“Absolutely wonderful time, well worth the reviews.”

Al Ponte Antico Hotel
Ranked #1 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We stayed here at the begining of November for 3 nights as a celebration for our's and our friends anniversaries and had a marvelous time. It well deserves all the lovely things that are said about the hotel, the staff and the location.

We arrived by water taxi at the hotels own entrance from the Grand Canal, at the recommendation of Matteo, who I had spoken to before we arrived. He also made a reservation for us at a fantastic restaurant for the night of our arrival, as it was a Saturday and we had heard that it might be difficult to get into restaurants if you hadn't booked on the weekends. His courteous and friendly manner set the tone for the whole trip.

The staff were always happy to help you, whether advising on where to go around Venice, or serving a wonderful glass of wine in the evening, enjoying the view of the rialto from the sitting area.

Breakfast was enjoyable, always plentiful and Matteo's famous egg dishes were cooked to perfection.

The loction of the hotel is great, every important site easily accessible by a few minutes walk, and arriving down the Grand Canal makes you feel like a VIP. There are even umbrellas to borrow, as it rained for 2 of the 4 days we were there, at least we got to walk on the raised platforms!

The rooms are decorated to a very high standard and always clean, we stayed in a classic room. The only niggle could be that they are slightly on the small side, but please do not be put off. I've heard most of Venices hotel rooms are like this and you don't spend that much time there as you've got the wonderful city to explore.

Overall, this is a FANTASTIC place to stay, I would recommend it to all my friends and the praise for Matteo is deserved. He was helpful when needed, talked to us to keep us company if that was required and left us to ourselves when we wanted it. BRILLIANT.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 November 2009

Magic, magic,magic! Best service, most central, most delicious breakfast we had in Italy, and the room was out-of -this-world one-of-a-kind. We immediately felt like Family. Treat yourself to this wonderful boutique hotel. You will not be sorry. It will be the only place we will ever stay in Venezia.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2009

This hotel is everything that previous reviewers say and we would not hesitate to recommend it. Location is ideal, views gorgeous, staff superb etc. However we thought it might be helpful to future visitors to bring some of the (very slightly) less excellent aspects of the hotel to the forefront so that expectations are met. We could not bring ourselves to mark down the rating to 4 but hope that the title of this review and what follows balances the picture a little.

To be completely honest before we arrived the hotel was getting 3 stars. There was a problem with our internet booking and having waited and lurked to get the junior suite for days that coincided with Yahoo’s weather being sunny (wrong!) I had done the deal. Several days later I got an email from saying they had a problem with the internet booking and I could not have the suite but a superior room. Now call me cynical but I did think somebody somewhere must have got a better offer or a valued client had pulled a favour. Having met the people concerned I do not believe they would do this so they are forgiven. In the event we adjusted our visit and stayed in a superior room (109) for three days and the suite (108) for our last night. The suite was definitely worth the extra as defined by others – fabulous views.

Next Matteo. I don’t know why but my reading of reviews didn’t express just how young and good looking he is – I kind of expected somebody middle aged and rather grand. In the event he is the epitome of charm and is the soul of the hotel. His charisma and excellent management are a huge, huge factor of the experience. Restaurant recommendations (reviewed separately) made by Matteo and Armando were the icing on the cake and really helped us have a great time. I guess what I am saying is that this is definitely a people driven experience.

But to niggles and gripes (and that is indeed all they are). Bathrooms in both the rooms we stayed in were cramped with plastic shower doors that were cheap and nasty and the toiletries were merely OK. Dressing robes and towels were on their last legs and rather thin and rough for a hotel of this standard. Nasty plastic bin in bathroom was the only bin in either room. Breakfast was nice but for me not the ‘to die for’ experience of others with the exception of Matteo’s eggs. Suite is under the breakfast room and I was aware of people moving about – not terrible but there.

In summary – is this the best hotel in Venice (indeed Italy!)? Well no. But if charm and intent were to be transferred into ratings then this would be a seven star experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Fleetcat
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Hotel Al Ponte Antico was our first stop on a 9-day whirlwind trip to Italy and it was truly a wonderful way to start off the trip. We flew in from Chicago and were very jet lagged when we arrived but just being in the water taxi on the way to the hotel woke us up and revived us. If you're trying to decide on transportation, I would definitely pay the extra money for the water taxi. (We chose to forgo the gondola ride because we felt the water taxi was just as good an experience.) Pulling up to the hotel, I could not believe that it truly was right on the Grand Canal. No matter how many times I read the reviews, I still didn't believe it was right on the Grand Canal AND right by the Rialto Bridge. Truly a fabulous location.

And the service?! Oliver was like our own personal bartender, tour guide, history teacher, and host. He was so sweet and made us feel so comfortable. And we loved Matteo, as well. He made some of the best eggs we had ever had for breakfast one morning. He had gotten them from his mother's farm. And the room you sit in for breakfast is just gorgeous. By far the best breakfasts we had in Italy.

We were only there for two nights and we so did not want to leave. We spent a lot of time on the balcony sipping on spritzs, bellinis and wine watching the boats go by. The balcony was the perfect escape because Venice is so busy; it was nice to have an "oasis" to come back to after a day of walking.

Don't get me wrong, though. We loved the "busy-ness" of Venice. Walking out of the hotel and into the hustle & bustle of the streets of Venice was so fun. And the fact that there are no cars makes it so enjoyable.

Like some of the other reviews, we did not get a room on the canal but we were totally fine with that because we spent so much time on the balcony. Our room was so quiet and relaxing. We loved it. And we had a great little view of a rooftop garden next store.

I want to go back and spend at least 5 days there. And I will come with no itinerary because Oliver and Matteo have the best recommendations. I highly, highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a fabulous place to stay in Venice!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IQTraveler
Reviewed 19 November 2009

The level of personal service I experienced during my stay has completely changed my perception of how a hotel should take care of its guests. The combination of service both at the hotel and ability to recommend activities and dining that enhanced my experience of Venetian culture was outstanding. Remembering my birthday was a great touch as well. Unfortunately any other hotel I stay with in the future will be a disappointment compared to my stay with Hotel Al Ponte Antico. While it is not cheap to stay here the staff's ability to save time and recommend economical activities and dining makes a stay here a good value.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We were only able to stay for one night but wished we could have stayed much longer. The staff was extremely helpful, called us by our first names and treated us like royality. The rooms were very nice and clean, the breakfast buffet was fantastic and the view was so amazing.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I have to agree with previous reviewers - there is something very special about this beautiful little hotel. Matteo lived up to his reputation as I walked in the door with six of my friends. He had memorized our pictures from the passports we left at check in and knew each of us by name, as did his staff as we met them during our stay. The hotel is lovely. Two of the three rooms we had booked had beautiful views of the canal - unfortunately ours only had a view of an inside alcove of some sort. This is the only critique I would make is to ask ahead of time what the view is if this is important to you. We felt completely at home here, spending a great deal of time in the beautiful room where they served breakfast. And the breakfast and coffee service was 5 star. Matteo can cook but word to the wise - don't walk around with your coffee cup - as I was informed of my "American" nature - coffee is to be enjoyed sitting in Italy and not "to go" as we do in the US - good advice! Matteo made many arrangements for us including a private tour of one of the Murano glass factories and water taxi back to airport). On check out day we were not due to leave until nearly six. We were welcome to spend as long as we wanted sipping wine in beautiful wine glasses watching the boats go by in the Grand Canal. Thank you all for your impeccable service!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends