Hotel La Fenice Et Des Artistes
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Bel Sito e Berlino(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$225
Hotel Flora(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$294
US$273
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssingle roomquiet squaresan marcocroissantscharming hotelitalian hotelstucked awayhamminutes walk awaywater taxitop floorperfect locationrialto bridgebreakfast was includedthe hotel websitewithin easy walking distancevenetian style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful week in this hotel.
It is a great place to stay: the service is excellent, as well as the location. All people working here are very kind and always willing to provide service. Margo was one of our favourites.

Our room was large, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast offered far more choice than we would have expected.

The San Marco Place and Rialto are within approximately 10 minutes walking distance, so you can take almost any vaporetto you like. And still, the place is quiet, so you can sleep very well.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Saskia v
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Excellent hotel which I chose because I had booked to go to the opera (the building is well worth a visit for its glorious interior whether you're an opera fan or not) and as a fiftysomething first timer in Venice wanted to be nearby so getting back at night would be easy. Therefore, next door fitted my brief superbly! (And I now know that Venice is one of the safest places I've ever been as a single female walking around in the evening...even along some narrow passages etc.) So top marks for location...and just a few minutes walk to everything central and/or a vaporetto stop to take you further afield. In terms of the hotel itself...trust the directions on the hotel website and you'll get straight there...I can't understand all the 'difficult to find' comments. My room was large for a single and being on the top (4th) floor (lift goes from 1-3) it was quiet and my sleep was only threatened by bells and seagulls...lovely! The room was spotlessly clean. The reception staff were all helpful without exception. They were patient in explaining routes, booking excursions and advising me on the weather. "Do your boat trip today because it will rain tomorrow..." I did and it did...but it cleared up quickly. Breakfast was great. I had one meal at the restaurant next door where you get a 20 percent discount as a hotel resident and the other evenings I was out and about. I found prices in line with London at all levels...even a spritz sitting on the San Marco quay was less than I'd feared but perhaps things are more expensive in high season. It is perfectly possible to eat and drink cheaply. I could go on about Venice but sticking to the hotel...any downsides? I would love to have been able to get a coffee easily and quickly when coming in at night...maybe a machine tucked away somewhere? And although my room was fine my windows were high so no view of any kind. But I think I'd trade quiet for view given that there's plenty to look at as soon as you exit the building. And I had a bath and not a shower but again...not a major detail for me but might be for some. In summary I'd definitely rebook there. My star rating is not based on amenities but on how it fitted my needs for this trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Moretravelled
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just returned from 4 nights in Venice with my mother (I'm nearly 57 and she's a bit older - I'll leave the rest to your imagination as I'm not allowed to say how old she will be this year - she is having an un-birthday!), staying at this hotel and we loved it! We were put in a twin room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the canal (the one in their photos, with the red flock wallpaper). The staff were friendly, in particular the giggly barman who kept mis-hearing (or misunderstanding) my orders ... one glass of wine ordered, two poured (shame - I had to help out with that one!); Spritz ordered, espresso delivered. Sure, it's a bit jaded in parts, and the electrics were a bit worrying (one socket hanging off the wall exposing bare wires, and a pull-cord INSIDE the shower cubicle - no idea whether it was live or not but I'm still here!), and the mish-mash of pictures on the walls are quite bizarre!

Breakfast was a typical European small hotel breakfast: 3 types of croissant, bread, cheese, ham, cornflakes, fruit, yoghurt, jams, honey, marmalade. If you're looking for a full English, forget it ... but you're in Venice!

The shower was powerful and hot, the room cleaned every day, clean towels. We did not find the room dirty or musty at all.

Loved the little bar area with the many signed photos of past famous residents, including Pavarotti! Dame Gillian Lynne had stayed the week before (she signed the guest book) and has been going there since 1979!

The position couldn't be more central, 10 minutes walk to St Mark's Square, 15 to Accademia (a lovely area).

As for Venice, for someone who has no interest in religion but likes architecture and art, a shorter trip would have probably sufficed (or am I just being a heathen!). It's SOOO easy to get lost and the walking and walking and walking can get very tiring ... if you DO get lost, as happened to us on Day 2 in particular, you cannot just hop in a taxi and expect to be delivered to the right place - you have to work it out for yourself, no matter how long it takes, which, for mum, was exhausting on that particular day. Likewise, we didn't dare travel too far from the hotel in the evening as we were concerned about finding our way back in the dark.

However, the hotel is close to a few restaurants, one in particular that we loved - VinoVino, almost next to the Teatro la Fenice (the Opera House) which the hotel is almost (or might actually BE) attached to.

Price-wise, we were pleasantly surprised - having been told to expect exorbitant prices we found that, actually, it was very similar to the UK. Very easy to get a light lunch with a drink for €6-€7 euros. Dinner with wine (although we're not huge eaters) €20-€30 a head - yes, you can eat much more expensively, but you certainly don't have to. We also found that entrance fees were very reasonably - Opera House €9, Peggy Guggenheim Museum €14, Ca' Pesaro Galleria €10.

Would NOT recommend the Escursioni Alle Isole "island boat trip" (€20). It visits Murano, Burano and Torcello. At Murano you alight at an ex-glass-making factory where you witness a 10 minute display and are then guided into a shop. The visit only last 35 minutes so there is no time to see any of the island. Likewise, at Burano - another 40 minute stop - we had just about enough time to find a loo and grab a quick coffee, as we were gagging by this point. Then on to Torcello for another 45 minute stop which, because of the long walk to get to the "sights" (mum has been before so knew how long it was), we didn't even bother doing as it would have been a "there and back to see how far it is" experience and little else! Far better to get a day ticket for the ACTV "bus" and do it all in your own time.

And watch out for midges! I foolishly left my Repel 100 at home - and regret it now as I am covered in little midge bites on my face and arms!

Room Tip: I requested a room overlooking the canal by email prior to arrival and was given it (No. 256). Have no idea what the other rooms were like.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BT55
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel as part of a suprise for my birthday. it was very hard to find as it was tucked away in a side street.
The room needs desperately renervating. The toilet had not been flushed on arriving, plugs were missing, the room looked dirty. The wardrobes smelt of must so I didn't dare to hang my clothes in there incase they smelt.
We stayed out of the room most of the time.
I found the reception staff very rude. we went down to the reception to ask them to see if they would ring to see where our water taxi was picking us up from. She rudely replied ' it wasn't booked through them so she didn't no' after demanding her to ring she eventually did.
On departing we had to leave at 3.15 am, there was no one on reception at all, we could hear snoring coming from the next room very loudly. after waiting 10 minutes we decided to leave the key on the desk and head out, the front door one side was locked so we struggled to get out our suitcases. Then the receptionist finally awoke, rudely saying we had to pay the taxes charge, I explained we had been waiting for him for 10 minutes at the desk but he was asleep. we still had to pay, but I found it very rude and bad service!

the positives were the location of the hotel and bed was changed every day.
Shan't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Miss-hollz
Reviewed 8 April 2014

A very lovely hotel that made our stay very enjoyable. Close to St.marks square, the Grand canal and the Rialto bridge. The breakfast was enjoyable, in a nice, clean dinning area, our room was old, vanician in style but clean and more than adequate. I would absolutely stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple