“The best food we had in Italy...and we helped make it. :)”

Acquolina Cooking School
Ranked #5 of 38 Food & Drink in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Marika's warm, functional kitchen equipped with the most modern technology, you will have the pleasure of preparing both typical venitian dishes and more, using the fresh herbs grown in the garden of the beautiful old venitian villa: villa inespartecipate actively in the preparation of ravioli, tagliatelle, risotti, local specialty of fish and meat, vegetables and dessert.each class last for 4 hours and finished with tasting of the menu prepared. Maximum 10. Folder with recipes is given to each partecipant
Reviewed 2 July 2014

If you would like to cook and eat the best of Italian cuisine, this experience is for you. Marika was a fantastic teacher, she took her time to explain and re-explain things that we struggled with. The course gave the base skills to go away and confidently make our own pasta based meals.

There are newer reviews for Acquolina Cooking School

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The lessons I learned at Marika's class are benefitting ALL my cooking--French, Indian, you name it--as well as Italian. I've studied all the major authors, starting with Julia, but no book can teach like a hands-on presence: I've cooked onions 'till they are transparent' countless times, but I'll never cook them the same way again. So many things fell into place for me under Marika's guidance. I've even made some changes in what I thought was a settled batterie de cuisine! By and large, Marika simplifies, so well chosen fresh products can shine; 'respectful' cooking is also easier cooking, I think. I now make risotto without a recipe! I'll admit that the price of the lesson had seemed steep, as I am an experienced cook, and I only went because my friends wanted me to. But I now pronounce the experience priceless.

Marika C, Proprietario at Acquolina Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Martha,

Thank you very much for taking the time of writing a review. I know you were already an accomplished cook and I am very honored to hear you've learned more from me and that you can now make risotto without a recipe!!! Happy cooking!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My mother and I didn't have too much time in Venice, but we wanted to experience something authentic and local. I found Marika's class online, and it looked great.

Getting the ferry to Lido was in itself a beautiful experience. When we arrived, we sat in Marika's breathtaking garden and enjoyed a cappuccino. Then we headed inside to start the class.

It turned out that my mother and I were the only ones who had registered that day, so we got extra attention, which was excellent. The kitchen is just gorgeous. Marble everywhere, and tons of space. We chose to learn how to make pasta. And learn we did! It's not easy! But in no time at all, Marika gave us enough confidence to start slinging that dough around like we had known how to do it all our lives. It was so much fun!

The time FLEW by. Marika and her kitchen staff were amazing, making us laugh and learn the whole time. Soon, we had finished four different recipes for pasta, and we sat down to an amazing lunch - complete with Prosecco - while our dessert (panna cotta) chilled.

Marika really was extraordinary. She not only taught us, but gave us great advice on where to visit. She even sat down with my mother and talked jewelry for a while, which was helpful, since we ended up buying a necklace for my sister's wedding.

We got back to Venice in time for an afternoon stroll, a dinner, and then a nighttime drink with friends. It really was a perfect experience.

I HIGHLY recommend it.
Jonathan

1  Thank jlmonro
Marika C, Proprietario at Acquolina Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for joining me in my class. There are a lot of choices for activities in Venice and I am honored that you decided to take part in one of my classes while having only a few hours in Venice!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My daughter and I signed up for the full day market shopping and cooking class. We had a fabulous experience. Although I thought I knew the subject reasonably well, I learned a lot about selecting the freshest produce and seafood during the market tour. We then had lunch and wine at two different cichetti places. Marika is very engaging and personable. She has a very extensive culinary background and she does exclusive events for high-end customers in Italy and New York.

All in all a great experience.

1  Thank P C
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I attended Marikas Cooking Class, early May and it was an experience to cherish for a lifetime. Her fabulously gorgeous kitchen, gleaming hi tech appliances yet insistence on using simple, organic, fresh Produce. Her vast and infinite knowledge of Italian delicacies, yet persistence on teaching Pasta and sauces all made from scratch. Marika is a bundle of hi octane energy yet she is a patient and amazing teacher. The food prepared was exquisite and the pairing with its accompanying wines was bellisima! I will always be reminded of Marika when I cook Italian from now on.... And in the words of my Italian Guru ...Ouu..Laa..Laa!!!