“Al Ponte Anitco Hotel is a hotel of supreme charme with an owner and staff that take great pride in thier hotel.”

Al Ponte Antico Hotel
Ranked #1 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 January 2011

From the moment that we began our 5 night stay at the Al Ponte Anitico Hotel the hotel owner Matteo and his wonderful staff (including Oliviero) made it clear that they were there to make our stay the best they could and that we had only to ask and they would do thier best to accomadate us in any way they could. Matteo himself cooked a wonderful breakfast with fresh farm eggs any style whose yolks were almost orange and the tastyest we have ever had. We were able to eat our breakfast every morning on a lovely patio overlooking the Grande Canale and the Rialto Bridge. Our beautiful, well appointed room was decorated in traditional Venitian style and also over looked the Canal. The hotel is in a wonderful central location to all things fun in Venice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ajaxio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
Canberra
Reviewed 24 December 2010

The hotel has an amazing, outstanding location - right next to the Rialto Bridge, which make it easy to find your way back (there are signs to Rialto all over Venice, plus the water transport all goes there).
There are loads of good places to eat nearby, sights, shops etc.
The view of the bridge and grand canal is an absolute highlight, whether you're having breakfast, an afternoon coffee, an evening drink etc.
Breakfast is quality, well served. The parlour, with it's period furnishings is gorgeous, charming.
Service from everyone was exceptional, faultless, talking us through Venice and helping with restaurants, transport etc (Thanks Matteo and Barbara especially!).
The only issue we could fault was that the airconditioning was stuck on a level that we found much too hot, and this could not be adjusted. It was so hot that I found myself waking at night etc, not really able to relax in the room, and really hard to get air through our room (tiny windows etc). The fridge could also use upgrading.
Other than that, the room was great, with a spacious, nice bathroom (roof pretty low, but hey, it's OLD).
Overall, it's an outstanding, classy hotel that really made our time in Venice a pleasure - go for it if you can. When we return (no plans, but we will, maybe with friends/family) we'll organise our dates around this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Camesawleft
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I selected this hotel based on the reviews found here on Tripadvisor, and believe me, all the accolades were spot on. I've never have experienced such superior service and hospitality than from Matteo and family. From the moment we arrived, the enitre staff was extremely accommodating, offering us anything from dining recommendations to unlimited cappuccinos. The entire staff made it a point to know us by name and when my fiance' and I checked into our room, there was a bottle of Prosecco on ice on a platter of rose petals waiting for us. The attention to all the details, the location of the hotel on the Grand Canal, and the amazing staff has made this my hotel of choice the next time I visit Venice. Look no further, as you will experience the best service of your life while staying here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MIHGirl07
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We spent four nights here in 2010 and found the staff truly amazing. Breakfast and the parlor are exceptional. Balcony overlooking the grand canal is lovely. The primary imperfection was the beds, much too hard for a comfortable sleep. This place could be perfect if that were fixed. Also, the rooms are a bit dark and cramped. Ours did not have a view. The bathrooms are quite nice. The location is perfect.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jAlfano
Michigan USA
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The location of the Hotel Al Ponte Antico was perfect for seeing the highlights of Venice. The room was clean and nicely appointed. One of the highlights was the Hotel's terrace overlooking the Grand Canal and the wonderful views it offered, both of the canal and the Rialto Bridge. We not only enjoyed our daily breakfasts on the terrace but spent time during the evenings overlooking the canal and enjoying the lovely atmosphere. Be sure to have Mateo or his staff make you a cappuccino - they were the best I had in all of Italy.

Venice is a lovely city and the Hotel Al Ponte Antico provides exceptional hospitality. The service we received from Mateo and his staff made us feel like prized guests in their home. They also offered excellent concierge service - recommending restaurants, gondola service, places to see and providing water taxis to the mainland and Murano Island. The staff was always ready to serve you. Because of Mateo and his wonderful staff we are planning a return visit to this hotel next year for our 25th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2Live2TravelNow
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I did not stay at this hotel, but I want to share my experiences with the online booking system of this hotel. One of the advantages of online booking is that one can make repeated cancellations and rebookings without any trouble. I had to cancel and rebook my reservation at this hotel several times (>8) because of scheduling changes and uncertainties imposed by my business schedule in Europe during a planned visit to Germany and Italy in May 2011. Venice would have been a second stop after a Germany business trip. As such, I needed to reserve a room early on, but had to cancel repeatedly because of date changes imposed by hosts in Germany. Matteo, the owner of Antico, e-mailed me , and told me that he thought I was not serious. And that he would not accept my reservation. I found this highly unprofessional and explained to him my circumstances. He did not accept my dilemma. In any event, I decided to book elsewhere. In retrospect, having experienced Italian "hospitality" in the past elsewhere, that bordered on racism, I cannot help but wonder whether this establishment is simply being xenophobic. Overall, not a positive experience with an establishment that is supposedly rated so highly for "service".

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
10 Thank DragonDen747
Richmond
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I had booked this hotel after reading all the reviews on TA. Even though I have discount travel priveleges at other properties this was just to interesting to pass up. What a great decision this turned out to be and worth the $$. Booked room 101 about 9 months out. Arrived Oct. 4th and decided to pony up for the private water taxi from airport to hotel. Friends, this is money well spent! In my opinion you can skip the gondola if you like. After traveling all night to arrive into Venice the transfer was spectacular and brought tears to my eyes. 2 people, 5 pieces of luggage, believe me you don't want to struggle at this point. The hotel has a private pier right on the grand canal. BIG LESSON here- You will be able to access this if the water rises. We met others onboard our cruise that were not able to arrive at their pier due to the rising water, the water taxi could not fit under, and they ended up dragging luggage for several blocks and over bridges. Definetly not a good experience, especially if you paid for water taxi service. Never would have occured to me.... We had only to wait a few minutes for our room which looks exactly like the pictures on the site. Super Clean, only negative is the small shower situation. We recieved several excellent restaurant recommendations. Mateo and his entire staff are fantastic and it would be my first choice if I were heading to Venice agian. The location is perfect. We took the advice of Mateo and just enjoyed walking the city, and truthfully I didn't feel I missed anything without the gondola ride. FYI, our transfer company offered a tour of the grand canal on the way to the hotel which is a great way to go.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple