“Location, location”
Review of Alcyone Hotel

Alcyone Hotel
Ranked #289 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Hotel Alcyone is a very short walk from the Rialto bridge at the Grand Canal. The water buses and taxis are easily accessible which means not far to walk with your suitcases, no stairs to climb, no canals to cross. it's also an easy walk to San Marco square. Shops and restaurants surround the area. Gondolas glide past the back door to the hotel making breakfast in the cantina a delightful experience.

Room Tip: there are NO elevators, so aim for the lowest floor possible. Rooms are small so adding an extra bed...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We loved this little hotel, it was so clean and the location could not be better. Nice breakfast in the morning, right next to a canal, Gondolas start coming past at 9am! Venice is such a beautiful city, we stayed here 4 nights and would definitely stay again. Lovely rooms, very quiet, only downside is that the bathrooms are a bit small, but its hard to find En-Suite rooms in Venice at this price point. Oh, and there's no lift, didn't bother us as we travel light, but a few people had shocked looks on their faces that had cases almost as big as they were!
Highly Recommended

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We loved this little hotel which is just around the corner from Rialto Bridge & close to St Marks Square. Take a Canal room & you'll be serenaded by passing gondolas singing haunting operatic pieces as they pass your window - priceless!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank CGinEspania
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and the hotel overall is very nice. The rooms are small and our window was away from the street, hence there was little light. But if you want to explore the city, it doesn't matter.

Breakfast was alright, fresh fruit and some bread, cereal and good coffee.

For the price it's ok, the walk from the San Marcos square is short and you are right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Partner and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights when we were in venice in June 2012. It is an ok hotel, worked well enough to sleep and as a base for our trips.

PROS:
Fantastic location: you are in the middle of things and only a 5 min walk away from the San Marco square. For the price we paid for this hotel (110euros per night) I thought it was a really good deal.
Rooms are nicely decorated, though smelly (see below).
Good size room (you're in Venice, don't expect massive rooms unless you pay big bucks)
Bathroom clean
Airconditioning working well

Neutral
Breakfast was ok. Good for Italian standards, and good for the price of the hotel
No elevator, but that is normal in Venice (and honestly, two or three flights of stairs are only a struggle if you are overweight or disabled)

Cons
UNFRIENDLY!!! We found a lot of locals very unfriendly, but we had hoped that at least the people in the hotel would be kind. They are not. Lady at reception barks at you at check in, lady at breakfast looks like she is going to eat you alive if you dare ask for anything. NOT pleasant and a major turn off.
Strange smell in the room: the room was fully upholstered which looked really romantic, but there was an odd smell that reminded me of dust and cigarettes. We kept the window open for most of the evening to get some fresh air. Unfortunately it also affected my good night sleep,as I sometimes felt like I was suffocating a bit. I think someone with asthma or allergies would have really struggled in that room!

Conclusion: if you want a hotel in a really good location and couldn't care less about service or a fancy room, this hotel will do fine. But if you like a smiling face when you walk into the hotel and a comfortable room, stay far far away from this place.
I think if we were to do this again, we would get a hotel a bit further away that was nicer and friendlier, and just walk a little bit longer when we wanted to see things.

I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Please guys listen careful. Don't think it's a 3 STARS hotel.
I lost like 330,00 Euros becose
No extra pillows, no elevator, no extra blancket, no water or somthing to drink at night. The TV, was only 3 or 4 channels with very bad image.

I ask for extra pillow for my wife, they attender ask me to wait 10 minutes, i wait like 20 and got down again, he didnt even lokked at me, not once. Always rude on tone voice and never look at me when i was talking to him. I ask him again nicely about the pillows, then he told me he couldnt leave the reception. I explain to him nicely again that i need that extra pillow for my wife. And he said its not a politica from the hotel give another pillow. But until he said that i was waiting for 30 minutes!!
I insist, and every time i try to talk to him about it he said "go to sleep", and keep repeting that everytime i try to say something! I couldt sleep anymore, i was so nervous but i couldnt do nothing! Next day i check out, went to other hotel and LOST 330,00 Euros. And guys, even if those things didnt happened to us this hotel with all working DONT WORTH that money! Now i ll ask for VENERIA website for refund me for 2 days and the most important. VENERIA.com PLEASE DON'T SEEL THIS HOTEL FOR NO1 ELSE!! IT's not FAIR!!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room, go to another Hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

It was so (unseasonably) cold in our room, we kept waking up. The next day we asked how to work the heater, they said it had been turned off for the summer. A blanket? No, they only had sheets. We asked to speak to the manager. He 'wasn't in Venice', come back tomorrow. The next day, the manager "didn't turn up this morning". Eventually another receptionist told us that the manager was almost never there because he ran 'many other hotels'.
Asking if we could somehow make a complaint to the manager because we couldn't sleep in a room we'd paid 200 euros a night for, we were told that 'the room is very nice, you can't complain'. There was no sense of customer service from one woman in particular, who refused to speak to us in either French or English despite speaking both languages, answering our questions only in Italian.
Another disappointment was the roof terrace, which is very badly looked after, with parts of the floor stepped through and the sun loungers very dirty.
Good points: the rooms were clean and the breakfast was sufficient (if not a little cheap).
This could be a nice hotel but the manager clearly has too many priorities aside and thinks that he can rely on its central location to attract enough customers not to bother with providing them with a decent service.

Room Tip: Canal-side rooms are coldest according the receptionist.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple