“Best Costume Shop in Venice”
Review of Atelier Marega

Atelier Marega
Ranked #15 of 324 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Venice, Atelier Marega means a wide range of masks: from the typical Venetian ones, the most fanciful and colored ones, to huge creations used also for smart fittings and furnishings. Mask are made of "paper-mache" according to the ancient traditions dated back to the beginning of the XIVth century. Morever, you can rent or buy theatrical and historical costumes, accessories, three-cornered hats, mantels, wigs, shoes and tuxedos. We are open every day from 10 AM to 7.30 PM. We have four shops in Venice: -Calle Larga San Polo 2940/b, Venezia (vicino alla chiesa dei Frari) -Fondamenta dell'Osmarin 4976/a
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Chandra and her tailor are wonderful! If interested in buying a costume, you can try on samples and buy off the rack, or have one custom-made to your liking. Lots of options on costumes, fabrics, wigs, masks, and shoes.

All reviews
"tourists"
"euros"
"opera"

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I visited this store based on the fantastic reviews on here and I wasn't disappointed. The masks are so beautifully designed that it really is hard to choose which one to buy! Their renaissance costumes are equally as beautiful. I was so impressed by the store that I made another trip there the next day to buy a couple more! Shop assistants were so friendly and very informative. I recommend this store to anyone!

1  Thank HelenBezzo
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Searching for a mask in Venice is easy, but the perfect mask can be found in this little costume shop on the side of a canal. After trying on masks all day I stopped in Atelier Marega, definitely a higher end costume store. You can immediately tell by the lack of overcrowding of masks and people in the store as you would find in the regular stores near the Rialto or San Marco square. The masks here were much more intricate and expensive than the regular stores. I tried on a white mask that seemed to be molded for my face, it was white and laced with ribbons and beading. It was the most exquisite mask I had ever seen and about 60 euros. I thought I would be able to find one I liked as much at a lesser price. But after a few more hours of searching I knew I was wrong. I had to retrace my steps through the Venetian canals and when I finally found it, much to my disappointment it had closed at 6 and I was leaving that night. I noticed the light on a few doors down from Atelier. There was a small woman painting a mask inside what looked to be a cross between a workshop and mask store. I went inside hoping to find something similar. But to my surprise she said both stores were managed by the same people and that she had made the mask I tried on earlier. She was able to unlock the other store, I was so grateful I bought two masks!

3  Thank Lanitrip
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stumbled upon this store while shopping in Venice. I purchased a gorgeous mask for my daughter's room and she loved it! The detail is amazing and the fabric is stunning! It is a piece of art that we will treasure for many years to come!

2  Thank spendacone
Atelier M, Proprietario at Atelier Marega, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Spendacon,
thank you very much for your lovely review. We are very glad that you like our shops and aboveall that you love our work, we are happy that you love our details, and our masks, we hope to see you again here in Venice.