“Don't go here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Baltimore, Maryland
“Don't go here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We( two couples) visited Venice in September 2013 and stayed in sestiere Santa Croce. First, we ordered water and wine, a Valpolicella from the region, which was overpriced at 28 euro and of inferior quality. The water and wine were poured quickly and spilled onto the table and wine was poured into a glass already filled with water. No apology. Now the food- The pasta bolognanese was dry and lacking meat sauce, at best , something ordered from the kids menu. The risotto with seafood for two was very salty, fishy tasting and a saucy mess. The hotel clerk told us to ask for Giovanni- the " front man" who is skilled at scamming tourists, serving bad food at an inflated price. Most of the food was left on the plates and " il conto , per favore" was our escape from this awful trattoria.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“Only (fresh) fish, simple and truly venetian traditional cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I live in Venice, but I write in English, to be useful for foreign people. This is my reference restaurant, for both family, friends and guests, when I want to have a traditional dinner fish-based. The fish is chosen day by day at the market and it is catch/dependent. You cannot order something that is not fresh. The motto is : "the fish should die here".
This is the most important thing for a fish restaurant, I think.
The antipasto are amazing in quantity and variety, the rice (risotto) and the pasta con pesce fantastic. You can have both fried or oven-cooked or grilled fish and seafood, mainly from the Adriatic Sea. Try Seppie col nero. Drink Prosecco and finish with traditional Sgroppino
The ambient is familiar, and is mainly populated by venetian people, professionals, university professors, medical doctors, etc. Tourist are more than welcome ONLY IF they do not ask "fish and chips" or "pizza". If you desperately need a steakhouse, search elsewhere.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank PierpaoloCVenice
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“TOTAL RIP OFF!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was the worst dinner we had in venice. We chose it as nice setting by canal but the food was vile.....we ordered scampi which was very expensive so we expected lovely fish - how wrong could we be. They were the size of a very small shrimp and the chips were oven chips! Not what I expect from Italy....we can get better food from the worst take-away in our town!!! Also got charged an arm and a leg for bread,service,water,etc, etc........ It's the first time I have written on Tripadvisor but I feel so strongly as this eating experience was SO AWFUL. Told owner....he could not care less...just another tourist!!!! I have got to put a rating in but would not give it a rating at all!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Venice, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DONT EAT HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Very terrible. DO NOT GO HERE.
Was told to come here by my hotel - when I arrived I saw the menu did not have much variety. I ordered a beef fillet. The bread that arrived tasted stale. The beef arrived super rare - so I asked if it could be cooked a little less pinky/red. The waiterss was sweet, and she took it back. I saw the chef GLARE at me... then it took almost 15 minutes for the beef to come back and when it did... it was SO OVERCOOKED... I took one bite and it had no taste and was so dry I could barely swallow. I told Gionvanni ad he did not apologize and still charged for it. What a loser. This place SUCKS DO NOT GO HERE. Spaghetti was also so bland.. fries were gross... 100 euro for this ...

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Lauretta S
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Recommended by the hotel desk clerk, Giovanni was welcoming and attentive. Enjoyed a fish appetizer and spaghetti with clams - good food!

Visited June 2013