“Mask heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atelier Marega

Atelier Marega
Ranked #12 of 276 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Venice, Atelier Marega means a wide range of masks: from the typical Venetian ones, the most fanciful and colored ones, to huge creations used also for smart fittings and furnishings. Mask are made of "paper-mache" according to the ancient traditions dated back to the beginning of the XIVth century. Morever, you can rent or buy theatrical and historical costumes, accessories, three-cornered hats, mantels, wigs, shoes and tuxedos. We are open every day from 10 AM to 7.30 PM. We have four shops in Venice: -Calle Larga San Polo 2940/b, Venezia (vicino alla chiesa dei Frari) -Campo San Rocco 3046/a, (vicino alla Scuola di San Rocco) -Fondamenta dell'Osmarin 4976/a -Fondamenta dell'Osmarin 4968
Liverpool, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Mask heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I visited this store based on the fantastic reviews on here and I wasn't disappointed. The masks are so beautifully designed that it really is hard to choose which one to buy! Their renaissance costumes are equally as beautiful. I was so impressed by the store that I made another trip there the next day to buy a couple more! Shop assistants were so friendly and very informative. I recommend this store to anyone!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank HelenBezzo

Madison, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The perfect mask”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Searching for a mask in Venice is easy, but the perfect mask can be found in this little costume shop on the side of a canal. After trying on masks all day I stopped in Atelier Marega, definitely a higher end costume store. You can immediately tell by the lack of overcrowding of masks and people in the store as you would find in the regular stores near the Rialto or San Marco square. The masks here were much more intricate and expensive than the regular stores. I tried on a white mask that seemed to be molded for my face, it was white and laced with ribbons and beading. It was the most exquisite mask I had ever seen and about 60 euros. I thought I would be able to find one I liked as much at a lesser price. But after a few more hours of searching I knew I was wrong. I had to retrace my steps through the Venetian canals and when I finally found it, much to my disappointment it had closed at 6 and I was leaving that night. I noticed the light on a few doors down from Atelier. There was a small woman painting a mask inside what looked to be a cross between a workshop and mask store. I went inside hoping to find something similar. But to my surprise she said both stores were managed by the same people and that she had made the mask I tried on earlier. She was able to unlock the other store, I was so grateful I bought two masks!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Lanitrip
spendacone
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A work of art!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stumbled upon this store while shopping in Venice. I purchased a gorgeous mask for my daughter's room and she loved it! The detail is amazing and the fabric is stunning! It is a piece of art that we will treasure for many years to come!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank spendacone
Atelier M, Proprietario at Atelier Marega, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Spendacon,
thank you very much for your lovely review. We are very glad that you like our shops and aboveall that you love our work, we are happy that you love our details, and our masks, we hope to see you again here in Venice.
Savannah, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Beautiful masks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

You will see masks everywhere in Venice, but before you purchase, go to this store. They are beautiful, well made and quality. Not inexpensive, but I purchased two and my friend one. The artist is going to sign and date each one.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cheryl L
Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Maquerade! Paper faces on parade, masquerade!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I spent three days in the magical Venice, and after seeing numerous shops and stands selling the awesomeness that are carnivàle masks, Atelier Marega is among the best. I found the store on day one but decided to wait *just in case*, though I had a gut feeling that this would be where I purchased my souvenir. The lady who helped me both days was polite and patient, informing me that custom masks could be made if given enough time (something I badly wanted to do but ran out of time to do so). I was further thrilled to actually witness her in the process of making said Venetian masks, as I didn't want to buy something that wasn't made in the city, and thus, fake. The prices were a decent range, depending on size and details (of course). It was extremely difficult to choose only one, but I am overly joyed with my choice. As I was traveling with the mask as a carry on, the lady reassured me through words and demonstration that the mask I chose wasn't all that fragile, and that the feathers easily bounced back into place no matter how much you pressed them down - and then she packaged it quite well, which I appreciated.

Should I ever get a chance to return to the city, I will most definitely be buying from AM again.

Visited July 2013