave you a room big enought for two persons. As everybody can see form your pictures (thanks for posting them!!!) the bed has two pillows, so large enought for two persons (it's a king size bed, even if it seems a bit narrower from your pic).

The bathroom it's not like a motorcoach and the shower is regular. To open an hotel you need to respect some minumum stanrdards in measure and services, otherwise you cannot have the license. This means that the bathrooms are not so small as you are saying.

From your pictures I see also that your room had a nice view on the Small Canal and on the Lagoon as well. I hope you enjoyed it!

We are very close to Saint Mark Square, where it's plenty of restaurants and bars and shops...
We also have our private restaurant exclusive for the guest of our hotel, in the rooftop terrace overlooking the Lagoon.
There is a restaurant / bar also outside of the door of the hotel on your right. I think that their door is a couple od meter far from our door.

I don't think that in Venice you can go closer to any restaurant, bar or shop!!!

Warmest regards.

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

Loved this hotel- it was like a little jewel in the glittering crown of Venice! We felt very pampered even before our arrival, as we stopped in a day early. The concierge and bellman were extremely helpful. The breakfast was included and perfect for our large group of eight (two families with children ranging from 10-22). Loved relaxing in the lobby and the gelateria next door! The price was very good for a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank NJcruiserEB
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 10 September 2009
Dear Friend,

what can I say? THANK YOU!!!
I hope to welcome you all again soon. Warmest regards,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

we stayed at the hotel in july and had a fabulous time, we wanted to recommend it to friends and told them to email roberto (manager) but unfortunately the hotel does not seem to be contactable direct by email

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dubguy
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your kind feedback and thank you also for contacting me directly by private message here in tripadvisor, to let me know about the trouble with the email. It has been very helpful!!!

I confirm you that the hotel can be reached directly by email, fax or telephone. Probably your first message has been moved automatically to the unwanted box by outlook, or the email address was wrong.
Please accept my apologise for the inconvenient!

I remain at your disposal for any question, warmest regards!

Kyoto, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Venice itself is kind of a rip-off & it took me a second trip there to figure it out but this hotel was better than the other 2 hotels that I had stayed in before. It is actually a 4-star quality hotel as opposed to the other one I tried the last time. This was my second hotel on this trip after one night in an ant-infested hotel on the Grand Canal. I stayed in the Vivaldi for 6 nights and did not encounter any major problems. The shower was tiny and I cannot imagine how big people can use it but it was always spotless so I didn't mind bumping my arms on clean walls now and again. I did report that the water went hot and cold over and over again during showers and it was never fixed but it was summer so the cold water did not bother me too much. I heard guests from 101 and 102 had the same problems. Air conditioning was my #1 priority and my room was good. Other guests at breakfast told me that they had hot rooms which would have killed me but room 110 was good and cool. A family with 2 rooms had to change from one of their rooms during their stay because of the a/c. The hot room for them was 104. (I took notes at the time.) About the rooftop terrace, great place for a drink and to enjoy the view. I have no idea how a previous reviewer could have stayed in the Vivaldi and NOT known that it was up there as there were signs in a few places directing people to it and the desk staff mentioned it twice and then the guy who helped me to my room, showed me the terrace as well. (There is NO WAY that they freshly squeezed the orange juice that I was served up there though!) I do agree with the same reviewer that they over-charge for the internet. The manager response to that review was typical. It is NOT normal in the hotel world to fleece your guests for internet use but it is normal in Venice to fleece all 10 million visitors as much as possible during their time there. It's almost 8 dollars (U.S) an hour for guests to use the internet in the lobby. It wasn't exactly worth the mosquito bites I got while sitting there. That rate is "normal" for internet cafes in the city. Hotels should offer it for free to paying guests otherwise it is just another internet cafe. I found that 2 out of 3 men at the concierge desk were very helpful. Claudio and Danielle were the 2 nice ones. The other man worked days and he was pretty indifferent, not very helpful and not easily approachable. He completely misdirected me for a day-trip to Chioggia and I am 100% sure that he did so because he could not be bothered at that time to help me. He was always busy with something on the computer and only gave quick answers. Claudio gave me detailed directions to Chioggia later on that same day and it entailed 3 modes of transport as opposed to the one way that the other man told me. He is also pretty typical of service in Venice so I was not too bothered by his attitude and approach to poor customer service. (We owe them for their service and should just be happy to be in Venice.) I just wanted a clean place with air conditioning near everything so my expectations were met. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank kobekeith
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, responded to this review, 7 September 2009
Buongiorno!

I'm sorry for the late reply to this feedback.
I'm sorry that you had some troubles with the water while you were here at Locanda Vivaldi. We checked with the technicians and everything is in order now.

The air conditioning was (and is right now) working properly in all the room. All the machines are attached together, so if one is working the other ones are working as well.

I'm happy that you enjoyed our terrace! The view from there is really amazing, it's like a Canaletto painting. And thank you also for confirming that the terrace is easy to find!

We charge a very small amount for the use of the computer (2,5 € per 30 minutes of usage), and the reason is that if the internet point is free of charge there is always somebody who use it for the whole day, and the other people cannot use it because it's not available. In my life i've been in really a lot of places, and nowhere I had a free internet connection: USA, England, France, Greece, Egypt, Italy... the most expensive rates I had to pay where in the states: 20 USD for 1 hour!!! And in any case compare our lobby to an internet café is not correct.

Concerning the service I will report your kind words to Claudio and Daniele. It's not normal that the other guy has not been helpfull. This is a mistake and I ask you to accept my apologise for this behaviour.

I hope to have you here again very soon! Thank you for your feedback and have a nice day!